Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...but it seems that WebOS is slowly turning into Palm's Garnet OS in terms of bugs and overall dependability.

The reason why I left Palm in 2007, although loving their technological forwardness, is that the Garnet OS suffered from constant random resets, missed/late calls and texts, and background processing instability (Wow this is like Deja Vu).

I really thought that with them starting from stratch with WebOS that they were finally gonna get it right. But instead Garnet just got a boob job, a tummy tuck, a couple shots of botox and changed her name.

Now WebOS IS a beautiful and feature rich OS...but with the OBVIOUS hardware and more complex and elegant OS differences aside...I'm interested to know what you guys think about this.
  2.    #2  
    Oh and sorry if there are any spelling erros. I was writing this on my phone while running from a dog. Now that's multitasking!
    webos is exactly what the smartphone market needed to shake it up so that even if palm doesnt make it or i decide to switch there will be other multitasking mobile os's even if they are not as elegant
    none of my prior palm OS phones or pda's had any problems...we're talkin IIIxe, m505, tungsten E, TX, and 700p. So don't know what you're talking about.
    Good thing you didn't get a blackberry storm.... that was literally 100 TIMES worse... OS was HORRIBLE much more laggier, and MUCH more crash prone. Battery drain issues.. hardware click screen issues.. unresponsive buttons.. difficult to answer a call.. up to 5 screen presses to get to a contact... crashed on me during 911 call (went into emergency mode and just pooped) took 5 min to reboot while lady is holding bleeding child. Also EVERY screen has a designed wiggle.. and a little gap all around the screen that collected dust like crazy. Did i say the OS was crap? and had crazy amounts of memory leaks?

You can even ask Kevin.. the leader of crackberry and he will agree... the Pre launched a MUCH more solid device then the Blackberry Storm... these are just plain facts now..

Heck even Kevin himself was getting leaked OS's because of how bad the phone was....
    The iPhone, Android, BB's, etc all have had the same issues. It's a part of software development: there are bugs.

In fact, I am most impressed with how quickly Palm addresses bugs via OTA software updates. 1.4 came out only a few weeks ago, and here is an update to fix most of the bugs 1.4 brought, and from a vast majority of users, the update also improved performance.

A Palm Pre running Preware with AUPT and the 800mhz patch is one blissful experience IMO. It's not even close to Garnet days.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Oh yea.. and the Blackberry updates came every 3 months or so..... everyone depended on RIM to "leak" OS's to crackberry for beta testing
    1.4.1 runs very good, found no issues so far.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    webos is exactly what the smartphone market needed to shake it up so that even if palm doesnt make it or i decide to switch there will be other multitasking mobile os's even if they are not as elegant
    I can definitely agree with this. The development of WebOS did make other companies step their game up big time.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Good thing you didn't get a blackberry storm......
    I remember hearing a lot of bad things about the Storm. I, thankfully, never got the chance to experience that due to me being on Sprint.

I let my 755p go for a Curve World Addition and besides the OS being a bit sluggish, I can't remember a problem with it.

WebOS is still in it's "early stages" this I understand. When the Evo comes out I might leave Palm for a bit until WebOS developes a bit further. I'm just a little salty that I fall in love with what Palm has to offer, but end up leaving it to survive in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRQTekt View Post
    ...but it seems that WebOS is slowly turning into Palm's Garnet OS in terms of bugs and overall dependability.
    I think you may have had some bad hardware and are confusing it with the OS. I have had a 700p and a TX and a couple of Centros (one GSM, one CDMA) and the OS was always ROCK solid. By the time the Centro rolled out, the OS was like a fine wine. If you were not getting calls, or incomplete calls, or texts, let me guess, was it a GSM phone perhaps? (That's the big reason why I left Rogers and went back to Bell.) And even on a classic Blackberry, you'll find the odd app that just isn't programmed that well and craps out. That's not the OS's fault.

But yes, WebOS has some bugs. Hey, listen,were you an iPhone user when they rolled out MObile Me? Huh? How about THEM apples... (pun intended)

If you're worried about bugs, stay far away from Android. I got a free Droid at GDC, and wow, it's the buggiest OS out of all the major mobile OS's out there.

A lot of the apps I downloaded simply did not work. The WiFi kept turning on/off without me doing anything. My corporate exchange info never synced correctly. You get the idea...
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    IMO, PalmOS crashed 10x more than WebOS when trying to do too much (e.g. getting a text while running Garmin). And I consider Garnet to be quite stable. However, WebOS is much more stable even when running multiple apps. Since launch day, I don't think I've had more than five spontaneous resets. So maybe it depends on the user?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    IMO, PalmOS crashed 10x more than WebOS when trying to do too much (e.g. getting a text while running Garmin). And I consider Garnet to be quite stable. However, WebOS is much more stable even when running multiple apps. Since launch day, I don't think I've had more than five spontaneous resets. So maybe it depends on the user?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Oh gosh yes I remember that lol! And the worst was when I was on a call and then received a txt. It would flip out and reset on me.
    Tomorrow I'll be me again...

The reason why I left Palm in 2007, although loving their technological forwardness, is that the Garnet OS suffered from constant random resets, missed/late calls and texts, and background processing instability (Wow this is like Deja Vu).

I really thought that with them starting from stratch with WebOS that they were finally gonna get it right. But instead Garnet just got a boob job, a tummy tuck, a couple shots of botox and changed her name.

Now WebOS IS a beautiful and feature rich OS...but with the OBVIOUS hardware and more complex and elegant OS differences aside...I'm interested to know what you guys think about this.
    Weird, sounds like you either have a hardware lemon or seriously screwed up your phone via patches/homebrew. The first "hard" reset I've done on my phone over the past month was for the latest patch. Other than that I've only had to restart luna when applying patches etc. However I don't play any 3D games so that might have something to do with it (and thus don't get the out of memory errors as much).

One thing I do recommend is to install the ad-blocker patch. It significantly decreases the load put on the phone from the browser app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    If you're worried about bugs, stay far away from Android. I got a free Droid at GDC, and wow, it's the buggiest OS out of all the major mobile OS's out there.

A lot of the apps I downloaded simply did not work. The WiFi kept turning on/off without me doing anything. My corporate exchange info never synced correctly. You get the idea...
    My Droid has been solid both hardware and software. Sometimes a little stutter during scrolling long lists but other than that, nothing in terms of bugs. So has my girls Pre+, other than the lag of course.

As with everything in technology nowadays, your mileage may vary I say.
    I remember hearing a lot of bad things about the Storm. I, thankfully, never got the chance to experience that due to me being on Sprint.

I let my 755p go for a Curve World Addition and besides the OS being a bit sluggish, I can't remember a problem with it.

WebOS is still in it's "early stages" this I understand. When the Evo comes out I might leave Palm for a bit until WebOS developes a bit further. I'm just a little salty that I fall in love with what Palm has to offer, but end up leaving it to survive in life.
    Dude I don't know what you are talking about!? I've had quite a few phones leading up to my Pre including 2 BB Curves and a world edition. Those phones aren't even in the same ballpark as the Pre. On top of an utterly useless OS they weren't even reliable hardware wise. I had button and speaker issues with both of my curves.

I think Palm is headed in the right direction, not only is WebOS much more stable and well executed at this point. It also has a huge open source community behind it. Have you even looked through the app catalog or the patches that are available for WebOS?

In my opinion the only thing holding back Palm at this point is the lack of new hardware and the ridiculously stupid ads that they kept putting out to try and show off the phones potential. The ads are getting better thank god and lets just hope they are working on some new hardware. The Evo looks cool but Andriod has a long way to go in terms of fit and polish although HTC is about the best I've seen when it comes to polishing up the Android OS. I still don't care for the virtual keyboard though.
    Oh gosh yes I remember that lol! And the worst was when I was on a call and then received a txt. It would flip out and reset on me.
    Oh Yes, you reminded me of the good ol' days.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    Have you even looked through the app catalog or the patches that are available for WebOS?
    Of course I have, I'm apart of this site aren't I? Well...retract that because there are people on here for some reason that don't even know what a patch is

Neither-here-nor-there though, I wasn't talking about the amount of bells and whistles that the Palm Pre offers. I said that yes it's great, and multi-tasking is great, and yes it's fast, and yes it's beautiful, and yes there are plenty of goodies to load onto it.

But I'm apart of a small portion of the world that likes the phone and messaging services to run without flaws because...well...it's supposed to be a phone lol. That and at least an OS that doesn't reset like crazy. And based off of my personal opinion with every subsequent release of WebOS after 1.2.1...it's heading in the direction of Garnet in terms of CORE functionality

And do keep in mind that my mindset is based off of the fact that, although sluggish and a little ugly, I never had late/missed calls or texts with the Blackberry. I remembered today, while ironing my clothes, that I'm starting to experience the same problems on WebOS that I experienced with Garnet...thus why this thread was created
    Tomorrow I'll be me again...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast