Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ok, I have been frustrated with google Maps from Day 1 as well on Verizon. My question is how we get it resolved? The Pre should not be lagging...

Two issues:

1. slow speed of use and app takes sometimes 30+ seconds to open
    Ive checked out other phones and google maps works so
    much better/faster on the iphone and droid. why is it so slow on Americas
    best 3G network, ha...

2. Accuracy is really inconsistent for me. At times its near perfect and then
    totally off. That makes every app that uses gps less effective.

Should this be addressed by Palm or Verizon. Palm should be pressuring Verizon to make this function work and we should be pressuring Verizon to make it work.

Any thoughts on who to contact and see that this is taken care of? This would be huge if it could be resolved anytime soon...
    @Peterules
    I can't comment on GPS accuracy but in terms of google maps speed, 1.4.1.1 really helped with maps opening within 4 seconds where before it was like 15-20 seconds.

I would wait and see what happens with verizon and 1.4.1
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Well now that mobile hotspot is free I feel compelled to switch over, I was wondering if the Pre Plus still had GPS issues as I use Google Maps constantly.
    The problems are over exaggerated by people , many of us have no problems at all with the GPS
    Lets also do our part in voting webos,for Quickoffice Development
    VOTE,VOTE,VOTE,VOTE....DO IT NOW,PLEASE
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmwebos View Post
    The problems are over exaggerated by people , many of us have no problems at all with the GPS
    problems are not over exaggerated, the GPS does not work properly and many times it does not work at all. I agree with other posters on here. I've used the Sprint Pre and the GPS works great. Multiple Verizon Pre Pluses I've encountered and all have exhibited the same issues. Read through the threads. If you have been getting a signal with GPS, it's likely you have "enable google services" on and not just GPS.

I can replicate the problem on every Pre Plus phone I've come in contact with. That is not over exaggerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmwebos View Post
    I just picked up my second PrePlus. I exchanged it in large part because the GPS would not work no matter what I did and figured it was the device. Now I've got a new one and guess what? Yup. Still no GPS. I was thinking it was something peculiar to my device. On the one hand, i'm glad to know it's not just me. On the other, GEEEZ! It's not mission-critical for me, so I'll keep it but CMON Palm/Verlizon. Fix the darn thing. Oh, and it would be nice if it would show itself trying to reach satelites as our old Garmin did.
    OK, so how do you turn Google services off? Is it turning of Background Data Services in Location Services?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    GPS has been an issue since 1/25/2010. I and many others have posted this issue here. I spoke with a VZW tech support person about the problem, and he was aware of the gps issue and "believes" it will be resolved with the next update 1.4.?.?. Of course he has no list of fixes, but in a major assumption, i would think that is why it's taking so long. My guess is the VZNav is causing the issue, almost like it's block the gps chip from waking up to any other application other than itself.

When i turn on vznav, but never "purchase" it, my google maps pin-points me almost perfectly, within 5 meters.

I'm not a palm developer, but that's my theory. We'll see in a couple of weeks or whenever this update will be released. If it's not fixed, i'm calling palm support every day until it is, to annoy them. It is DEFINITELY a software problem. I am on my 4th pre and all 4 had the exact problem with GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorgan25 View Post
    GPS has been an issue since 1/25/2010. I and many others have posted this issue here. I spoke with a VZW tech support person about the problem, and he was aware of the gps issue and "believes" it will be resolved with the next update 1.4.?.?. Of course he has no list of fixes, but in a major assumption, i would think that is why it's taking so long. My guess is the VZNav is causing the issue, almost like it's block the gps chip from waking up to any other application other than itself.

When i turn on vznav, but never "purchase" it, my google maps pin-points me almost perfectly, within 5 meters.

I'm not a palm developer, but that's my theory. We'll see in a couple of weeks or whenever this update will be released. If it's not fixed, i'm calling palm support every day until it is, to annoy them. It is DEFINITELY a software problem. I am on my 4th pre and all 4 had the exact problem with GPS.
    That same little trick works for me as well but only for a short time. The vznav must wake up the gps chip but once it goes inactive or you close the app I loose the signal and it goes back to inaccurate triangulation.
    Guys, I think I have a TENTATIVE solution. I have tried this approach this morning, and have been able to access GPS coordinates very quickly and within a few feet. Here's what I did:

I was thinking, it seemed almost like the software in the Pre+ was not "turning GPS on", so I added Jason's "GPS in Device Menu" patch. I though for sure it was going to say OFF, but it was indeed set to ON. I turned it OFF and back ON, and since then I have had no problems at all with it. It seems like the apps themselves are not adequately triggering the GPS chip, but manually doing so may do it. Since I did that, I have had no problems. Turns out there was a geocache in the park just across the street from church this morning. I followed it and got within 9 feet of it, but ran out of time and didn't get to hunt it down. Still, that's the best luck I have had with it since I had it. I have tested it periodically throughout the day and it still seems to be working well. I would guess that if it stops working well again, manually turning GPS OFF and then back ON in the Device menu may help.

I'm not saying this is a real solution, but it definitely has led to positive results for me so far today.

Hope this helps some people until VZW can get it permanently fixed.
    As a new VZW, old Sprint customer I'd like to chime in on this one. I don't think GPS issue has anything to do with Verizon or the VZ Navigator. I don't have a VZ Navigator subscription, yet GPS works quite well with all location aware applications except Google Maps. (and yes I have Google Location Services turned off) For instance YPMobile finds my location spot-on. Accuweather, mCraig and many others do so as well... So I really think this is an issue with Google Maps rather than Verizon itself.

Let me add that I also did my testing indoors.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    As a new VZW, old Sprint customer I'd like to chime in on this one. I don't think GPS issue has anything to do with Verizon or the VZ Navigator. I don't have a VZ Navigator subscription, yet GPS works quite well with all location aware applications except Google Maps. (and yes I have Google Location Services turned off) For instance YPMobile finds my location spot-on. Accuweather, mCraig and many others do so as well... So I really think this is an issue with Google Maps rather than Verizon itself.
    The programs like accuweather dont need your exact location. The can use the (what I think is) aGPS location, when you are within a few hundred feet, but using the maps program (google or YPMaps) for them to get an exact dot on location is different...see if yours is within a few feet, thats true GPS (no halo around you in the map program)
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    The programs like accuweather dont need your exact location. The can use the (what I think is) aGPS location, when you are within a few hundred feet, but using the maps program (google or YPMaps) for them to get an exact dot on location is different...see if yours is within a few feet, thats true GPS (no halo around you in the map program)
    Yes, as I explained earlier, YPMobile finds my location spot-on. No halo or approximation and no VZ Navigator running in the background.

I think whatever issues there is with GPS/Google Maps will be fixed with 1.4.1/1.4.1.1 update, whenever we get that on Verizon. I really think that this GPS issue is what's holding back that update.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorgan25 View Post
    I used Trapster for the first time today on my brand new Pre+. It couldn't get a fix for the first few miles, but eventually did. About an hour later at the end of my trip, I was driving up a 2-mile long private goat trail and it was alerting me that police often hide here while showing a blank map. (Trust me, the only bears in those woods were wearing natural fur coats!) Coming home, it did not give me one alert, and couldn't locate me accurately or tell what direction I was driving in. I didn't try rebooting the phone. I suspect that the GPS locked up, and the Pre+ was only getting location service from the Google system.

Long story short, I was reading this thread inside my house, and disabled Google Location services. When I opened the Minimap app, it still couldn't pinpoint me. Within 10 seconds of opening the (unsubscribed) VZW Navigator map, the GPS had my location down to 79 feet INDOORS! Right now, it's reading 39 foot accuracy, and I swiped the VZW Navigator card off the screen 5 minutes ago.

My work Sprint Pre was replaced by insurance a few months ago, and I noticed a few weeks afterward that Sprint Navigator couldn't find where I was with any accuracy. I think it was using the Google service only, just like the Verizon phone was. It took a phone reboot to get the GPS working, and it seems like I have had to reboot the phone just about every time that I've tried to use Sprint Navigator since. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is being caused by the replacement phone's GPS hardware, or if it was caused by the 1.4.0 update.

After seeing both Sprint and Verizon phones having identical GPS "lockup" issues with 1.4.0 that are apparently both related, I'm thinking that this is a software problem and not a sign of bad GPS hardware in the Pre+.....
    Well, the tentative solution I mentioned earlier today no longer seems to be working, so maybe I spoke too soon. Anxiously awaiting a solution so me and my boys can reliably go geocaching this spring and summer.
    I was having major problems with gps but my new replacement pre which I just got yesterday afternoon locks very fast now that I have google services finally turned on the new one.
    I tried contacting Palm to see what they had to say, but I was only getting real stupid answers and now it wont let me chat with them to follow up.

My dealings with Palm on the issue with chats posted:
    [link that I can't post]
    (I'm not near special enough to post a working link here...)

Honestly, not sure what the heck is causing this issue, but I can get my GPS working very solid when "Mapping Tool" is running. It is spot on in even not so great conditions and rather quick to fix on your location. Once that program has started, all other GPS apps work really well, at least for a while. I will see how this behaves the next couple days, but from the sounds of it, it tends to start failing again once it gets used to using that work around.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetarTed View Post
    My dealings with Palm on the issue with chats posted:
    [link that I can't post]
    (I'm not near special enough to post a working link here...)
    Here is the location:
    Palm Support Community : Hardware & Software : webOS Software : GPS!

Can someone post a working link to this or give me enough props to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by RetarTed View Post
    Here is the location:
    Palm Support Community : Hardware & Software : webOS Software : GPS!

Can someone post a working link to this or give me enough props to do so?
    There! GPS! - Palm Support Community

I know inability to post links before so many posts can suck but I think it's good to avoid spammers.
    GPS is deffinately a problem -- Mine was working great on my pre + but it was broken by 1.4 -- the VZ nav fix does not work for me and i think that it was more palm then verizon that broke this. I personally -and i have no proof for this- but i personally believe that with 1.4 one of the major things that palm was trying to fix was poor battery life. i think they did something to make the GPS sleep when not in use and that they did not go about waking it back up properly -- i think that they did not pass on to anyone who is developing aps how to wake it up. i think that this is like the fact that they decided to kill all headless aps and did not tell anyone. -- i am hopeful that 1.4.1 will fix this. not confident but hopeful

just my 2 cents

Rob
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    This is just about the most honest answer I have ever gotten from Verizon:

"... regarding the GPS after I met directly with Palm. This is a Verizon issue. We have disabled the GPS functionality other than with VZNav. We are in talks with Palm and hope this can be corrected in an upcoming software release."
    Nicky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast