Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Have Preware, have the patch you mention (Delete from Notification). However, I still don't know of a patch which will allow you to select multiple e-mails for deletion, move to another folder, etc. I've seen it requested on the forums quite a few times, even a teaser screenshot of what it would look like on the main PreCentral page.
    The last time that I checked, the patch to which I think he is referring did not allow multiple selection. It just provided buttons to automate deleting everything. The obvious issue is that sometimes you don't want to delete (or move, or mark as read) everything, but you do want to perform the operation on a large number of items...and you would rather not do it one item at a time...especially for mark as read. That patch won't get you there. You really need a means to highlight (or checkmark) messages...and it's not there.

Also, the last time that I tested the patch, it was glacially slow...even for a POP account without server synching. It essentially just automates the one at a time approach...and does so far slower than I can swipe. For this reason, I uninstalled it and switched to IMAP...and now perform bulk operations on my PC more often than not. The switch to IMAP really helped make the issue go away for me though...since I no longer need to delete many items on my phone that I already deleted via a web client.

cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 04/01/2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The easiest method is to just filter them When viewing contacts, there is a button near the upper right that lets you select which accounts you want to see. That way you can ignore your Facebook contacts, but they are still there if needed. This also works for multiple calendars.

You can learn more about that under the feature called "synergy" (another stupid marketing name from Palm... like "Pre"... what does "Pre" tell a person about what the phone can do for them?...)

I don't keep any of my social-networking contacts on my Pre, but that is because of how I use contact management and sync my Pre to Outlook rather than exchange/google/whatever.

Remember: Think Different. The flexibility and ingenuity is there and you will continue to discover cool stuff like that and it will be a pleasant surprise.

You will have turned the corner when you start swiping at your blackberry screen and wondering why nothing happens.

Here is a bit of humor on what it means to be a "Pre-Hugger"...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...gger-when.html
    Once you use your pre for a few weeks you will be swiping just about any device in your hand lol Used my friends Droid last night and wondered why I was swiping. I told him it’s just a natural thing with WebOS. Of course he replied is that a WM phone. I thank Verizon for that one.
  3.    #43  
    Broadcast consultant, no not me. I work mostly with customer experience, product strategy/execution, website UI/UX stuff, etc. and lots of other buzzwords that make me sound important.

I will admit, I am trying. No more POP3 email in Outlook (IMAP does save me the cringe of having to individually open 10-20 emails per hour to mark them as read on the pre), and I am playing around with universal search. You see, unlike some of my clients, I am trainable. Whoops, was that out loud?

I agree that Verizon does have a long/wide reaming rod, and they take delight in using it on us customers often (and forcefully). However, the coverage here simply cannot be beat, and I have never found a carrier that is more reliable to (domestically) travel with. However, the call quality and GPS issues do seem to be Verizon-specific with the pre. Ugh.

Best,

John
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Have Preware, have the patch you mention (Delete from Notification). However, I still don't know of a patch which will allow you to select multiple e-mails for deletion, move to another folder, etc. I've seen it requested on the forums quite a few times, even a teaser screenshot of what it would look like on the main PreCentral page.
    I couldbe mistaken (I frequently am) because I don't use my e-mail like most people (because my company makes me carry a blackberry). You will probably find the IMAP suggestion above to be a better solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by john.coleman View Post
    I appreciate the replies regarding the contacts, that makes sense. However, maybe this is just the consultant in me, but I question cluttering up anything unnecessarily. It just feels inefficient, which is probably 90% of my problem with it. I am sure you are all right, that for practical purposes it is largely a moot point. Thanks for chiming in.

Best,

John
    You are trying to force the device into working the way you are used to. It pulls existing data. If it's "cluttered", it's because the existing data is cluttered.

The implementation is very elegant though. You only see those contacts you choose to see, by typing their name.

Please, give up on the user guide issue. We live in a new age. There are two guides available, and both are very good.

To access the first one, start typing h e l p on your Pre.

To access the second (more detailed) go to Palm's website and download it. This is the one for Sprint, don't know if there's a Verizon specific one yet. http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...nt_p100eww.pdf

The advantages of these electronic versions of user guides should be obvious. The system is updated regularly. Palm does not have to reprint a new guide each time a new feature is added or changed.
    Upon thinking about it more, perhaps at least some of my apprehension comes from the price drop today. Not that price level means everything, but it is a decent analogue for market position and perceived value. As such, the fact that Verizon has only had this phone a little over 60 days, and it has already dropped to 1/3 of its original price (vs. where the Droid stands, which has been "out" far longer) is troubling to say the least. Anyhow, just wanted to make sure that was said.

Best,

John
    I think you're reaching a bit now. Verizon has had it that long, but it's been out for nearly 10 months. The Pre has been available for very low pricing before Verizon decided to drop prices - as in free if you looked hard enough.

I can get BB's for free as well.
    Broadcast consultant, no not me. I work mostly with customer experience, product strategy/execution, website UI/UX stuff, etc. and lots of other buzzwords that make me sound important.

I will admit, I am trying. No more POP3 email in Outlook (IMAP does save me the cringe of having to individually open 10-20 emails per hour to mark them as read on the pre), and I am playing around with universal search. You see, unlike some of my clients, I am trainable. Whoops, was that out loud?

I agree that Verizon does have a long/wide reaming rod, and they take delight in using it on us customers often (and forcefully). However, the coverage here simply cannot be beat, and I have never found a carrier that is more reliable to (domestically) travel with. However, the call quality and GPS issues do seem to be Verizon-specific with the pre. Ugh.

Best,

John
    We would all appreciate it if you would get Palm to hire you to help them with their market strategy, and UI. Sounds like it is right up your alley. Clearly they could use the help!

In terms of GPS, I know I'm old-school but I DO NOT want that on my phone. I use a Garmin Nuvi that goes with me on every trip.

I think the screens are too small for my eyes, and I don't want to figure out how to look at/listen to my GPS when I'm on the phone, or fear that I missed a turn because I was on the phone and it didn't want to interrupt me with instructions.

Sure, I use Google maps to find stuff near by my hotel sometimes, but I can't imagine doing real GPS stuff. Long ago they made GPS add-on products for the Treo, and I felt the same way about those. Before I got my Pre I had many opportunities to watch my iPhone and blackberry friends use a GPS on their phone while driving, and then hand it to me so I could watch the map, and then hand it back when someone called or an e-mail came in, etc. It's the same chaos for Droid users.

It was terrifying, and we got lost more than once. I know I'm old school on this, but I really don't want to use my phone as a GPS in the car. Especially when carriers want to charge me $10/month for that... Heck, I can buy a really nice GPS with the $240 that it would cost me over the life of my contract. I paid much less than that for a larger screen, free traffic notification for life, and all kinds of other goodness. I connect my phone to it via Bluetooth, and the whole thing connects to the aux jack in my car stereo.

Not as sexy as a single device with no wires, but very effective when I am driving around an unfamiliar city and I can't be late for a meeting or flight.

I think Google made sure that their WebOS app will never be as cool as what they put on the Droid, but even the best GPS app on any phone is still not interesting to me. Not even for free.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    This is an interesting thread for me. When I decided to move to a new phone on Verizon from my Pre on Sprint the only phones I considered were the Pixi Plus and the Blackberry Tour. It was really tough.

Things I liked about the Blackberry:

- looks professional
    - keyboard
    - sophisticated notifications
    - customization/configuration
    - email capabilities
    - battery life

The reasons I went with the Pixi Plus:

- webOS
    - cheaper data plan (Exchange Active sync instead of more costly BES)

I have no regrets, but I sure hope that Palm eventually makes a phone more like a Blackberry.
    Last edited by miata; 04/01/2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    The last time that I checked, the patch to which I think he is referring did not allow multiple selection. It just provided buttons to automate deleting everything. The obvious issue is that sometimes you don't want to delete (or move, or mark as read) everything, but you do want to perform the operation on a large number of items...and you would rather not do it one item at a time...especially for mark as read. That patch won't get you there. You really need a means to highlight (or checkmark) messages...and it's not there.
    I have the patch that allows you to delete without confirming. When I want to delete emails (or messages), I swipe them off the screen. The prompts "under" the message say Delete and Cancel. I ignore them (unless I wan to cancel the deletion), and swipe off the next one I want to delete. The first one is now gone.

I daresay I can do this faster than a BB user can click the ones he wants to delete, and then hit his delete button.

Wanna race?
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    This is an interesting thread for me. When I decided to move to a new phone on Verizon from my Pre on Sprint the only phones I considered were the Pixi Plus and the Blackberry Tour. It was really tough.

Things I liked about the Blackberry:

- looks professional
    - keyboard
    - sophisticated notifications
    - customization/configuration
    - email capabilities
    - battery life

The reasons I went with the Pixi Plus:

- webOS
    - cheaper data plan (Exchange Active sync instead of more costly EAS)

I have no regrets, but I sure hope that Palm eventually makes a phone more like a Blackberry.
    Personally, I prefer Palm's notification. The second bolded item I'm confused on. Exchange Active sync = EAS.
  11.    #51  
    @Cantaffordit, kind words to be sure, but I won't hold my breath for the phone call from Palm.

With regard to GPS, mostly I like the functionality for GPS-aware apps. You can do some pretty cool stuff if the app knows where you are (especially the apps that recommend things to you). As far as driving directions, yeah, not so much. I *definitely* agree with the small screen problem. As far as your other points go, I definitely agree, spot on.

Best,

John
    Upon thinking about it more, perhaps at least some of my apprehension comes from the price drop today. Not that price level means everything, but it is a decent analogue for market position and perceived value. As such, the fact that Verizon has only had this phone a little over 60 days, and it has already dropped to 1/3 of its original price (vs. where the Droid stands, which has been "out" far longer) is troubling to say the least. Anyhow, just wanted to make sure that was said.

Best,

John
    Interesting observation, but did you also see what they did to the price of other phones? Lots of reductions and "buy one/get one free) deals. There are lots of new devices coming this year, and carriers are trying to grab and defend their installed base before that happens. They also tend to clear out inventory in anticipation of new phones (not necessarily the same brand).

If they are getting Nexxus and/or iPhone, they want to grab users now and clear out inventory. This happens pretty often, especially on Verizon. My first Treo cost me about $400 with a 2 year contract, the next one was about $149 two years later, etc. I'm not interested in what the next round of Verizon phones are, so the Palm was a good move for me. My next phone will be an LTE phone, and that won't have strong coverage for the next 18-24 months. If I was on Sprint, I might feel differently since they bet the ranch on WiMax. I think Verizon is making a better choice for their 4G strategy, and it will take about the same amount of time it took them to get good EVDO coverage, and then upgrade their network to Rev-A. By the time AT&T or Verizon have strong LTE coverage, they will be building phones into wrist watches or the heads-up display of my car's windshield. I you are lusting for a Nexus or another something else that is rumored to be coming this summer, it might be good to wait. For me, I'll be happy with my Pre until LTE is widely available on Verizon.

Just my two cents.
    @Cantaffordit, kind words to be sure, but I won't hold my breath for the phone call from Palm.

With regard to GPS, mostly I like the functionality for GPS-aware apps. You can do some pretty cool stuff if the app knows where you are (especially the apps that recommend things to you). As far as driving directions, yeah, not so much. I *definitely* agree with the small screen problem. As far as your other points go, I definitely agree, spot on.

Best,

John
    I agree with that. I've found that the location-based services on my Pre have been fine. The phone can use the cellular network to triangulate, or it can use the GPS signal. Triangulating has obvious limitations, but I have found Yelp and Google maps to be as close as my Garmin most of the time. Sometimes it's even better because Garmin doesn't update their maps more than once every year (and the upgrade costs almost as much as you pay for the device).

Test it out using the GPS signal. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The easiest method is to just filter them When viewing contacts, there is a button near the upper right that lets you select which accounts you want to see. That way you can ignore your Facebook contacts, but they are still there if needed. This also works for multiple calendars.
    I don't have a button on my contacts to do this, I do know where it is on the calender. Can you upload a screenshot to show what you are talking about?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I prefer Palm's notification. The second bolded item I'm confused on. Exchange Active sync = EAS.
    I should have been more specific. I am talking about LED notifications. I only want to see when I miss a call and with webOS there is only one LED notification for email and missed calls. Is almost useless for me -- unless I just want to know when the email server is down

good catch. I meant BES for Blackberry -- rather than EAS. BES is $45/mo versus $30 a month for the Palm Pixi data plan with EAS.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    I prefer the Sprint Nav on my Pre, works really well with voice turn by turn directions that either plays over my car's stereo or over my BT headset and plus it's free! Plus, I travel a lot so it's nice that I can leave my ipod and aftermarket Nav at home, less things to carry. I am waiting to see what options there are this summer/fall and hopefully Palm will be releasing a new platform, really interested in Sprints 4g. My last phone was a Blackberry, has some good points, but with it's outdated UI and lack of touch screen it was just not for me. I know corporate suits like them because all they do is check/send email and text. Right now my launch day Pre is peforming well and am enjoying webOS, IMO the best software/UI in the industry.
    For number 2, there's an easy solution.

Lern 2 spel beter.

Seriously though, the lack of spell check doesn't bother me. On my PC I spend more time having to add new words that it doesn't recognize than actually having it get anything that I spelled wrong.

And spell check doesn't recognize when it's the wrong word (but spelled correctly) either, so no matter what you do, you really have to keep an eye on things anyway.

But maybe that's just me... I mean I'm one of those old-timers who still does math in my head too, without these newfangled calculators.
    Quote:
    "Up arrow is caps. Press it twice and it keeps it caps until you turn it off. Double space after periods is not a big thing especially since with typing it has gone out of use. But is it really that had to hit SPACE BAR, SPACE BAR - this is not meant to be snarky but a serious question."

I don't want to speak for John, but I think he is talking about the punctuation short cuts in BB (also in iPhone), where instead of typing a period, you just tap the space bar twice. Etc.

John said:
    "Most people I know just looking for a professional device would not bother. They need their device to support their work, and their appetite for supporting their device (that is supposed to be supporting them) is typically very low."

Ditto. That's my frustration with my SO's pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubi View Post
    I don't have a button on my contacts to do this, I do know where it is on the calender. Can you upload a screenshot to show what you are talking about?
    All my contacts are from my outlook profile, so I didn't expect to be able to show you what I was thinking about. That made me curious so I decided to dig around to remember what I was thinking about. I may have been thinking about the PocketMirror setting I used to prevent other contacts from my phone being sync-ed with my Outlook client. My brain seems to be a bit foggy today.

Sort of the reverse of what I was thinking in my previous post, but I had to deal with it because I wasn't prepared for the way the Pre pulled in contacts from every web account I had. Once I figured out how to prevent that and get the Outlook sync working (basically I still sync to my PC like in the days of the old-school PalmOS/Palm Desktop days). I recall that one of the sync programs also allowed me to specify which outlook folders I sync-ed from, but I don't recall where I saw that because I didn't have time to mess with it. I was always diligent to keep my contacts categorized (almost 3,000 of them) so a lot of the coolness of synergy is lost on me.

So the setting I was thinking of my have been in my sync application. That's the second time today that I have remembered incorrectly. There is also a home brew app called Contacts Plus that may help you, since I have totally failed on this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Quote:
    "Up arrow is caps. Press it twice and it keeps it caps until you turn it off. Double space after periods is not a big thing especially since with typing it has gone out of use. But is it really that had to hit SPACE BAR, SPACE BAR - this is not meant to be snarky but a serious question."

I don't want to speak for John, but I think he is talking about the punctuation short cuts in BB (also in iPhone), where instead of typing a period, you just tap the space bar twice. Etc.

John said:
    "Most people I know just looking for a professional device would not bother. They need their device to support their work, and their appetite for supporting their device (that is supposed to be supporting them) is typically very low."

Ditto. That's my frustration with my SO's pre.
    I agree about the double-space to add a period to the previous sentence. It's not as bad with the Pre because it doesn't require the shift key to type the period, and I didn't have it on my Centro. But, it seems silly that Palm didn't see that as a "standard" behavior and add it. Maybe jason will create a patch for that...

It's the little things that Palm needs to change as the UI matures.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast