Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Whatever, buddy. Some of us have the skills to do a lot more with less, and therefore hardly EVER have the 'latest and greatest' new shiney of the day. My home mail server is still running on an IBM Pentium III, 500MHz machine, and likely filters spam better than anything you've ever seen. Gosh, my pre is almost that fast. Nobody really *needs* a smartphone. You could have just talked smack to a contributor to the linux kernel for all you know.

    The guys who have older hardware tend to be those who know a lot more about what they are doing. Sorry.
    I don't think someone who's pre is their FIRST smart phone is quite qualified to call themselves a techie of smart phones. You're over here bringing up irrelevent things like some beatup pc.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    I don't think someone who's pre is their FIRST smart phone is quite qualified to call themselves a techie of smart phones. You're over here bringing up irrelevent things like some beatup pc.
    You seem to be making assumptions. I know people who are coding geniuses (javascript, HTML, C++) and yet do not have a permanent, working computer. My first statement does not necessarily void my assertation about being a techie.

    I heard about the Pre well before it's June 6th release date and kept close tabs on its development. Unfortunately I couldn't purchase it right away due to having problems with Sprint about my family plan. I really don't see how any of this is relevant to my original post though.

    And after reading others' comments, I STILL say WebOS is on par with other smartphone OSes, not only in terms of UI. Some features that make a device unusable for some, others could care less about. Yes, Palm did take its time to get to the point where it is now but nevertheless, they are constantly and more importantly, regularly improving.

    I'm all for giving feedback. Marketing is my field so I understand just how crucial feedback is for any business to not only survive but thrive.

    But I feel that some people are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. Not everyone but some. And unfortunately because of Palm's precarious position in the market, these nay-sayers and nitpickers spread their doom & gloom to others, deterring possible customers/sales that Palm needs.
    I am, therefore I think
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post

    And I'm starting to think that WebOS users are being very nit-picky about bugs and quirks. Every single phone I've used has had bugs;
    I've worked in the industry for nearly four years, and this goes for ANY phone.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Of course that's true. It's ridiculous to assert otherwise. The question is, do you do so positively and constructively, or with an overarching negativity that creates the perception that webOS is simply horrible and unworkable as is?

    Personally, I think we can do both: highlight what's great about webOS and evangelize the platform's current value and future potential, while at the same time making constructive suggestions that will help move the platform forward.

    Some folks just can't seem to tell the difference between this approach and the more common one--which is why if people are researching webOS and visit this forum, they must often go away thinking everyone is miserable and hates their Palm device. And the more people that get this impression, the less likely Palm and the platform are to succeed.
    Sir, for every complaint thread, there is a relentless cheerleading thread or attempt to get people to vote in a poll or attempt to get people to "go viral" to promote it or to have people make a commercial or whatever. If someone takes away the impression that everyone is "miserable", they're looking through a jaded perspective they brought here with them.

    Worse yet, people here often start their "constructive criticism" with the assumption that WebOS is THE BEST, and other OSes like Android just SUCK and are buggy to no end, so what is there to learn or improve about WebOS, since it's already the best and would be "number one" if people would just smarten up and realize it? After all, it's the only one with "true" multitasking, right?

    It's just zealotry, not positivity. Someone started a thread here a few days ago asking about whether Palm had improved the hardware, and a BUNCH of people blindly jumped in yammering about "My launch day Pre is still going strong!" Well, nobody asked if it was. Even if it wasn't, it's irrelevant to a thread where people want to know about the progression of Pre build quality, and whether ones RECENTLY made were better than the first batch. There was a flood of irrational zealotry, but no contribution to what the OP asked for. What kind of impression do you think THAT gives people coming to this forum?

    This is just as harmful to Palm as a overly negative complainer. But it's openly sanctioned here.
  5. #25  
    Interesting thread. And one thing I learned many years ago was to never ever evangelize any product, concept or process that you want to see succeed. Even though I like this phone, a bit less now that its continuing its aberrant behavior, I have to look at dispassionately.

    Its a handset which I paid money for and pay for every month and if it can't do the basics without introducing lag, failing to mute when I need it, failing to terminate the call when I need it...those are the VERY basic functions, its a failure. You can call into question the comments regarding somewhat buggy behavior of certain facets but we're talking about its primary role; making and receiving calls. And it fails to do that in a seamless manner too many times.

    Too many people consider complaints as a personal affront to their sensibilities. Relax, its not your place to scream or implore us who aren't so happy with the phone that we're being negative. You're arguing and evangelizing from a weak position and you're going to have to come up with a more substantive argument for staying with the Pre than "nothing's perfect, etc..."

    I'm running out of patience with this phone.
  6.    #26  
    I am hardly personally affronted when people complain about the Pre. I'm all for feedback. I always comment or critique whenever possible. But nif you think only the Pre drops calls, freezes and fails to performs a function once a button is pressed or tap is issued then you must be living under a rock. My friends have problems like these with their iPhones or Blackberry's all the time.

    The iPhone definitely has a more stable OS but that doesn't mean it doesn't have annoying bugs and quirks. It just kills me when people act as if the Pre is so buggy that it is unusable. For some, I relent, that is the case. But the for the majority of users, we can use the device to our heart's content. Or maybe I'm just delusional.
    I am, therefore I think
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    I am hardly personally affronted when people complain about the Pre. I'm all for feedback. I always comment or critique whenever possible. But nif you think only the Pre drops calls, freezes and fails to performs a function once a button is pressed or tap is issued then you must be living under a rock. My friends have problems like these with their iPhones or Blackberry's all the time.

    The iPhone definitely has a more stable OS but that doesn't mean it doesn't have annoying bugs and quirks. It just kills me when people act as if the Pre is so buggy that it is unusable. For some, I relent, that is the case. But the for the majority of users, we can use the device to our heart's content. Or maybe I'm just delusional.
    I can see some posters here certainly take offense to negative reviews. I don't care about other handsets but I am sure the owners of those handsets care.

    Ahh, the ubiquitous straw man argument. Why do people insist on using that as a basis for their position?

    Actually my phone has been unusable a few times. Thats unacceptable and justification for that behavior by saying "They all do it" is a poor argument.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    Interesting thread. And one thing I learned many years ago was to never ever evangelize any product, concept or process that you want to see succeed. Even though I like this phone, a bit less now that its continuing its aberrant behavior, I have to look at dispassionately.

    Its a handset which I paid money for and pay for every month and if it can't do the basics without introducing lag, failing to mute when I need it, failing to terminate the call when I need it...those are the VERY basic functions, its a failure. You can call into question the comments regarding somewhat buggy behavior of certain facets but we're talking about its primary role; making and receiving calls. And it fails to do that in a seamless manner too many times.

    Too many people consider complaints as a personal affront to their sensibilities. Relax, its not your place to scream or implore us who aren't so happy with the phone that we're being negative. You're arguing and evangelizing from a weak position and you're going to have to come up with a more substantive argument for staying with the Pre than "nothing's perfect, etc..."

    I'm running out of patience with this phone.
    this.

    I have run out of patience as well. My power button broke last night. It's evo or wp7 for me, hell even a cdma iphone at this point.
  9. #29  
    see ya, wouldn't want to be ya
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    Ahh, the ubiquitous straw man argument. Why do people insist on using that as a basis for their position?
    I'm not sure you know that a "straw man" argument really is...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. #31  
    lol the cyber **** talking in these forums amuse me
  12. #32  
    all of the mentioned OSes have way better battery life with the exception of android. No point if your phone can control earth, wind, and fire when it can't go through heavy usage pass 3-5 hours.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    see ya, wouldn't want to be ya
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  14. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #34  
    This town is a make-you town
    Or a break-you-town and bring-you-down town
  15. #35  
    I feel like it only makes sense that on a webos website that we are bias towards our device... So of course bold statements are going to made in favor of them. And for the sake of the argument we'll say that even the opposite is true. There are people that like to play the "victim" and blame these phones in particular for very general problems.

    If you feel this problems are overwhelming, nobody is stopping you from switching. However, I promise you will be introduced to a series of new issues from whatever your replacement is.

    Now to the statement that people saying webos is the best os out is bad for development. This statement extends far beyond this forum haha. And in no way does saying something is the best mean it is flawless. Obviously palm is working to improve it dropping more updates than you can shake a stick at.

    My little 2 cents
  16. #36  
    WebOS is still young. It will be ok in the coming years. Those whoa are fans of WebOS just have to be patient. For the rest or is, we have other choices and will experience different problems. Hopefully, WebOS problems will be addressed soon.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    I don't think someone who's pre is their FIRST smart phone is quite qualified to call themselves a techie of smart phones. You're over here bringing up irrelevent things like some beatup pc.
    I disagree, the pre is my first smartphones, but my friends come to me with iphone problems.. I use this web site a friend of mine told me about a few years ago called google, and find the answer... now they could google it to, but their always scared something would go wrong, or might not comprehend directions written for more "advance users". Either way, they come to me, and I help them.
    I've jail broken so many iphones, it's not even funny. Alot of times i find myself informing a person who's owned an iphone for over a year of a features, or setting. Now i don't ever refer to myself as techie, but others refer to me as that...
  18. #38  
    I agree people are expecting way to much out of smartphones period. Every phone is missing something. No phone is perfect. If there is a perfect phon out there then go by it.

    If the Pre is not up to your needs then return withing your 30 days and get something that does fit your needs.

    Personally I tried a Samsung Moment before I purchased my Pre. The Moment did not suit my needs so I returned it and got a Pre. The Pre is the right phone for me.

    Why buy a Pre when what you want is a blackberry. Thats like buying Toyota Camary when what you really want is a Chevy Malibu.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sir, for every complaint thread, there is a relentless cheerleading thread or attempt to get people to vote in a poll or attempt to get people to "go viral" to promote it or to have people make a commercial or whatever. If someone takes away the impression that everyone is "miserable", they're looking through a jaded perspective they brought here with them.

    Worse yet, people here often start their "constructive criticism" with the assumption that WebOS is THE BEST, and other OSes like Android just SUCK and are buggy to no end, so what is there to learn or improve about WebOS, since it's already the best and would be "number one" if people would just smarten up and realize it? After all, it's the only one with "true" multitasking, right?

    It's just zealotry, not positivity. Someone started a thread here a few days ago asking about whether Palm had improved the hardware, and a BUNCH of people blindly jumped in yammering about "My launch day Pre is still going strong!" Well, nobody asked if it was. Even if it wasn't, it's irrelevant to a thread where people want to know about the progression of Pre build quality, and whether ones RECENTLY made were better than the first batch. There was a flood of irrational zealotry, but no contribution to what the OP asked for. What kind of impression do you think THAT gives people coming to this forum?

    This is just as harmful to Palm as a overly negative complainer. But it's openly sanctioned here.

    also this.
  20. Westmar's Avatar
    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The lack of any voice functionality aside from phone calls is a glaring omission. On Android 2.1, voice functionality is deeply integrated into several parts of the OS, from navigation to dialing to short texts. iPhone has Dragon Dictation, Shazam, and the I am T-Pain app. WebOS has....nothing.
    This.... x 3,000
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions