Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-141-...-verizon-delay

Due to new carrier launches and varying carrier timetables, multiple 1.4.X releases will be active concurrently on consumer devices

Ruh Roh... The sky is falling.

How will this impact webOS devices?
    This is nowhere near as bad as Android, and was to be expected.

Mostly the only people who will feel the "bad" part of this will be us Verizon customers. We'll end up being 6 months behind each update.
    1.4 was the first time everyone had the same version.. One month where every phone had the same version.. Soooo I don't think the sky is falling..
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    This is nowhere near as bad as Android, and was to be expected.

Mostly the only people who will feel the "bad" part of this will be us Verizon customers. We'll end up being 6 months behind each update.
    webOS is only 10 months old and only has 2-4 hardware sets (depending on your point of view).
    This is nothing compared to Android. I don't think the different versions will have an impact on App development at all. It seems like they just address specific carrier issues.
    yeah, why would you say Ruh Roh, chicken little? Do you know anything about webos releases? Its almost always been out in different versions. It wasn't until recently that they all synced up.

The Good news is if Palm does what they did last time to bring them all together again, we can expect a decent update to 1.5?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Android has version differences across multiple platforms that are widely different. Although there is two versions of 1.4.1. released they are still 1.4.1 versions.

1.4.1. and 1.4.1.1 are practically the same.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    webOS releases have always been spread out across a few weeks (with the exception of 1.4).

This is no where near as bad as Android, where Android currently has 4 different versions of the Android OS floating out there
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    webOS releases have always been spread out across a few weeks (with the exception of 1.4).

This is no where near as bad as Android, where Android currently has 4 different versions of the Android OS floating out there
    Yes, and, absolutely no guarantee for any Android user if/when their devices will be brought up to the same level of capabilities. At least we know that all Palm devices will eventually be brought to the same level (except for the inevitable differences from the next gen device, but of course that's unavoidable).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10.    #10  
    About the time the Droid was released... Almost every Android device was on either 1.5 or 1.6

At some point there are are going to be features offered by webOS that are hardware specific or have higher system requirements...

Also... Only one year after the HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1) was released (Oct 22, 2008) with Android 1.x the Motorola Droid was released with Android 2.1 (Nov 6, 2009).

(i.e. They were developing pretty fast... I'm not sure we will see webOS 2.x in June)
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 04/01/2010 at 01:21 PM.
    it's far from the same, mainly because

1) 1.4, 1.4.1, and 1.4.1.1 are very minorly different

2) they're all on the same whole number version, which is a huge difference. 1.4.1 to 1.4.1.1 is so minor compare to 1.6 and 2.1
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lingo View Post
    it's far from the same, mainly because

1) 1.4, 1.4.1, and 1.4.1.1 are very minorly different

2) they're all on the same whole number version, which is a huge difference. 1.4.1 to 1.4.1.1 is so minor compare to 1.6 and 2.1
    It's far from the same because Android 2.1 was a significant upgrade and was released only 12 months later... initially on new "flagship devices".

Or it's far from the same because webOS has only reached 1.4.X (in 10 months) and supports only 2 real hardware platforms?
    Are you seriously trying to tell us that a company worth billions is developing a product line faster then a company worth millions of dollars can? Whew! We're all saved Captain Obvious is here!!!

I've been impressed with Webos and The Pre despite their lack of resources. I think they have made an excellent product with what they have to work with....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Totally misleading title. A vendor delaying the update on their network doesn't even begin to compare to the type of issues with different hardware/OS on Androids.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    webOS is only 10 months old and only has 2-4 hardware sets (depending on your point of view).
    Absolutley totally false.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Absolutley totally false.

Oh wait...
    One has a button and one doesn't...
    One has 256MB RAM and one has 512MB RAM...
    One has a CDMA radio and one has a GSM...
    One is a Pre and one is a Pixi...

So many hardware sets to keep track of...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 04/01/2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I'm just glad Palm is trying to be productive and fixing problems as soon as they can, and it seems they are listening to us. When I get it, I get it. My phone works just fine. Now we just need Adobe to get their arsses in gear!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    If i may interject a point Webos can never be as fractured as the Andriod, just by how they are developed. Google just pushes out the Framework the phone companies make there own OS for there model phone where as ,Palm is wholelistic,they make the os. Thats where the majority the fracturing in Andriod is and will continue to occur. If Motorola only requires 1.6 and HTC requires 2.1,then sorry if your on Motorola you should of bought a HTC.Palm for their own sake can't have that problem, just take the pdk for example, if you look at fracturing as one device not having the same function as another device from the same manufacture then the webos has been fractured but they have the same version numbers.
    Last edited by tejoe; 04/01/2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: space issue and i don't mean startrek
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    The only "knock" against Palm's method of software updates is having to get the "go-ahead" by every carrier selling a WebOS product to release an update.

Other than that they do a good job from what I can tell. Maybe one day, when wireless carriers, just provide the "pipes" Palm can exercise more freedom in distributing updates.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    WebOS being held up by the carriers can cause fragmentation unless palm doesn't allow it...

Example (yes this is an extreme but totally possible)

Palm has a shiny new update 1.5 ready for carrier testing some weeks pass, Sprint and O2 sign off on it. Vz and Bell on the other hand say wait fix this,this and that. Some more weeks pass and Vz/Bell are still not happy for what ever reason and Sprint and O2 are breathing down Palms neck to release the update.

Palm drops the update to Sprint and O2... weeks past and Vz and Bell user are nerd raging all over the nets about it.. So more weeks no update and by now Palm already started cooking up another update to improve upon the last. Vz get wind of this and tell palm to add the fixes to that version and they will test and release that one instead.

Oh wait At&t gets wind of this update and holds off as well (probably to trump big red) and does the same.

OK so the time has come and Vz, Bell and At&t drop 1.6.x woot!!! now the Sprint and O2 users are fing rioting across the net. But Sprint and O2 found some stuff they didn't care for was added in 1.6 and more testing / changes are desired. So now we have WebOS 1.5 and 1.6 (zomg android version numbers )

Ok so now we have real version fragmentation but wait there's more by now Palm has finished its gen 2 devices and is about to announcement that with the new hardware come WebOS 2.0 with all these kick *** features. Let me get a hell ya android fragmentation!!

Yes this was an extreme and I mean extreme example but still possible unless Palm doesn't not allow major version differences across carriers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast