Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Keep bugging Palm and Verizon about this until someone fixes it. Pass on any info if happen to find anything out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsanders View Post
    This is just about the most honest answer I have ever gotten from Verizon:

"... regarding the GPS after I met directly with Palm. This is a Verizon issue. We have disabled the GPS functionality other than with VZNav. We are in talks with Palm and hope this can be corrected in an upcoming software release."
    That is BS. On two levels. First of all, that makes no sense. If that were the case, then why is it that GPS works for me occasionally (rarely admittedly)? And that is WITHOUT VZ Navigator open or anything.

And second, if this is a statement of the actual problem, then BOO! Shame on you Verizon! Greedy AGAIN!
    I turned off Google services like the previous posters mentioned and now my GPS works perfectly!!!

Just goto Location services -->Preferences (upper left corner) --> Locate Me Using... --> and uncheck Use Google Services.

The question is, why would anyone want to use Google services when it so inaccurate? Does the GPS drain battery even when your google maps is just a card in the background?
    This is just about the most honest answer I have ever gotten from Verizon:

"... regarding the GPS after I met directly with Palm. This is a Verizon issue. We have disabled the GPS functionality other than with VZNav. We are in talks with Palm and hope this can be corrected in an upcoming software release."

i find it hard to believe that this came out of the mouth of a verizon employee -- i am sure there are a lot of people that would like to believe it also and verizon doesn't have the best history with this kind of stuff ( i went out and bought a motorola V710 for the bluetooth that was completely locked down) but like with that i doubt that verizon would ever cop to locking something down on the phone. Also since 1.4 a lot of pre owners have been complaining about the GPS -- sprint and bell customers as well as verizon customers -- Besides when the GPS is awake it works fine with programs like intersection, where is my pre, trapster and although imperfectly with google maps -- there are issues with the GPS performance in VZ nav at times as well so whoever told you that is not well informed and should not be talking

rob
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i find it hard to believe that this came out of the mouth of a verizon employee
    I copy/pasted the text from the email that they sent me. So, yes, a Verizon employee actually said (typed) that.

ETA: GPS has never worked properly for me.
    Nicky
    I copy/pasted the text from the email that they sent me. So, yes, a Verizon employee actually said (typed) that.

i'd like to see that e-mail
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    just a follow up, I made my way to the VZ store the other day and all 4 Palm phones I tested worked fine. I tested it against my Sprint Pre and they all acted the same so I see no reason to not get a VZ Pre based on it's GPS performance.

Now if only I could get the same answer twice in regards to the "free" status of mobile hotspot...
    Pathetic. The whole thing is pathetic. GPS not working - how could they have missed that? GPS only working with VZ Navigator - how could they have missed that? GPS locked out by Verizon UNLESS you are using VZ Navigator - how could they think that was OK?

Regardless of the source of the issue or reasoning behind it, it is all just pathetic.
    Google maps and GPS works fine for me on Verizon. I just tied it. I'm sitting in the lowest level of my house, started up google maps and located me perfectly on the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    That is BS. On two levels. First of all, that makes no sense. If that were the case, then why is it that GPS works for me occasionally (rarely admittedly)? And that is WITHOUT VZ Navigator open or anything.
    I have it intermittently as well, however, this does act like something is randomly stopping the GPS data or switching it off. It does not appear the GPS hardware is failing at all. And being it actually does work with third party stuff and not the installed google maps, it would appear this phone was intentionally set up to only allow GPS to be active for VZ Nav and hinder all other GPS apps in order to promote paying Verizon an extra $10 a month for something they don't even supply a service for. Let us buy the app once and be done with it maybe, but allowing my GPS phone to use it's GPS is going to be the only way they can save face right now. Or they sold me a phone with false advertising.

Just my opinion...

I totally believe this. A GPS application vendor that competes with Vz Navigator told me the same thing that VZ locked the GPS interface to keep other applications away. Their name rhymes with Welenav.
    Last edited by swieder; 04/08/2010 at 09:03 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    And here I thought with the advent of free mobile hotspot that VZW was finally being customer-centered. How stupid am I? Same old greedy Verizon.
    You'd think someone could come up with a patch to rectify this. I mean, if we can get around the tethering issue (before free mobile hotspot), you'd think we could work around the GPS/VZ Navigator lockout issue.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i'd like to see that e-mail
    Here is the first response I received regarding GPS (about a month ago):

I called one of my old coworkers in Tech support to see if I could get a straight answer. (We didn't have Google Maps available when I was in that department).. I was told from the tech rep that VZ Nav is of course fully supported since it is a Verizon Wireless product/service. When it comes to Google Maps the Palm has some sort of software issue that it doesn't pull down the GPS. Running VZ Nav will allow it since VZ Nav doesn't have an issue with reading GPS and pulling it down to the phones operating system for other applications to use. It was recommended from tech support to uninstall and reinstall Google Maps. This solution has been tested but with limited success rate. Beyond that they are referring to Palm directly. The hope is with enough customer complaints they will issue a software release to correct. There is hope though, I do remember that the first Blackberry that launched with Google Maps had the exact same issue, it was later corrected by Blackberry with a software update.

Here is a follow up email that I received on Monday:

I sent you an email a while back regarding the GPS after I met directly with Palm. This is a Verizon issue. We have disabled the GPS functionality other than with VZNav. We are in talks with Palm and hope this can be corrected in an upcoming software release.
    Nicky
    I still say your source sounds fishy -- i have never had to open vz nav to get a fix and believe that the problem is more a problem with the GPS chip sleeping and not waking up -- maybe vz nav wakes the chip better. I don't know i have that ap hidden and have never used it. If i have a hard time getting the GPS to wake up i use the ##477# trick. The GPS will only not work when i am indoors -- where my Garmin nuvi will not aquire a signal either. -- I know that verizon has locked down things in the past but this one simply doesn;t make sense --- navigation is a very small part of what the GPS is used for -- and my GPS worked flawlessy prior to 1.4 -- i am telling you that what happened is palm put in a protocol to shut the GPS chip down when not in use and the wake up is flawed somehow -- besides i have been dealing with verizon for 15 years and have yet to get them to admit to anything let along purposfully locking down phones -- and i knw that a verizon rep would never put it into writing no matter how much of a buddy they are to you. I am not syaing that you fabricated the e-mail - it just sound bogus to me.
    What is the ###477# trick?
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    What is the ###477# trick?
    open your phone dial ##477# it will open a menu for you - hit get a fix

this is ##GPS# by the way

make sure you have an open view of the sky
    you know one other thing that i have found is that i had he latitude patch installed and if i exited google maps with out hitting the clear map button in the menu it would screw the GPS completly -- i deleted that patch and have taken to clearing the map if i open google maps and this helps with the GPS too -- i think that a lot of these things are just voodoo because the GPS works well sometimes and not well others -- i have found that if i do the ##477# thing and then every once and a while run the GPS tests it keeps the gps working pretty well -- i use trapster every day during my commute and it works perfectly and where is my pre works manually perfect -- just will not run in the back ground due to the fact that 1.4 kills headless aps -- waiting for 1.4.1 to fix this --

thank for listening

rob
    Hi, new to the world of Palm. (Just bought the Pre Plus for my wife yesterday) I am, don't laugh, an avid WinMo user. It would not surprise me at all if Verizon was responsible for any GPS functionality problems. On my old phone, a Samsung i910 Omnia, it was a well known fact in Omnia forums that Verizon had locked the GPS so that it could only be used with their crappy VZNavigator. Not even Google Maps Worked. A Verizon tech told as much on the phone, he said that they blocked third party GPS applications so that they wouldn't potentially harm the phone. I had to install a cooked rom so that I could get Garmin XT to work, (which it did). Last month I upgraded to the i920 Omnia II and without any trouble at all, the very same Garmin program worked first try right out of the box, so there is hope that if Verizon has blocked the GPS unit in the Pre, they may release an update to remedy it. I haven't played with the GPS much on the wife's phone, but I will check it out an post any findings.
    I really feel like a broken record on here sometimes. If you have a Pre Plus and your GPS is working, without Enable Google Services checked consider yourself lucky. The majority of Verizon Pre Plus units DO NOT WORK PROPERLY. I have personally been through FOUR Pre Plus units, I have visited MULTIPLE Verizon stores and tested their floor models (after turning off google services AND rebooting the phone). The GPS does not work indoors and is sketchy, at best, outdoors. I have not been able to get GPS to grab a lock, whether I open VZ Navigator, type ##GPS# or open ANY other app since the release of 1.4 (other than 1 time).

There is a problem. There are FAR too many broken Pre Plus GPS complaints to call everyone bogus. I personally have also received a comment from Palm directly stating that Verizon was the root cause of the problem due to them disabling it, unless you use their VZ Navigator app. This is not new and it's certainly not false information.

In comparison, Sprint Pre units work indoors with pinpoint accuracy on most models. This is not a mistake. I suspect that Verizon is holding out on their release of the 1.4.1.1 version because they're fixing the GPS issues, now that AT&T will be getting the same phones. If the AT&T phones end up working and the Sprint phones work, but Verizon phones do not - this will make it VERY obvious what the cause of the problem is. Let's wait and see.....
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast