Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's my suggestion:

Pick 50 or 100 of us at PreCentral to be testers. When a new update comes out, send it to us first. We will test the heck out of it. We could have our own forum here or on Palm's site where we could report issues.

This might delay an update for a week or two, but you will have much happier customers when they do come out. You have to start putting out a better quality product! Many of us are pulling for you and would volunteer for this type of testing.

Whatever you are doing now, it is not working well enough. I am just trying to help. I used to be in the software business, and I know that testing is difficult and expensive. We will do a thorough job, and do it for free.

Who will volunteer?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I would totally be down for beta testing a new update. I frequently find problems with 1.x.0 updates and can always find ways to suggest to fix.
    I would
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    All of us are already beta testers.
    All of us.
    I wonder how many of you willing "beta testers" actually knows how hard it is to program without any 'defect' in the code.

In a given release, there are always issues with defects. Look at the MS OS, do you think they get it completely correct with the release?

Give these programmers some freaking slack. Their job is hard enough without having to hear anything more from armchair analysts. I wonder how many of you realize that after the release of 1.4.1.1 how many of these programmers had to be on call monitoring the deployment.
    Quote Originally Posted by phidalgo View Post
    I wonder how many of you willing "beta testers" actually knows how hard it is to program without any 'defect' in the code.

In a given release, there are always issues with defects. Look at the MS OS, do you think they get it completely correct with the release?

Give these programmers some freaking slack. Their job is hard enough without having to hear anything more from armchair analysts. I wonder how many of you realize that after the release of 1.4.1.1 how many of these programmers had to be on call monitoring the deployment.
    Yeah well, some of us paid hundreds of dollars to be "armchair analysts".
    Maybe that's what our problem is.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 04/01/2010 at 07:57 PM.
  7.    #7  

I know that it is difficult to find all bugs with limited internal testing. That is the reason for this thread. Do you have a better idea? Bring it!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    All of us are already beta testers.
    All of us.
    I never thought of it that way, but only for homebrewing though

agreed, the updates get tested internally by Palm, Sprint, Verizon & other carriers. Nothing is going to be perfect, we are lucky to be getting these monthly updates. It could be like iphone and only get one a year. Nothing came out perfect when introduced, webOS is still the best mobile os I've used. Many more features will come as it matures, iphone didn't even have copy & paste or video recording when it came out. We are spoiled
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I don't see the point of this thread.
    Ummm, palm has 1000 employees... I doubt 50, or a 100 would make a huge difference..
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Let's try to keep in mind that many of these "bugs" are brought on by patches and homebrew apps which can hardly be blamed on Palm. They don't point the finger at the homebrew community, because they want to keep these guys going, but it still has to be a fair percentage of the problem.

I think the homebrew and patch folks are awesome, but having all this unsupported stuff out there has to be a nightmare for an OS programmer...

I am also lucky in that for the most part, my wife and my Pre's have had few problems and 1.4.1.1 has been awesome for us, making the phone faster, while fixing the minor glitches it did have...

Gotta love DBD, he is nothing but a palm hater and cannot let one thread go by without getting in his jabs at palm....must be sad having nothing better to do in your life than spread your pathetic palm hate in these forums.....
    Yeah well, some of us paid hundreds of dollars to be "armchair analysts".
    Maybe that's what our problem is.
    That doesn't even touch the essence of my point and it's okay given you are ignorant of software development.

It wasn't personal, I am simply pointing out that many of you don't understand software development and therefore should give these programmers some slack. Also, when I used the word 'analyst', the context was based from a programmer's point of view.

Sorry I didn't make it clearer for the ignorant (by definition).
    Not a Palm hater.
    /personal opinion

I wonder where the blame would go if Palm did have people outside of the company and partner companies test updates and it still launch with some bugs in the software.

/personal opinion
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    That doesn't even touch the essence of my point and it's okay given you are ignorant of software development.

It wasn't personal, I am simply pointing out that many of you don't understand software development and therefore should give these programmers some slack. Also, when I used the word 'analyst', the context was based from a programmer's point of view.

Sorry I didn't make it clearer for the ignorant (by definition).
    You don't know what i understand.
    You don't know what i understand.
    It was a generalization.

Sorry once again
    I never said that I don't expect bugs, we're all human.
    It was a generalization.

Sorry once again
    It's okay. I wasn't offended.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    WebOS is still young and evolving. I think once the OS gets to a point were's it's almost fully mature (by version 2.0) we'll be seeing less and less update. By then the OS will be very stable so will the updates.

In a year folks. We'll get there. Be patient. But I do agree with the OP's suggestion, I would volunteer to be a beta tester, not for free though; purchasing the phone at subsidize price every year without signing a new contract with my carrier would be a plus.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast