Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post

Oh wait...
    One has a button and one doesn't...
    One has 256MB RAM and one has 512MB RAM...
    One has a CDMA radio and one has a GSM...
    One is a Pre and one is a Pixi...

So many hardware sets to keep track of...
    Go back and look at what you wrote. Your claim was that WebOS has 2-4 hardware sets.

WebOS does not function differently with the device that has a button over the one that doesn't.
    WebOS does not function differently with the device that has 256mb RAM and the one that has 512MB
    Slightly different with different radios, but that's the nature of the beast. Functionally, they are the same, but the important thing is that the code for both radios exists in both codes. In other words, they OS didn't get "fractured"
    Functionality of the OS is virtually the same between the Pixi and the Pre.

These things are not the case with Android. New devices are coming out that require the older OS. New software won't run on the old OSs. Old software won't run on the new OSs.

You are definitely comparing totally different situations.

And no, the sky is not falling.
    What I dont understand is why o2 got a different update to sprint...it seems like fragmentation out of choice, opposed to neccessity, and the only real difference is the 15-60seconds!!!I installed 1.4.1.1 on my o2 pre, and it ran fine?!?!?!so why not just have one release version?
    This 'fragmentation' is no where near as bad or as thorough as Androids or Windows Mobile. On both of those platforms different software version leave many people out of key features and unable to use a lot of software. Don't fear monger.
    Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    What I dont understand is why o2 got a different update to sprint...it seems like fragmentation out of choice, opposed to neccessity, and the only real difference is the 15-60seconds!!!I installed 1.4.1.1 on my o2 pre, and it ran fine?!?!?!so why not just have one release version?
    Two versions for two different types of markets? Remember us Americans already have paid apps and all that, which the rest of the world didn't. Also we had some Sprint software changes in our update that wouldnt apply to anyone else. I think the next update will bring everyone back in line.
    you're overreacting.
    Stupid thread.

Android has new hardware being released on 6-10 month old versions with vastly different capabilities, some of which will NEVER get updated.

WebOS has a staggered release where different carriers are on very slightly different versions for a few weeks at a time.

Not even remotely similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by amistak View Post
    Two versions for two different types of markets? Remember us Americans already have paid apps and all that, which the rest of the world didn't. Also we had some Sprint software changes in our update that wouldnt apply to anyone else. I think the next update will bring everyone back in line.
    But 1.4.1.1 gets more than 1.4.1...and you aren't telling me that they couldn't have incorporated all the features into one update, it was only 12Mb!!!
    Sprint had to alter for the football app.

verizons is probably altered from the nfl thingy.

the os is not fragmented no where near the likes (or dislikes) of Andriod.

at least (when everyone gets and permits) all of our apps will work on all webos phones (- the pixi... But that's processing power, not fragmentation)
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by amistak View Post
    This 'fragmentation' is no where near as bad or as thorough as Androids or Windows Mobile. On both of those platforms different software version leave many people out of key features and unable to use a lot of software. Don't fear monger.
    Yet?

You gloss over two critical points. webOS is evolving at a slower pace than Android (for good or bad) and webOS is only 10 months old while Android is 18 months.

PS: This was somewhat TIC!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12