1.    #1  
    Hi,

I got the Too Many Cards error this morning for the first time. I only had 2 cards open at the time - App Catalog and Free Apps. The phone became extremely sluggish (minimizing cards, switching cards, selecting items) and after a while, the error came up. It said Memory Critical - Too many cards.

I was unable to close or minimize cards. The only option I had was remove the battery. I removed it for 30 seconds then turned the phone on. It came up with the Palm logo, but never completed booting. I took the battery out for 5 minutes then turned it on. This time, it booted successfully.

Is this normal behavior for this situation? What causes it? I wouldn't think that 2 cards would trigger this.

Thanks for any help,
    Panagiotis
    Do you have JsTop installed?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  3.    #3  
    No I don't. I don't even know what that is.

BTW I should have added I have a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon w/ 1.4.0 OS
    JsTop is a Homebrew app that helps clear out memory. I haven't had any "Too many cards" errors at all since I installed it.

If you don't know how to install Homebrew apps, search the forums for the tutorial on how to get started.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Hi,

I got the Too Many Cards error this morning for the first time. I only had 2 cards open at the time - App Catalog and Free Apps. The phone became extremely sluggish (minimizing cards, switching cards, selecting items) and after a while, the error came up. It said Memory Critical - Too many cards.

I was unable to close or minimize cards. The only option I had was remove the battery. I removed it for 30 seconds then turned the phone on. It came up with the Palm logo, but never completed booting. I took the battery out for 5 minutes then turned it on. This time, it booted successfully.

Is this normal behavior for this situation? What causes it? I wouldn't think that 2 cards would trigger this.

Thanks for any help,
    Panagiotis
    It would help to note what patches, themes, tweaks etc., you have installed. Also if you have the storage full 100% with Music etc..
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    I've had my Pre since last June and have only had the Too Many Cards error twice. I think they were both caused by having my Pre on for weeks straight. Rebooting the phone solved the problem for me
  7.    #7  
    I haven't copied anything to storage - just apps installed.

Patches:
    3000 Autoreplace words v1.4.0-3
    4x4 icons v4 no arrows plus more v1.4.0-12
    Ad blocker v1.4.0-31
    Advanced options in launcher v1.4.0-12
    Advanced reset options v1.4.0-12
    All-day events in month view v1.4.0-6
    Battery icon as percent v1.4.0-3
    Call duration in call log v1.4.0-18
    Character counter v1.4.0-6
    Enable landscape email v1.4.0-20
    Enable landscape messaging v1.4.0-3
    Hide header 1.4.0-3
    Hide vznav v1.4.0-24
    Hide youtube app v1.4.0-20
    Ignore a, an, the v1.4.0-3
    Prevent removal 1.4.0-30
    Really silent ringer switch mute v1.4.0-12
    Simple shutter sound off v1.4.0-16
    Smiley faces in symbol box v1.4.0-25
    Unthrottle download manager v1.4.0-10
    Wrap location field v1.4.0-28
    Wrap pages v1.4.0-3

Hope this is enough detail.

Panagiotis
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    There are many, many threads on this subject already, so for more info you could try a search (I suggest Advanced Search with Titles Only).

But the brief answer is that over time webOS or some apps will "lose" some memory, so you can get this error even if you have only a couple of cards open. I suggest doing a reboot using the Orange-SYM-R keys (rather than a battery pull). I also use the Luna Manager Homebrew app and occasionally do a "Restart Luna" (which is faster than a full reboot). Whenever the phone feels a little "sluggish", do a Luna Restart.
  9.    #9  
    The thing is, the sluggishness came on suddenly. It was running normally after I opened App Catalog. I opened Free Apps and hit refresh. This is when it got sluggish then a few seconds later I got the error message.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I found the same thing this AM when i woke up. Was on TS and locked up at 0508 with " Free Apps updating" which I had never clicked on? and the Too many cards msg. showing!
    I had to remove battery and restart! I haven't gotten the "too many cards error" in months. I had just installed the 1.4.1.1 update last night!
    I deleted the Free Apps app!
    I started getting the "Too Many Cards" error for the first time a few weeks ago after installing a couple of the free game demos. Run into it a couple of times a week now. Reboot the phone, it comes back after I surf the web or watch videos on youtube and then try and open a game. This is a bone stock Pre. No patches or tweaks.