Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...and how long it takes to turn after you plug it into a charger when it goes dies (which is easy with short battery it randomly has) irks me...really bad and I have had the phone since october. If palm puts a small battery in the next palm phone. I'll be disappointed to the point of defecting. It wouldnt be such an issue if the phone battery lasted longer but every single day by 4pm its a race to get it to a charger. I love the look and design of the pre and webos. I've considered android but it feels bland and dull compared to webos. This battery issue is just becoming a more noticeable annoyance everyday.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I have had my phone since release and this is probably the worst thing about the phone...

It's really annoying.
    Normally my battery lasts from 5:00am until about 8:30pm and I text all day long; check e-mail 6-7 times a day, random web browsing and playing on facebook.

I did purchase a 2nd battery that on nights I go to the bar after work I may or may not have to put in because the 1st one is dead.

I also bought a car charger but I've never had to use it.

What are you doing that you are killing your battery like that?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Today, I pulled the Pre off the charger with 100% battery at 5:00 am. Used Sprint Navigation for 2 hrs, texted twice, then used Pandora for 30 min. Battery dead at 8:30 am. Seriously.
    I'ts about 3.5 minutes with the overclock, and about 5 minutes at stock speed. My theory is that there is actually a tiny floppy drive inside that it is booting from.

If it makes you feel any better, the Droid and iPhone also take a long time.

Why don't you plug the phone in to the charger when you change batteries so you don't have to shut it off?

And I recommend the extended battery. I have the 2600mAh battery and it was money well spent.
    I use VBA on my Pre, it's very intensive and I can only get 2 1/2 hours out of it while playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'ts about 3.5 minutes with the overclock, and about 5 minutes at stock speed. My theory is that there is actually a tiny floppy drive inside that it is booting from.

Why don't you plug the phone in to the charger when you change batteries so you don't have to shut it off?

And I recommend the extended battery. I have the 2600mAh battery and it was money well spent.
    actually cnet did a test of the startup times and the iphone 3GS starts up in under a minute....
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    whaaaaaaa whaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

seriously. There are extended battery solutions, the touchstone, plenty of programs to help with battery management. The fact is battery technology is not keeping up with hardware. Adapt your habits or something . Complaining about this does no good. If manufacturers had a fix it would obviously already be implemented. The fact is we just can't have the best of both worlds. We can't have a small device and good battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    Today, I pulled the Pre off the charger with 100% battery at 5:00 am. Used Sprint Navigation for 2 hrs, texted twice, then used Pandora for 30 min. Battery dead at 8:30 am. Seriously.
    Believable. I have the 2600 extended, Grooveshark running with SprintNav ate up 30%. With just the stock player, this turns into 20%. I'm so damned glad I bought that battery.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    What would be awesome is a 2 min built in battery allowing on the fly battery swaps without a boot. Or a hibernation state for battery swap.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    Normally my battery lasts from 5:00am until about 8:30pm and I text all day long; check e-mail 6-7 times a day, random web browsing and playing on facebook.

I did purchase a 2nd battery that on nights I go to the bar after work I may or may not have to put in because the 1st one is dead.

I also bought a car charger but I've never had to use it.

What are you doing that you are killing your battery like that?
    twitter and thats it and not much else

Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    whaaaaaaa whaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

seriously. There are extended battery solutions, the touchstone, plenty of programs to help with battery management. The fact is battery technology is not keeping up with hardware. Adapt your habits or something . Complaining about this does no good. If manufacturers had a fix it would obviously already be implemented. The fact is we just can't have the best of both worlds. We can't have a small device and good battery life.
    a consumer shouldnt have to do all that to get decent battery life out of their phone. use common sense. other phones handle the battery situation and the boot situation better. Hence, there is a reference to compare too and why reviewers knock the pre on it. I shouldnt have to buy a phone and then buy extended batteries and search for battery management apps just to use a single app infrequently on my phone and make it half way through the day.
    1150mah is simply too small of a battery for the phone.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    ****in ridiculous, dont find yourself in a jam, a bind or an emergency....3 mins for a start up?? total fail on Palm's part
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    ****in ridiculous, dont find yourself in a jam, a bind or an emergency....3 mins for a start up?? total fail on Palm's part
    I need to call someone in a hurry yesterday and my phone died. Then when i finally got to my car charger. Waited the 10-15 minutes for it build up enough charge to even let itself be turned on then i had to sit and watch another 3 minutes while it started up. 18 minutes later after sitting CONNECTED to a charger. I could finally make a call and it was too late. Person I was trying to reach was already gone. I almost through the pre out the window at that point.

imagine if i had been shot or dying. i would have had to wait 18 minutes to call 911. it only takes 4-6 minutes of lack of cutting of blood flow to the brain to cause permanent brain damage and most likely death. Good luck trying to make a call for help with the Pre.
  15.    #15  
    This post almost deserves a new thread but this is an example for real professionals. My mother, who is a doctor, is getting ready to fight with sprint for a different phone like a android or blackberry. Im the one that talked her into getting a Pre. she loves the size, design, and webOS. But she is disgusted with the battery/startup issues. People's lives hang in her hands whether she is in the hospital or off and out. Her Pre doesnt last the day without dying and she DOESNT use apps to much at all. She doesnt play the games, use twitter, or fb. She is busy treating patients. Then when the phone dies in a call she has to hunt down a charger and wait 18 minutes for her phone to start up to see what is going on with her patients. Do you see how ridiculous that is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

45 seconds for my Droid

2 minutes for my girls Pre+

Seen a video of a iPhone taking less than the Droid to boot up

When I tried the BB Tour, that thing was like 5 minutes
    I do have to agree that the startup time on this is HORRENDOUS, I have had the Mogul, Touch Pro, Htc Snap, Htc Hero and this phone and this is by far the longest I have seen a phone bootup. Htc Hero came in a close second. I can actually load up a Rom on a Winmo phone b4 the Pre loads up after a soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by prefanatic View Post
    a consumer shouldnt have to do all that to get decent battery life out of their phone. use common sense. other phones handle the battery situation and the boot situation better. Hence, there is a reference to compare too and why reviewers knock the pre on it. I shouldnt have to buy a phone and then buy extended batteries and search for battery management apps just to use a single app infrequently on my phone and make it half way through the day.
    use common sense?
    I offer some reasonable solutions and you say "use common sense"? f.me

I need to call someone in a hurry yesterday and my phone died. Then when i finally got to my car charger. Waited the 10-15 minutes for it build up enough charge to even let itself be turned on then i had to sit and watch another 3 minutes while it started up. 18 minutes later after sitting CONNECTED to a charger. I could finally make a call and it was too late. Person I was trying to reach was already gone. I almost through the pre out the window at that point.

imagine if i had been shot or dying. i would have had to wait 18 minutes to call 911. it only takes 4-6 minutes of lack of cutting of blood flow to the brain to cause permanent brain damage and most likely death. Good luck trying to make a call for help with the Pre.
    Really? what's with being so dramatic? Stop letting your phone battery get to that point. Learn to manage it! Start by turning off data when you don't really need it. This alone will double your battery life.

This post almost deserves a new thread but this is an example for real professionals. My mother, who is a doctor, is getting ready to fight with sprint for a different phone like a android or blackberry. Im the one that talked her into getting a Pre. she loves the size, design, and webOS. But she is disgusted with the battery/startup issues. People's lives hang in her hands whether she is in the hospital or off and out. Her Pre doesnt last the day without dying and she DOESNT use apps to much at all. She doesnt play the games, use twitter, or fb. She is busy treating patients. Then when the phone dies in a call she has to hunt down a charger and wait 18 minutes for her phone to start up to see what is going on with her patients. Do you see how ridiculous that is?
    Again with the dramatization. It's like a daytime soap opera.

There is not one smart phone on the market that will make it through a whole day if you're using data services extensively. Again, the battery technology just isn't there yet. The pre's battery life performance is fairly close to other smartphones.

If your mom really is having problems with the battery dieing in the middle of the day she should consider changing her usage habits. Setting up a touchstone in her office, turning off the data connection when it isn't needed. etc.. There are solutions! The bottom line is it's just matter of learning to use your device properly. Here is an analogy for you, If your car is running on empty you're not going to continually floor it on the way to the gas station, you're going to drive nice and easy and use as little fuel as possible. Try applying this same principle to your smart phone usage habits.

However, I'll agree that the boot time needs some work in comparison to other phones.
    Well I just timed my Palm Pre from Sprint on starting it twice from a battery pull. Both times it took over 8 1/2 minutes. What is going on, I know on 1.4 is was getting over 6 minutes but now with 1.4.1 it is taking forever.
    My Instinct took about the same amount of time for start up as my Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast