Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I am a paid user of MyTether. If Sprint did end up getting the official Mobile Hospot app, what are the differences between the two apps?
    Well, I assume you won't have to worry about the official one breaking every time Palm releases an update for one.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Not having the Mobile Hotspot app on my phone, I might be 100% wrong on this, but I believe that it only supports Wifi tethering, whereas MyTether allows USB tethering and Wifi.

Going with USB means you're charging your Pre while tethered, and you're not broadcasting a Wifi router that someone might then go and try to hack into.

However, the installation routine for MyTether is currently a lot more complicated than most other applications-- you have to pre-configure your PC in a very specific way, as opposed to downloading an app over the air.

If Sprint did start supporting Mobile Hotspot, and didn't charge significantly extra for it, I would probably switch-- I don't really need the USB tethering. If they did charge significantly extra for it, I would probably try to stay under the radar with MyTether.