Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I'm hoping that maybe Charles sees this, although I'm not sure that he reads these forums any longer, as he hasn't responded to my PM.

I was wondering if we're any closer to getting a Kinoma App for WebOS. I know initially they said they couldn't develop it due to limitations in the SDK, but I didn't know with tweaks to that and the PDK release if that had resolved some of those issues or not. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they are responding to inquiries in their own site's forums regarding WebOS either. Just curious, as this is one app that I miss tremendously. RadioTime doesn't stream Channel 95.8 out of London very well, and we can't stream BBC Radio One via the web link.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    second the wish for Kinoma (I have a WM license for it)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaihawk View Post
    I was wondering if we're any closer to getting a Kinoma App for WebOS.
    The existence of the PDK certainly helps, and we continue to watch webOS closely to see how it's doing in the marketplace.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    +1
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Here's hoping you guys decide to bring Kinoma to webos. I was a long time user of Kinoma Play on WM and would love to see it on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    RadioTime doesn't stream Channel 95.8 out of London very well, and we can't stream BBC Radio One via the web link.
    RadioTime doesn't "stream" anything. RadioTime only organizes and directs users to streams. The stream that you receive in the RadioTime application for 95.8 Capital FM is the same stream you'd get if you went to their website. There's no difference between opening up the stream in the WebOS Streaming Media application or playing it through RadioTime as they use the same HTML5 audio implementation that all audio applications in WebOS use. I'm not sure how an additional application is going to improve the stream quality.

Doc

RadioTime developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    The existence of the PDK certainly helps, and we continue to watch webOS closely to see how it's doing in the marketplace.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    In other words.. it doesn't seem too likely at this point.
    +1 for Kinoma.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    In order to bring apps like Kinoma, Slingplayer, Pocket Tunes etc. to WebOS (I had all on my Treo's) we must help Palm sell as many WebOS devices possible. I take every opportunity possible to demo my Pre - Supprised at how many people STILL don't even know what a Pre or Pixi or WebOS is... We need numbers as an incentive for developers to work on this platform.
    I already have all the streaming apps I need for the podcasts and stations I listen to (Stitcher , MediaFly and UberRadio) not to mention SPB TV. Too bad Kinoma isn't on the WebOS bandwagon but I really don't miss it now.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    yeah, I gotta say the options are growing, kinoma may have missed the bus. Even if it is a very short bus....

ya know that sounded good at first...
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Many times I have posted on the need for a Kinoma app for webos, yes there are many streaming apps available for the pre now but none have the expanded codecs like wma,wmv, etc that Kinoma offers not to mention that the Kinoma EX player I had on my Treo streams video as well. I still have not been able to get any current app on my pre to stream Clear Channel radio stations and the the Kinoma player handled them fine.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    I still have not been able to get any current app on my pre to stream Clear Channel radio stations and the the Kinoma player handled them fine.
    We have streams for them that are compatible with the Pre. However, because of licensing issues with Clear Channel, we can't list them. But, if Clear Channel decides to forgo making an iHeartRadio app for WebOS, they'll most likely grant a license to list them. We'll have to see.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    RadioTime doesn't "stream" anything. RadioTime only organizes and directs users to streams. The stream that you receive in the RadioTime application for 95.8 Capital FM is the same stream you'd get if you went to their website. There's no difference between opening up the stream in the WebOS Streaming Media application or playing it through RadioTime as they use the same HTML5 audio implementation that all audio applications in WebOS use. I'm not sure how an additional application is going to improve the stream quality.

Doc

RadioTime developer
    Doc,

Thank you for your post. I hope you didn't take my post as a slight towards RadioTime, as I use it all the time and think it's a very valuable application that I use on a daily basis. Is there a licensing issue that's preventing you from being able to stream BBC Radio One? I see where there are other BBC channels/programs listed.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Doc,

Thank you for your post. I hope you didn't take my post as a slight towards RadioTime, as I use it all the time and think it's a very valuable application that I use on a daily basis. Is there a licensing issue that's preventing you from being able to stream BBC Radio One? I see where there are other BBC channels/programs listed.
    No worries. I didn't take it as a slight against the application. I just wanted to make it clear that having an additional app wouldn't necessarily change anything about the streaming issues of that station. It has more to do with their streaming server and the network connection than anything else.

The BBC has some of the strictest licensing issues around. Most of them stem from entire regional licensing issue with them only broadcasting in the UK. There are mp3 streams available for Radio One now with their new player but they won't work in the US and there's no authorization to list them in the application. I don't think that's going to change any time soon either. The BBC stations listed in the application are all authorized for international playback.

Doc

RadioTime Developer