Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Different things for different folks. I knew I was making some trade offs when I switched from the Treo 755p to the Pre. Sure, I thought the Pre SHOULD have been light years ahead of the iPhone AND have tens of thousands of apps in the app store before it ever saw light of day. BUT, I knew this wasn't going to happen, and I was willing to go along for the ride. I'm much happier than I was when I first signed on, and I'm still trying to find the right combination of patches to give me the performance I want, and the battery life I need. But, I'm having fun getting there.

My wife, on the other hand, hates WebOS. More appropriately, she hates the Pre form factor, and though she marvels (slightly) at the size of the Pixi, she is irked that her old Centro is noticeably faster and more feature rich out of the box (which it is). Except for the multi-tasking, her phone opens every app faster, and gets to web searches faster, with a 312 Mhz processor, than the Pixi and Pre does with a 600Mhz processor.

The poster is not wrong. He is used to a certain level of performance and expected it to be expanded upon. For what it is, the Pre should outperform his old BB on all levels. There should be no excuses, but there are. The question is, does he see the possibilities of an open architecture device? Does he want to tweak it to suit most of his needs and wait for some of the other things he wants to come out? Maybe the answer is yes, maybe he might want to go back to his BB and wait another 6 months to see what happens.

There are no wrong decisions.
    Do some extensive research on something you want to purchase next time?
    Sounds like your used to a BB and thats what you like. If the Pre is not for you then go get the BB. There is no need for anyone to stay with a phone that doens't fit there needs. The BB doesn't fit my needs I had a Blackberry once took it back the same day it was horrible for me but the Pre does the job for me. Do what is best for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I have the patch that allows you to delete without confirming. When I want to delete emails (or messages), I swipe them off the screen. The prompts "under" the message say Delete and Cancel. I ignore them (unless I wan to cancel the deletion), and swipe off the next one I want to delete. The first one is now gone.

I daresay I can do this faster than a BB user can click the ones he wants to delete, and then hit his delete button.

Wanna race?
    How quickly can you mark them all as read?
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Probably just me again, but I've never understood the appeal of marking something as read without actually reading it anyway.

If it's something I'm not going to read, I delete it. If it's something I haven't read, I don't want the phone to think I've read it.
    I am very glad Palm has not followed the BB route on the KB, I cannot stand the BB kb, always mistyping!

Can you multi select emails on a BB? I don't see it as an option on mine, nor does it remove from the server on an IMAP connection when I delete from my BB.

I was trying to show a friend the other day a comparison of an email attachment on Pre vs BB Tour, the the BB Tour would not even open the attachment....grrr.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    I have been following this thread today, which has been very interesting since I, like the original poster, am a former curve user turned pre user. I have only had my pre for 6 days and there are things I really like and a few things that really concern me. Mostly, I am really fearful of the call quality. People say they can hear me just fine, but the call quality on my end I would rate poor to terrible. I have had pretty good call quality on vzw with my bb curve so this came as a big shock. Are many pre users having call quality issues on vzw? Is it my phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewpot View Post
    Are many pre users having call quality issues on vzw? Is it my phone?
    I know it doesn't quite help, but if there's a widespread issue with that, then it's definitely a Pre Plus / Verizon issue, and not a general problem. My Sprint Pre's call quality is probably the best I've had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewpot View Post
    I have been following this thread today, which has been very interesting since I, like the original poster, am a former curve user turned pre user. I have only had my pre for 6 days and there are things I really like and a few things that really concern me. Mostly, I am really fearful of the call quality. People say they can hear me just fine, but the call quality on my end I would rate poor to terrible. I have had pretty good call quality on vzw with my bb curve so this came as a big shock. Are many pre users having call quality issues on vzw? Is it my phone?
    Are you using a heaadset? I find my bluetooth sounds great, and it sounds great when I hold it to my ear like a normal phone. The only thing that sounds bad to me are the earphones that came with the Pre. I've tried a pair that came with my BlackBerry, and that wasn't any better. It is good enough that I still use them when I don't have one of my bluetooth deveices handy.

I also think the speaker volume is VERY loud (certainly a response to complaints that the Centro was too quiet) so I find myself turning the volume down on calls (which also turns down the ringer - which REALLY is annoying...)

The people on the other end comment regularly about how good the Pre+ sounds to them.

What are some examples of when it sounds bad, and what does it sound like?
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    Do some extensive research on something you want to purchase next time?
    Give him a break. The Pre is definitely something that people like when they give it a try, so kudos for giving it a fair shake. That's why Verizon gives him 30 days to change his mind.

I think he is doing the right thing to give it the old college try, and ask questions to make sure he isn't missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Probably just me again, but I've never understood the appeal of marking something as read without actually reading it anyway.

If it's something I'm not going to read, I delete it. If it's something I haven't read, I don't want the phone to think I've read it.
    If you have a POP account and have read the messages on another device, then it has value. The common example is a POP account that has a web client and a device, like a Pre, that pulls down copies of the messages. If you realize that the 300 items in your inbox marked as unread are all things that you have read on the web client, you'd like to mark them all as read so when the next message comes in, it stands out.

Take my word for it, it has value to many of us.
    That's even easier. There's a patch for that.
    If you have a POP account and have read the messages on another device, then it has value. The common example is a POP account that has a web client and a device, like a Pre, that pulls down copies of the messages. If you realize that the 300 items in your inbox marked as unread are all things that you have read on the web client, you'd like to mark them all as read so when the next message comes in, it stands out.

... And that would be a reason POP3 needed to die a long, long time ago.
    FYI, there are Palm employees lurking here, and also contributing to the forums over at Palm.com
  15.    #75  
    I appreciate all of the replies, and I am glad this has been a good conversation. I have definitely learned a lot, and my hope is that someone with similar expectations and/or experience will be able to learn something too.

With regard to email mgt, yeah, the bb (even os v4.5) can select multiple emails very, very fast and mark them as read. Or, if you prefer, you can select a date (such as today) and you have the option to mark everything prior "read". Like my aquanaut associate, I use POP3 on my main PC, and I use email on the pre (or bb) when I am away from my PC. I am, though, giving the IMAP option a try, and it seems OK for the most part.

With regard to the spell check thing, maybe it is just a personal a preference, but I can usually type pretty fast, and I find it far more efficient to type fast (with somewhat low accuracy) and use spell check to clean up the whole mess when I am done. Sure, I still have to proofread to make sure all of the words are correct, but I find it takes me concentrating much harder to check every word for spelling than it does to just make sure the word choices are correct. However, you mileage may vary.

With regard to the call quality issue, what it *seems* to be for me is mobile to mobile, carrier to carrier (which could just be one destination carrier that is the problem child) in that it can vary quite a bit from call to call. I would say the call quality on a bad call is something akin to a bad walkie talkie. No static or anything, just really, REALLY hard to discern what the other person is saying (like they are talking with marbles in their mouth). Switching to a headset fixes this some (so that at least you can understand the words that are saying), though. Personally, I would say the curve had decent call quality, and I would say the pre varies from somewhere very slightly worse to much, much worse. IIRC, Engadget found something similar in their review.

On another note, I did make an interesting observation tonight. I gave my pre to my wife (a bb curve user as well), and she handed it back to me after about two minutes saying "ugh, I don't want to play anymore". A little later, I gave the phone to my seven year old daughter. Amazingly, she seemed to intuitively know how to do things. I probably gave her a total of about 10 seconds of introduction, and she was off. Within minutes, she was doing things I had not shown her how to do.

Which, leads me to wonder, maybe the issue is me (which I have suspected), in that I am (overly) other-smartphone trained. I carried a Windows Mobile device before the curve, and carried a Palm/Dumbphone before that. So, maybe I already have a paradigm I am trying to work from that somehow does not fit on the pre (which makes having to re-learn quite a bit makes sense). Anyway, this is just one (perhaps crackpot) theory, but fascinating to observe nonetheless. If this is the case, though, I still wonder how many people would be willing to take the time to re-learn a complex device like a smartphone. Not huge portions of markets are enthusiasts, and I wonder if non-enthusiasts will think the time is well spent to learn a whole new platform. Just my $.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by john.coleman View Post
    I use POP3 on my main PC, and I use email on the pre (or bb) when I am away from my PC. I am, though, giving the IMAP option a try, and it seems OK for the most part.
    Yeah, honestly, POP3 is just a really horrible standard if you're using multiple devices to access email. It just wasn't designed for that. It works well if you're only using a desktop client, but with multiple devices it's just way too cumbersome. IMAP on the other hand, handles things in a way that is just much better for someone who is using a desktop client and a smartphone.
    7. Mediocre (at best) phone call quality. I often have had to put on a headset to understand the person on the other line (especially when cell to cell, carrier to carrier). Now I am not expecting hifi sound quality through the earpiece, but I was expecting something north of Burger Barn drive-through speaker.
    Quite a good question, which is one of the reasons why I am surprised the experience has been so different than it has. However, in hindsight, it is amazing how few reviews even talk about call quality, or you know, actually using the phone as a telephone.

In fact, I am a little shocked that more reviewers did not experience the same things I did if they truly spent as much time with the phone as they said they did. Perhaps that is the real lesson here, to not be so trusting of "professional" reviews and instead spend more time reading what the real users are saying (in places such as this).
    I became a Pre owner last September, 2009. The 1st phone I got had terrible call quality--everything about it. When I dialed a phone # it would take about 10 seconds to get a dial tone before it would place the call. When people called me...I would answer on 1st or 2nd ring, and they would tell me it had been ringing about 10 times before I picked up. And then finally call sound quality was horrible. So after a week, I went to sprint repair and after testing the phone, they agreed, but could not tell me why. So I received a replacement phone...and I have never had the phone issues since.

As well...my real comment is the Pre is a phone 1st. If call quality is bad, then it doesn't really matter about all the other features.

So before you give up on the call quality, maybe try an exchange 1st.

It worked for me....and made me finally really love my Pre. (oh that and all the games that I have downloaded for my kids which they love, and the web is the best on Pre!)
  18.    #78  
    That is sound (apologies for the pun) advice, and definitely something to think about. I plan to make many, many more calls to see if I can narrow this down a bit. I might also narrow it down to a few none trouble numbers and pop into a Verizon store to try and call them from a pre (assuming the phones in the store actually can make calls, that is). Thanks for the advice!

Best,

John
  19.    #79  
    OK, now I am replying to myself, so apologies in advance for the over-exposure.

I was thinking a little bit more about the price drop, and an alternative strategy occurred to me. That is, from the news around the interwebs, it seems that the Pre Plus landing on AT&T is imminent. I wonder if Verizon made this move to completely steal AT&T's thunder by setting an incredibly low price ceiling for a new product (thus making it much less profitable, and not worth pushing/marketing). That is, AT&T cannot price their Pre Plus much higher than $50, since I would bet their customer loyalty for their company/network is not terribly high (most people I know on AT&T are frustrated captives, either for the iPhone or the BB Bold). Furthermore, if AT&T is sitting on a sizable initial inventory, Verizon just massively devalued it. Not that I am one to immediately jump to the "stomp on the other's throat" as a business strategy, but there is enough public bad blood between the two to at least make this feasible, at least in my mind.

Anyway, I will stop talking to myself now, at least publicly.

Best,

John

Not all IMAP clients work perfectly either. I often read email (Gmail) on my Mac in Apple Mail and find that it is not marked as read on my Pre. Not always, just sometimes. The Pre, on the other hand, always marks the server as read when I read an email, so I never have to mark something as read on my computer if I read it on my Pre.

That was kind of a mouthful, but you get the idea. Point being, Palm could potentially do something to allow more than one email to be selected so that you can do something to more than one email at a time, whether it be delete, move to a different folder, mark as read, mark as unread, whatever. It would be a nice addition to what is already a very nice email client in a lot of ways.

Have you seen it render an html email from a corporation? The Pre emails almost always look perfect.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast