1.    #1  
    Eek...

So I just installed 141. I think. After being prompted. 'Your Palm will be unusable for 10 minutes during install'. Etc. Install screen comes up, download commences, download completes.

But after those 10 minutes, nothing. All I have is the static 'Palm logo' screen. That stayed there for a good half hour (after the install).

At which point I thought it might have crashed, so I pulled the battery. I'm sure I shouldn't have done that, but it's done now... However, I booted it up again and I've got the same screen. Just the static Palm logo.

Help?
  2.    #2  
    And I forgot to mention, I have pressed the power switch several times during both 'phases'.
    on one of mine, I had the same occurence

Went ahead and removed battery. waited 5 minutes

reinserted battery...wait another 10 minute

fired up fine after
    I had problems after upgrade too. I doctored my phone yesterday to 1.4.0. No special stuff (no themes, patches, ...)

This morning, I update via Updates to 1.4.1... After that, my phone cannot make Data connection and Messaging application won't start.

Only partitially reset helped.
  5.    #5  
    OK... Thanks chaps. I'll pull the battery again and wait a few minutes, I suppose...
  6.    #6  
    OK... Battery reinserted....
  7.    #7  
    And after 10 minutes, same again... ... Oh well, thanks for the tips. I think I might need to try some avenue of customer service...
    same here.

Received brand new Pre this morning. After playing with it for a bit I saw that there was a new OS version (1.4.1) so I hit the button to download it. It did this and then went on to install.

Having left it to do it's thing for about half an hour I noticed it was still sitting on the Palm logo screen. Left it for another 10-20mins and still the same, so thought it must be stuck after all this time and pulled the battery out for a bit.

Starting up again it was still only getting as far as the Palm logo screen (non flashing one). Tried leaving battery out for 10mins and 30mins, still the same. Tried orange+sym+r keys and it would restart but still sat at the same screen. I did leave it at this screen for 20mins but it never got any further.

Just went through the WebOS Doctor process and that has finally restored it, although in order to get WebOS Doctor to recognise it I had to hold the volume up key as I plugged the USB cable in. Start with the phone off (taking battery out if necessary), hold down volume up, plug USB cable in and when it turns on you should see a USB symbol fill the screen. Release the volume up key at this point and then WebOS Doctor will see it and you can click next on your PC. Let it do it's thing and it should then be ok. Note that this erases everything you might have on it!

I'm sure the update process for 1.4.1 didn't work properly because it surely wouldn't take an hour to process?! Running WebOS Doctor only took about 20mins all told. What's worrying is I didn't have any data on my Pre, no special apps or personal data, so there was nothing really that could cause the update to stall. Has anyone successfully updated to 1.4.1 without a hitch I wonder?!

Luckily I have nothing on it yet so I can be reckless like this!

Hope this helps,
    Richard.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ricahrd View Post
    same here.

Received brand new Pre this morning. After playing with it for a bit I saw that there was a new OS version (1.4.1) so I hit the button to download it. It did this and then went on to install.

Having left it to do it's thing for about half an hour I noticed it was still sitting on the Palm logo screen. Left it for another 10-20mins and still the same, so thought it must be stuck after all this time and pulled the battery out for a bit.

Starting up again it was still only getting as far as the Palm logo screen (non flashing one). Tried leaving battery out for 10mins and 30mins, still the same. Tried orange+sym+r keys and it would restart but still sat at the same screen. I did leave it at this screen for 20mins but it never got any further.

Just went through the WebOS Doctor process and that has finally restored it, although in order to get WebOS Doctor to recognise it I had to hold the volume up key as I plugged the USB cable in. Start with the phone off (taking battery out if necessary), hold down volume up, plug USB cable in and when it turns on you should see a USB symbol fill the screen. Release the volume up key at this point and then WebOS Doctor will see it and you can click next on your PC. Let it do it's thing and it should then be ok. Note that this erases everything you might have on it!

I'm sure the update process for 1.4.1 didn't work properly because it surely wouldn't take an hour to process?! Running WebOS Doctor only took about 20mins all told. What's worrying is I didn't have any data on my Pre, no special apps or personal data, so there was nothing really that could cause the update to stall. Has anyone successfully updated to 1.4.1 without a hitch I wonder?!

Hope this helps,
    Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thanks ever so much for that. In the end I emailed O2 and they are sending me a new handset. As that seemed the easiest and quickest solution, since frankly I just wanted a new phone. (Although they have been less than perfect on that: 'By 12pm on Saturday' didn't happen, and it's a bank holiday today, and it's now coming by Royal Mail not DHL. And they still haven't told me how they would like me to return my old handset...)

Oh well, I'll bear your advice in mind when I have to do the update on my new handset; Cheers!

James
    Quote Originally Posted by ricahrd View Post
    same here.

Hope this helps,
    Richard.
    Thanks! My phone was stuck on the Palm logo & not booting up!