Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We've had threads of 'official' good Verizon stores, but only a spattering of Sprint store reviews here and there buried in posts. What brought this on for me was being in a Sprint store here and utterly amazed at the lackluster, 'don't care' look of the Palm display in the middle of the other phones.

The cases and glass was clean, the phones were all lined up and charged and all had great signage. EXCEPT the Palm phones. Right in the middle of the phone line-up were a single Pre and Pixi. There was no signage on the phones like all the others. There were no prices up high near the devices like all the other phones. The Pre was hanging by a cord off of the Touchstone, and the Pixi had so much garbage opened up and gobbledy-g00k typed into the contacts, search boxes, and anywhere you could type, that it was a mess. I was torn between being sad and angry. I guess I was just dumbfounded. (I know I probably shouldn't have been).

The salespeople at this store came off as annoyed by having to deal with customers. I had to wait 45 minutes for the tech to take lunch (I watched him come back and listened to him whine because it was the "worst lunch ever" because customers were waiting for him). So... while I waited for the lunchtime to pass for him (it was 5:45PM by the way) I watched a young couple with a new baby wander up and down the phone wall. They looked at every device and took their time to play with each one. I watched them check every device for 30 minutes... except the Palm devices. Even though the Pre and Pixi were right dead in the middle of the displayed phones, the couple skipped over them each time they went up or down the line. No, I didn't step in and say anything. I truly wanted to see what happened in the normal course of events at a store. The new mom kept pointing out to her husband which phones were on sale and which were good deals. Neither gave the Palm units a single look. Like I mentioned - the Pre and Pixi were the only 2 phones on the wall without any signage or pricing posted. They looked like junk sitting up there (the pictures below don't do it justice, or injustice.. whichever the case may be).

While at the store, I felt so mad/sad that I took these pictures to prove a point. My store doesn't care. They don't care about supporting Palm as a device, or a company. They don't care how the Palm display is presented, or if any sales are lost just because of missing some simple signage.

I was irked and irritated at Sprint, and at Palm for leaving their fate in the hands of this motley cell phone company.

If there is no interest in this thread - I'll delete it. But is there anyone out there who wants to share their experience with their particular local Sprint store? Perhaps, with enough location feedback... some stores will get either shamed into shaping up... or praised for their great work and support!

Here's my local store: 1076 IL-59, Naperville (Aurora) IL

The display that made me decide to vent:

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    At my store down here in Champaign, IL we are actually having a Sales Contest this month for WebOS devices. I sold two today
    ---Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, "Make me feel important." Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    At my store down here in Champaign, IL we are actually having a Sales Contest this month for WebOS devices. I sold two today
    I'm sooo glad to hear that! I was so disappointed in this store today that I felt bad when I left. I'm glad you replied! Good to see Sprint people out there supporting Palm!
    Ew! I'd email this story along with the pictures to both Sprint and Palm. Not sure what would be done, if anything, but you really should.

Haven't been inside my Sprint store in months but if I'm nearby it I'll check the condition and post back here.
    The Sprint Store in The Waterford Lakes Town Center in Orlando is great. The salesman that I dealt with owned a pre and had his patched up and themed. He even showed me what to do to get preware and what I was doing wrong. I know he browses these forums and I don't know his screen name, but he was awesome.

Likewise the tech support was great, and was able to save my launch day pre when I was having the volume toggle problem. They even replaced my rubber USB cover.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    I don't think you should remove this post at all.

Sprint shouldn't abandon us and we shouldn't be shafted either. My question is, when is the Pre Plus coming to Sprint? What does Sprint plan to do about the mobile hotspot offer that Verizon is offering? Which seriously now has me thinking of jumping ship and I've been with Sprint for 11 years. If more Sprint store continue on treating Palm products like this then maybe I should jump to a carrier that will continue to stand by their product.
    I don't think you should remove this post at all.

Sprint shouldn't abandon us and we shouldn't be shafted either. My question is, when is the Pre Plus coming to Sprint? What does Sprint plan to do about the mobile hotspot offer that Verizon is offering? Which seriously now has me thinking of jumping ship and I've been with Sprint for 11 years. If more Sprint store continue on treating Palm products like this then maybe I should jump to a carrier that will continue to stand by their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'm sooo glad to hear that! I was so disappointed in this store today that I felt bad when I left. I'm glad you replied! Good to see Sprint people out there supporting Palm!
    LOL love to read on this forum LOL. I wonder why you guys suffer so much for a phone? LOL
    Definitely e-mail this to Palm and Sprint with the location of the store. Seriously. This would help them crackdown on it and sell more phones.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    Just because someone's lunching at 6pm doesn't mean they shouldn't be hungry....I'm not making excuses for the dude, I'm just saying....if you're in retail your "lunch break" is quite often your dinner. Retail sucks....
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

My two local stores in Indianapolis do NOT promote Pre - they are so wrapped in Android, that is all they carry and promote. Actually try to talk me into switching when year is up, not knowledgeable on questions, etc.
    That is why Android is selling in our area, not Palm.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdejavux View Post
    LOL love to read on this forum LOL. I wonder why you guys suffer so much for a phone? LOL
    LOL... let me clarify. It perhaps irks me a bit more because of my background. I spent 15 years selling high-end retail electronics. Three things really get me in a retail store... 1)poor customer service, 2)poor management, 3) poor product signage. Perhaps my wording in the OP came off dramatic, but it was late and I was p1ssed with what I had just experienced with customer service at that store...

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Just because someone's lunching at 6pm doesn't mean they shouldn't be hungry....I'm not making excuses for the dude, I'm just saying....if you're in retail your "lunch break" is quite often your dinner. Retail sucks....
    Yes I realize that... as mentioned above, I spent 15 years in retail. I've got stories that will amaze. What got me wasn't the time of his 'lunch'... but the fact that the staff was so blatant about putting customers off. And to have the guy come back from lunch with several people waiting for him... and stand at the front counter complaining (not quietly) about having to come back from his break... and then completely blow customers off once he did start back up. Yeah... that torked me.
    why didnt you put the pre back on the touchstone? mightve made it look more appealing haha
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    why didnt you put the pre back on the touchstone? mightve made it look more appealing haha
    yah. I did after I took the pic I also updated the software and downloaded NFS (free) and a couple of other good demo apps for the devices.
    The Sprint Store at I-240 and Santa Fe in South Oklahoma City is great!

They don't have a massive WebOS promotion, but several of their employees use the Pre and rave about it when I have been in.

Of course most of us that have been on the Pre since it came out are on our second, third or more replacement. But every time I have been in the service has been nothing short of excellent.

I haven't seen a better platform/OS on any phone yet. So I will be sticking with WebOS and the future hardware for it and my Sprint Store in South OKC!

What I am really looking forward to is when the next gen. WebOS device comes out and I can simply login to my Palm Profile and have everything transfer over just like it was on my Pre. (surely someone will have that figured out by then )
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    yah. I did after I took the pic I also updated the software and downloaded NFS (free) and a couple of other good demo apps for the devices.
    hahah thats awesome. i should check the versions of webos in stores if they have working models.....for all i know they are still stuck on 1.0.3 :-P (well without the forced update)
    I think people just don't care for the pre or pixi. Maybe it's the lack of any home buttons, maybe because it looks difficult to work. I don't know what it is. The palm section of the sprint store is setup up just like that where i live. They're both sitting on touchstones. At my store all devices get treated equally. The sprint reps. ask the customer do they need any help looking for any phones. They make suggestions to people. And yes they do mention the webos devices. People just don't go after them. And when a person does go and try it they just look so frustrated with the phone.

Now this is me watching people. And I've only been to the sprint store 3 times. But each time I go I do watch and see how people are liking the phones. And I've notice that people go toward the blackberry's and android phones. Shoot and some people just come in knowing what they want and maybe palm ain't it. I went into the store knowing what i wanted and that was a pixi. While I was getting my phone I went straight to the person and said I wanted a pixi, and without hesitation got it for me.
  18. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I can imagine somebody with no familiarity of webOS, or smartphones at all for that matter, being underwhelmed by the Pre/Pixi upon first examination.

But all it should take is somebody to show them how to swipe up to open the launcher, scroll within the launcher, slide between cards, and throw a card away. With that initial knowledge any first grader can happily figure out how everything works with just a little bit of experimentation.

The problem is it's probably rare to find a salesperson that will kindly demo those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I think people just don't care for the pre or pixi. Maybe it's the lack of any home buttons, maybe because it looks difficult to work. I don't know what it is. The palm section of the sprint store is setup up just like that where i live. They're both sitting on touchstones. At my store all devices get treated equally. The sprint reps. ask the customer do they need any help looking for any phones. They make suggestions to people. And yes they do mention the webos devices. People just don't go after them. And when a person does go and try it they just look so frustrated with the phone.

Now this is me watching people. And I've only been to the sprint store 3 times. But each time I go I do watch and see how people are liking the phones. And I've notice that people go toward the blackberry's and android phones. Shoot and some people just come in knowing what they want and maybe palm ain't it. I went into the store knowing what i wanted and that was a pixi. While I was getting my phone I went straight to the person and said I wanted a pixi, and without hesitation got it for me.
    One thing that no one has mentioned is that maybe the whole "deck of cards" idea, while a brilliant and useful idea, might not appeal to non techy ppl as it does with the techy ppl. Mainstream users are just used to pressing the "back" button or the "home" button (or THE button on the iphone). Its hard to break ppl of their habits. lots of ppl are stubborn and wont even try new things after theyve used one method for a while.

I just suggest this because of 2 examples in my personal life. I had a friend recently who asked about my phone. (he has a storm2) and after i showed him the cards, the applications etc all he said was "meh". Pretty much the same response as my gf whos looking at the hero. She apparently loves android and everything. She does play with my phone dont get me wrong, but she says sometimes how swiping backwards to go back is "different" but she likes being able to press a button better.

idk some ppl might just like that better. i hope the next phone of palm's is more universally adopted tho.
    Last edited by cnote1287; 04/02/2010 at 12:05 PM.
    +1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast