1.    #1  
    I was using my Pre on the job today and immediately noticed that the quality of the image on the screen while setting up the shot was significantly deteriorated. It looked like I was operating a 1.3mp camera from 2001. I hoped that it was just an issue with the screen improperly displaying the scene, but when I uploaded the files to my computer- sure enough, the quality was horrid. As in, zero detail capture- looks fine in thumbnail form on the computer, but viewed 100% on my monitor there's significant quality loss- and I've had my Pre since July, so I know what to expect. Truly, my images look like they were shot with a 1.3mp cell phone camera.

Shortly after noticing this quality loss, the camera function started to lag when taking a photo (a 4-5 second delay from 'shutter release'), refuse to take the photo with a dialog: 'Unable to take photo', and then eventually the feature failed to start entirely, even after a reboot. Just a light gray card that does nothing. Really helpful when you're location scouting for a photoshoot and only have permission to be at a private residence for one day. Now I have to report back to my client with fuzzy images and verbal descriptions of the locale.

I know this shouldn't happen. You can't change the quality of the image capture, so how did mine rapidly deteriorate within a day's use? This was five hours ago, and my camera still refuses to work. To date, I've been able to ignore the little quirks and lags and the entire battery issue... but this is about to push me over the edge and switch back to ATT. Please, somebody help me here. I really don't want to pay that cancellation fee, and there are several things I truly love about the Pre... there are just many more that I loathe.

Help, anyone?

Thanks.
    Clean the glassy part that protects the camera lens..and doctor your phone...The camera didnt lose resolution.......Thats too weird to actually happen.
    were the low quality ones taken inside? usually all pics i take inside are all grainy. its because the pre's camera sucks under low light conditions. go outside and take one and see if it looks better
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Clean the glassy part that protects the camera lens..and doctor your phone...The camera didnt lose resolution.......Thats too weird to actually happen.
    Hahaha, that... sounds like a way more logical explanation. Though it still doesn't explain the crash.

I do think I'll head over to Sprint tomorrow, though. I though I'd ask here first, in case it was something I could fix myself.

Thanks for your help.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    were the low quality ones taken inside? usually all pics i take inside are all grainy. its because the pre's camera sucks under low light conditions. go outside and take one and see if it looks better
    No, they were shot outside in mixed lighting conditions (under giant oak trees). It's not grain that's the issue, it's just... very low quality. Fuzzy and generally bad. I removed the back plate and cleaned the lens, but it makes no difference, as the camera doesn't start now anyway...
    Are you using 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1? You may have found the first possible bug/major issue with the new release, if anything. After all, Palm worked on the Camera app to improve it. It's possible something in the code may have caused your phone to shrink the resolutions for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatshowido41 View Post
    Are you using 1.4.1 or 1.4.1.1? You may have found the first possible bug/major issue with the new release, if anything. After all, Palm worked on the Camera app to improve it. It's possible something in the code may have caused your phone to shrink the resolutions for whatever reason.
    Uhmm...hes the only one having this problem. My camera app is fine. The pictures are fine too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Uhmm...hes the only one having this problem. My camera app is fine. The pictures are fine too.

I'm quite aware, as is my camera app, but I said "if anything"... Meaning it probably is just his bad luck, but if it does happen to turn out to be an on-going trend, then he happened to be the first one. It just isn't likely that a camera would just automatically "reduce" it's resolution quality on its own without it being a bug of some type.

Maybe something went wrong in the uploading from the phone to the computer?