Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I am trying to research if the 800 mhz patch can be installed after updating to the 1.4.1.1??
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkarle2 View Post
    I am trying to research if the 800 mhz patch can be installed after updating to the 1.4.1.1??
    Yea it can. I just did it last night. I had 1.4.0 with 800mhz patch. Uninstalled 800mhz patch then put on 1.4.1.1. Then got ****ed it was so slow so I reinstalled the 800mhz patch on 1.4.1.1 knowing the risk and like everyone says it is heaven!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    There is some misinformation here. The person can always uninstall it to revert back to original prior to installation of an even better version. As long as the person knows what they are doing..no issues here
    What about what I said is wrong? Sure you can uninstall it if you want,
    but that doesn't change the fact that if you choose to install the
    existing 800Mhz patch, you are reverting to a 1.4 kernel which may have
    bugs that were fixed in the new 1.4.1 kernel (they wouldn't have
    replaced it, if they hadn't changed it). It's not a
    patch in the classic sense that it just modifies the latest version of a file.
    It is replacing a new kernel with an older one.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 04/01/2010 at 10:50 PM.
    used link to install 800mhz patch on 1.4.1.1 seems to work great. that and possibly mobile hot spot. quite a good day for my sprint pre. may help me hold on to it for longer than expected
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Stupid question, perhaps, but I'm inferring from a couple of posts here....after the 1.4.1x update (I'm on VZW and don't know what I'm getting), will the .sh still be in my root?
    So the 800 patch will be in Preware soon?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor e View Post
    Can we get unixphsycho and caj2008 to chime in on this?

By installing the 800MHZ patch right now do you know if it will negate the benefits of 1.4.1?

For best results wait? or doesn't matter?

Cheers
    I'm not either of those people - but I'll chime in

Let's say WebOS 1.4.1x has a new kernel
    The 720 and 800 mhz patches are based on the 1.4.0 kernel

If you upgrade to 1.4.1x and then use the 720 or 800 mhz kernel, you're effectively "downgrading" to an earlier kernel and lose any benefit that may have been gained from the new kernel

Any *application* updates/patches would not be lost from using the overclocked kernels since those updates aren't directly related to the kernel.

A word of caution - the kernel also provides HAL (hardware access) to various bits of software as well as the OS itself. It is possible that the 1.4.1x update (or a future update, for that matter) can introduce new or modified hooks into the hardware that would be used by the OS. Using a patched kernel based on an old version could remove those hooks and render your phone useless.

That being said, I'd recommend waiting for these kind gentlemen to test their overclocked kernel (based on the patched OS) to ensure that they don't cause some sort of WebOS regression rather than using the old scripts.
  8.    #68  
    What I fail to realize, is how changing the CPU instructions in the kernel would have anything to do with the rest of the kernel.....my brain hurts now...
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I really want this 800 patch back badly... but will wait for the updated version to be released. (And a nice big donation for the cause!)
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    What I fail to realize, is how changing the CPU instructions in the kernel would have anything to do with the rest of the kernel.....my brain hurts now...
    It's a compiled binary file so the entire kernel was replaced to make the modifications.

ian
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    800MHz works amazing on 1.4.1.1 so for those of you that are STILL waiting for people to "test" it out, we've already decided its a great mixture (1.4.1.1x800MHz) and will see u in a few days when your slow pre's catch up with us
    Am I reverting to a 1.4 kernel by installing 800Mhz patch? well YES.

Am I able to use mobile hotspot with the patch and running 1.4.1.1? HEck YES!!!

Is my pre Flying? OH you better believe it!!!

The random restarts ocurred with 1.4 and continued with 1.4.1.1 for me so it wasnt a big loss.

I do not own a BMW so no loss there if it messes it up.

bottom line is that my PRE is running way faster and MHS works great. I also have mytether just in case one of them doesnt work.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    when it feels this good, it can't be bad!

I haven't had any issues whatsoever either, so whatever kernel changes may have been in there, the benefits of the patch far outweigh any downside I'm seeing so far. Worst comes to worst: doctor and patch with the ipk when it comes out. But for now, my Pre's flying!
    so it is just as safe putting 800mwhz kernal via Webos quick install as it was when it was web os 1.4.0??
    UK PRE USER
    I second all the chance takers. I did the same, and I can safely say that I'm excited I don't need to be on 1.3.5.1 just so I can use the Mobile Hotspot. This just made life easier. Now I'm just waiting for Flash to come out since I upgraded back to the Pre's full potential. Oh, and lest I forget to mention.... Volume rocker bug that was caused by 1.4.0.......? GONE. That's WITH the 800 MHz kernel installed. I don't know how it is still fixed since the kernel essentially replaced whatever fix Palm cooked into the update, but it hasn't shown up at all. Good ridance. That, and the lack of MHS support were the two reasons I held back from updating. Damn, I love this community!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadavis08 View Post
    the 800 & 720 ipk is working and will be tested over the next few days and should be out pretty soon i'm sure. So it might be better to just wait it out
    not if you are verizon. No update yet so i am running patch right now. I guess by the time verizon gets to update the ipk will be ready...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    What about what I said is wrong? Sure you can uninstall it if you want,
    but that doesn't change the fact that if you choose to install the
    existing 800Mhz patch, you are reverting to a 1.4 kernel which may have
    bugs that were fixed in the new 1.4.1 kernel (they wouldn't have
    replaced it, if they hadn't changed it). It's not a
    patch in the classic sense that it just modifies the latest version of a file.
    It is replacing a new kernel with an older one.

ian
    I think he is just saying you are right about backtracking by installing the old overclocking kernal. However when a new kernal comes out for 1.4.1 and you uninstall the old one and install the new one you are going to see the same benefits as everyone else.
    ok ... time to over clock my palm pre ... ... will show all my iphone friends ... thats how palm rolls ... with speed/multi tasking/less but awesome apps ... go palm ...
    I'm going for it! I understand the kernel not updating but it's worth it. That's what I love about this phone, worst case scenaro we can doctor!!
    just donw it now here we go gona get some need for speed on the go and see were it goes from there oh yeah

VOTE PRE
    UK PRE USER
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast