1.    #1  
    it seems as though there are always caveats given when talking about themes. Are they generally safe? Why must they be uninstalled before updates? Have yet to get my Pre so I have not had any persoal experience with them. Use or don't use??
    They are not safe because Precentral doesnt check them. I can tell you that i installed a theme called "Black Out Revised" and it totally messed up my Pre and i had to doctor...So your safe bet is to stay away from them.
    I've installed many themes from Preware and never had any problems. Every now and then one will act odd while the Pre is on touchstone,but they're easily uninstalled. They must be uninstalled before updating...
    Themes can alter many files of the phone's system that are required for the phone to work properly. So there is a risk to them, yes.

That is also why they MUST be removed before an update. Updates overwrite existing OS files. If you have a theme on the device, it can corrupt the operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    I've installed many themes from Preware and never had any problems. Every now and then one will act odd while the Pre is on touchstone,but they're easily uninstalled. They must be uninstalled before updating...
    Well, go install Black Up Revised and comeback with the good news callderek
    i've had some themes that had parts of it stick after removal, and others that came of perfectly after uninstalling. i don't think it's accurate to say that they are all going to be a problem. but, as was mentioned above, some of them do go pretty deep and make a lot of changes. i like those ones. a theme is a lot more than a few new icons and a new wallpaper.

with as easy as it is to restore a pre to factory settings using the doctor, i don't see any reason to stay away from trying just about anything. just make sure your read (several times) and follow the directions with whatever you're doing.