Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    I've had a Sprint Pre for a few months now; it's my first smartphone. And I would consider myself more tech-aware than the average consumer when it comes to mobile phones. But lately I've found that my interest in the Pre has hindered my interaction with other smartphones and Operating Systems.

    So I've been trying out my friends' phones; the iPhone 3GS and Blackberry's mostly, as well as one or two Android devices, to get a feel for the UI and whatnot.

    And I'm starting to think that WebOS users are being very nit-picky about bugs and quirks. Every single phone I've used has had bugs; yes even the "holy" iPhone. There have been times when I try to open an iPhone app and it refuses to run. Very reminiscent of the TMC error some WebOS users are encountering. RIM's app catalog is very confusing to use and many of the apps cost WAY more than the average WebOS app.

    There are some obvious tweaks our OS is missing; better email features, more specific settings. But for the most part, I would say WebOS as it stands now at 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1 is definitely on par with other smartphone OSes.

    To each his own, I say. If WebOS is right for you, then great. If it isn't, that's cool too. Making complaints about WebOS needing to be more like the iPhone or Blackberry is ridiculous. Things are different for a reason. Enjoy the fact that you have options and are free to choose whatever smartphone works best for you.
    I am, therefore I think
  2. #2  
    could not word it any better myself, my work phone is a blackberry and i hate it, especially since I'm so tuned in to swiping stuff on my pre and get frustrated when i find out my work phone does not do it lol. but IMO blackberry is very buggy and missing a lot of things, then when i put it all in to perspective, webos is the sure way to go, bugs and all
  3. #3  
    This is completely off topic, but you know what's weird? Engadget never posted anything about us getting an update. :'( I guess they're too concerned about their iPad coverage.. Sometimes engadget confuses me..

    Anyways, yes webOS is much more awesome than any other phone OS out there right now. I REALLY REALLY hope that Palm doesn't die off and webOS dies.. I love it sooo much.
  4. #4  
    Hello,

    Well, I saw the update about 1.4.1 first on Engadget (albeit for non-us customers first, but updated with Sprint). Link:

    Reports of webOS 1.4.1 update now coming in, Update: 1.4.1.1 available for Sprint -- Engadget


    Best,

    John
  5. #5  
    Hello,

    Well, I saw the update about 1.4.1 first on Engadget (albeit for non-us customers first, but updated with Sprint). Link:

    Reports of webOS 1.4.1 update now coming in, Update: 1.4.1.1 available for Sprint -- Engadget

    However, I will say that the iPad coverage has been pretty deafening. I am betting that more than a few pairs of pants have had to be changed over the past couple of days.


    Best,

    John
  6. #6  
    Thanks for the link, didn't see that on the front page last night at all.
  7. #7  
    I have no problems with WebOS itself. I think it's the best system out there at the moment, and at least has the best potential. There are some things I would like to see change and of course there's a few bugs but what really ****es me off is Palm's attitude towards non-US users. And I know I'm not the only one, people are getting real tired of it now.
  8. #8  
    You're absoutely right, and it's not just the Pre, or any other smartphone. I'll just point out that it's often not a problem with the product itself, it's the idea have that every product they buy is going to be perfect for them, no matter what they buy. That's totally unrealistic. It gets really annoying when somebody buys a product based on a tag like smartphone, looks at a few neat features (hey, it's got a big screen and plays games!) and totally overlook everything else they won't be happy with.

    Oh well. I've been in retail long enough, and I've been fortunate to work for a music store that's less concerned about selling the hot product of the month as much as possible as they are selling a less profitable product and having that customer come back, usually with friends, to buy more, simply because they were so happy with what I did sell them. Often, it's not what they thought they wanted.......they just didn't know.
  9. #9  
    I think the opposite premise of this thread is just as true.

    I think some people in love with the rather spiffy UI and gesture area are waaaaay too forgiving of the shortcomings of WebOS, and rush to say things like "WebOS 1.4.1.1 is on par with other smartphone OSes".

    It's not. It's measurably, objectively NOT on par.

    1. The lack of any voice functionality aside from phone calls is a glaring omission. On Android 2.1, voice functionality is deeply integrated into several parts of the OS, from navigation to dialing to short texts. iPhone has Dragon Dictation, Shazam, and the I am T-Pain app. WebOS has....nothing.

    2. WebOS is not really landscape-oriented while other modern touchscreen OSes are both landscape AND portrait friendly. Folks, the accelerometer should be for more than just games and the browser. Very few WebOS apps are landscape friendly, even the native ones.

    3. WebOS has a distinct lack of options. Yes, I know many things can be "patched" in, but that's like saying iPhone has multitasking because you can jailbreak it and run expose. We're talking functionality "straight from the factory". Android and iPhone apps have it. WebOS does not. 10 months later, some native apps still have placeholder menus that should've been removed before it shipped on day ONE.

    I could go on to other things like how the Photos app still has to individually process each picture or how Google Maps is still an embarrassing Web app, but you get the idea.

    There's lots and lots of room for improvement, and if you're truly a fan of this OS, you should be pushing harder than anyone for Palm to correct these deficiencies so that they stand a better chance of surviving in the current marketplace.
    Last edited by mikah912; 04/02/2010 at 09:51 AM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think the opposite premise of this thread is just as true.

    I think some people in love with the rather spiffy UI and gesture area are waaaaay too forgiving of the shortcomings of WebOS, and rush to say things like "WebOS 1.4.1.1 is on par with other smartphone OSes".

    It's not. It's measurably, objectivity NOT on par.

    1. The lack of any voice functionality aside from phone calls is a glaring omission. On Android 2.1, voice functionality is deeply integrated into several parts of the OS, from navigation to dialing to short texts. iPhone has Dragon Dictation, Shazam, and the I am T-Pain app. WebOS has....nothing.
    2. WebOS is not really landscape-oriented while other modern touchscreen OSes are both landscape AND portrait friendly. Folks, the accelerometer should be for more than just games and the browser. Very few WebOS apps are landscape friendly, even the native ones.
    3. WebOS has a distinct lack of options. Yes, I know many things can be "patched" in, but that's like saying iPhone has multitasking because you can jailbreak it and run expose. We're talking functionality "straight from the factory". Android and iPhone apps have it. WebOS does not. 10 months later, some native apps still have placeholder menus that should've been removed before it shipped on day ONE.

    I could go on to other things like how the Photos app still has to individually process each picture or how Google Maps is still an embarrassing Web app, but you get the idea.

    There's lots and lots of room for improvement, and if you're truly a fan of this OS, you should be pushing harder than anyone for Palm to correct these deficiencies so that they stand a better chance of surviving in the current marketplace.

    Careful now, you may lure the pre-defense-force out of their hole to defend the Pre's awsomeness.

    It is the best OS conceptually, but try telling me it's the best OS when my camera won't work, when it restarts daily and when I can't run a game without restarting my phone.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 04/15/2010 at 12:16 PM.
  11. #11  
    I think it's the best UI, bar none, but a UI and an OS are not the same thing. There are some huge, HUGE holes that need to be filled before you can call it the best OS, or even a competitive OS.
  12. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    I've had a Sprint Pre for a few months now; it's my first smartphone. And I would consider myself more tech-aware than the average consumer when it comes to mobile phones. But lately I've found that my interest in the Pre has hindered my interaction with other smartphones and Operating Systems.

    So I've been trying out my friends' phones; the iPhone 3GS and Blackberry's mostly, as well as one or two Android devices, to get a feel for the UI and whatnot.

    And I'm starting to think that WebOS users are being very nit-picky about bugs and quirks. Every single phone I've used has had bugs; yes even the "holy" iPhone. There have been times when I try to open an iPhone app and it refuses to run. Very reminiscent of the TMC error some WebOS users are encountering. RIM's app catalog is very confusing to use and many of the apps cost WAY more than the average WebOS app.

    There are some obvious tweaks our OS is missing; better email features, more specific settings. But for the most part, I would say WebOS as it stands now at 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1 is definitely on par with other smartphone OSes.

    To each his own, I say. If WebOS is right for you, then great. If it isn't, that's cool too. Making complaints about WebOS needing to be more like the iPhone or Blackberry is ridiculous. Things are different for a reason. Enjoy the fact that you have options and are free to choose whatever smartphone works best for you.
    This is ur first smart phone and you consider urself a techie when is comes to smart phones? If that's the case I just put a bandage on my daughters arm. I think I'll skip med school and call myself a Doctor.
  13. #13  
    I am an American. I expect everything right now. I want a super phone on my hip that besides the usual --doubles as a microwave and refrigerator. And shoots bullets.
    Oh c'mon guys, it's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings these days.---Fletch
  14. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    I am an American. I expect everything right now. I want a super phone on my hip that besides the usual --doubles as a microwave and refrigerator. And shoots bullets.
    Sure your an American? Sounds like you're in Taiwan.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Sure your an American? Sounds like you're in Taiwan.
    Sure you know English. Your=You're. Dumas.
    Oh c'mon guys, it's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings these days.---Fletch
  16. #16  
    This is my third day on WebOS, and I love it! I have had BlackBerry devices for 6+ years (7520, 7250, 7250 and 9530). My friend let me try out his surplus Pre, and after half a day I was hooked. Heck, when I went back to mess with my Storm, I was having issues because I kept forgetting to press the screen. I ended up buying his Pre.

    I would agree that folks expect too much perfection from their devices. However, in my EXTREMELY limited time messing with the Pre (WOSQI, Preware), I must say that the Pre is way less buggy than the BlackBerry devices I have used/tried. It is great to have an OS that does not need to be hybridized merely to be functional!
    "Honest to the point of recklessness; self-centered in the extreme."
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    This is ur first smart phone and you consider urself a techie when is comes to smart phones? If that's the case I just put a bandage on my daughters arm. I think I'll skip med school and call myself a Doctor.
    Whatever, buddy. Some of us have the skills to do a lot more with less, and therefore hardly EVER have the 'latest and greatest' new shiney of the day. My home mail server is still running on an IBM Pentium III, 500MHz machine, and likely filters spam better than anything you've ever seen. Gosh, my pre is almost that fast. Nobody really *needs* a smartphone. You could have just talked smack to a contributor to the linux kernel for all you know.

    The guys who have older hardware tend to be those who know a lot more about what they are doing. Sorry.
  18. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #18  
    I don't see any problem with expressing our desires to have features from other platforms. I feel I am not only entitled to express my desires, butas an early adopter of webOS I am obligated to express my desires. Nothing wrong with progress.

    I am fully supportive of Palm. I even switched from ATT and paid a ETF to move to webOS early on. Later I bought a second webOS phone in the Pixi Plus on Verizon. I've purchased 2 Touchstone kits and all the apps that makes sense from the App Store.

    I think that Palm would be much more successful in getting Blackberry customers if they had a few more of the things on the webOS that Blackberry customers value. The Blackberry is a very mature and evolved platform and RIM has figured out what some of the most demanding users demand.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Careful now, you may lure hparsons and the pre-defense-force out of their hole to defend the Pre's awsomeness.
    Nice straw man... Have fun knocking it down.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's lots and lots of room for improvement, and if you're truly a fan of this OS, you should be pushing harder than anyone for Palm to correct these deficiencies so that they stand a better chance of surviving in the current marketplace.
    Of course that's true. It's ridiculous to assert otherwise. The question is, do you do so positively and constructively, or with an overarching negativity that creates the perception that webOS is simply horrible and unworkable as is?

    Personally, I think we can do both: highlight what's great about webOS and evangelize the platform's current value and future potential, while at the same time making constructive suggestions that will help move the platform forward.

    Some folks just can't seem to tell the difference between this approach and the more common one--which is why if people are researching webOS and visit this forum, they must often go away thinking everyone is miserable and hates their Palm device. And the more people that get this impression, the less likely Palm and the platform are to succeed.

    I'm sure I'll get plenty of snide remarks about my being a cheerleader, but frankly I think that if you can't get this simple concept, then webOS would be better off without you.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions