Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Well now that mobile hotspot is free I feel compelled to switch over, I was wondering if the Pre Plus still had GPS issues as I use Google Maps constantly.
    Yes, it still has issues. Very weak - you must use it outdoors with absolutely no overhead obstruction (including your car roof!) It's slow and also has limited options, as opposed to just about every other smartphone leading the way. Sorry, I am a Palm fan and would sing praises for most other options on this phone (except calendaring), but this has been bugging me since day 1 and it's irritating that Palm is just letting this slide. The Sprint Pre has phenomenal GPS performance and is even able to grab a signal much quicker indoors than a Pre Plus can, outdoors.

Most GPS apps are useless on the Pre Plus, unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Does the performance improve when you have that VZ nav app open?
    Why don't we wait an see until the 1.4.1.1 update comes out for Verizon. It hasn't come out yet.
    I honestly don't think it's a hardware issue.. I think it's more of a Verizon issue
    In 1.3.5.1 opening the VZW app did help, but now it makes no difference. I literally will not get any signal at all if there is anything overhead, blocking a clear sky. Literally, if I hold my Pre in my car, it won't work. I have to throw it up on the front of the dashboard, near the windshield, and hit the "find me" button about 5-10 times before I get a signal.

It's painful, not only for obvious reasons, but also because I can't use the apps available that incorporate GPS, such as YPmobile and "find my car". Imagine, I would have to literally "stand outside" to get a GPS signal, so I can figure out what the weather is. Kind of a moot point, don't you think? Apps like Foursquare are useless. I'm not going to stand outside fiddling with my Pre, before entering every building. A complete waste of my time.

I personally believe it is Verizon, but others believe it's not. There's no reason why two identical phones (on separate networks) would have such dramatic differences. I guess we'll see when AT&T's version comes out who is lying and cheating... but then again, we all know what kind of company Verizon is, so for myself, I'm not holding my breath.

1.4.1.1 won't fix this - release notes already showed nothing around GPS, as far as I know. Verizon wants us to use their Navigation App, unfortunately, so they can make more money.
    In fact, I just stood by a wall of windows in my office (see this picture to understand what type of windows I'm talking about: http://www.trendir.com/interiors/roc...ed-bedroom.jpg) and tried using YPmobile again, and even now, it still doesn't work. Aside from standing directly next to satellites 50,000 feet in the atmosphere, I'd say the Pre Plus fails with GPS (and I hate to use that word).
    I just tried my Palm Pre Plus with YPmobile out of my office window (which is not big and has about a 10 foot overhang outside), and it found me with no problems.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I suppose the best way for me to find out is if I go over to the VZW store later and see if it can get a lock.
    short answer...yes it still has GPS problems. one of the reasons I am HOPING the delay of 1.4.1.1 is because of this. fingers crossed on them fixing it, got lost driving last night because I couldn't trust the GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by rockandchelle View Post
    I just tried my Palm Pre Plus with YPmobile out of my office window (which is not big and has about a 10 foot overhang outside), and it found me with no problems.
    Do you have "enable google services" on? Go into "Location Services" -> Preferences -> "Locate me using" and make sure that only GPS is enabled. If this is the case, and you only have GPS checked on, consider yourself lucky. I tested this on 5 different Pre Plus phones and they all exhibited the same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    I suppose the best way for me to find out is if I go over to the VZW store later and see if it can get a lock.
    The ones in the store have "enable google services" turned on. Make sure you turn this off and reboot the phone. I'm fairly certain you won't get a signal in the store. I've tried this in 2-3 different stores...
    Mine had enable google services turned on...forgive me for not knowing, but what does this mean? Do I not want 'enable google services' turned on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Mine had enable google services turned on...forgive me for not knowing, but what does this mean? Do I not want 'enable google services' turned on?
    What Enabling Google Services does is it bypasses the GPS and uses cellular tower triangulation. So while you'll get a location, it will not be via the GPS and it will not be nearly as accurate. Eventually, if you are outdoors long enough, GPS should pick up and bring the accuracy to within a few feet. Using google services, your accuracy can be 1/2 mile off at times. Not good if you're driving and certainly doesn't help for other apps....

No worries, I made the same mistake. When you go to the stores, they all work because they have this enabled, but when you disable this and reboot the phone (rebooting necessary so no GPS info is cached), it won't work.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    "Google Services" sometimes can be hundreds to thousands of yards off my actual location. I have it turned off, because when I use GPS (map, golf), no location is better than a wildly inaccurate one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    "Google Services" sometimes can be hundreds to thousands of yards off my actual location. I have it turned off, because when I use GPS (map, golf), no location is better than a wildly inaccurate one.
    Ahhh... yes... you've just reminded me of yet ANOTHER group of apps I've been dying to use, but can't, thanks to Verizon - the Golf GPS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    Do you have "enable google services" on? Go into "Location Services" -> Preferences -> "Locate me using" and make sure that only GPS is enabled. If this is the case, and you only have GPS checked on, consider yourself lucky. I tested this on 5 different Pre Plus phones and they all exhibited the same problem.
    I did not know that even existed. I just turned the Google Services off, and the phone is rebooting. I will post back once it is up and going.
    Hmm...can't get a lock now. I will have to investigate this some more when I am out in the open.
    Ok, so I turned Google Services Off. When I left work I did a restart of my phone. When it started back up I put it in Airplane mode. I started Maptool (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/maptool) and placed the phone over my dash. Within about 15 seconds I had a fix, and the accuracy was about 400 ft. About 30 seconds later the accuracy was 30 or so feet.

Again, I have a Palm Pre Plus. So, maybe I am one of the lucky ones.

One other note, I did not try starting VZNavigator or the ##GPS# first. I went straight to this app.
    I'm somewhat glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has this problem. Its been driving me *crrrrazy*. I thought that perhaps it was the overclocking maybe doing it, so removed that patch - no difference.

I've tried rebooting, tried shutting down and restarting, etc, etc.

It seems like "sometimes" the GPS "decides" to work and most times, it just wont.

I wish we could get a straight answer from Palm about this. (anyone know someone at Palm? Any Palm people ... around?)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast