Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had a long chat with palm support yesterday and it was enlightning, but also frustrating.
    Enlightning, because it explained why some people get apps, others don't.
    Frustrating, because there is nothing that can be done to change it but to replace the device.

Here's the deal:

When your start your phone for the very first time and create your first palm-profile, that is when your device gets registered and classified.

If your devices first contact with palms servers is done from Germany using a german provider you get access to the german app catalog.
    From that moment on, no matter what country you are in, no matter what provider you are using, no matter how many profiles your create and what version of the OS you use, the german app catalog is what you get.

The frustrating part is - the is no way to change that.
    If you buy a Pre on eBay, you get the app catalog of the country it was first registered.
    If you get a brand new device and registere it in a country that is not officially supported yet, you are left without any payed apps even after 1.4.1.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion around that topic - and I seriously hope palm will give us a way to reset the profile someday...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Wow thats harsh of Palm!
    ___
    Have already Pre-ordered my Nintendo Pre 2
    Yup. Their hardware sales are not exactly stellar, they could do with better software sales (and better revenue for devs so it's a win-win). Being 'exclusive' like this is stupid.
    Yeah, damn stupid it is!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Im surprised how long it took them to get paid apps international considering how badly palm need cash!
    ___
    Have already Pre-ordered my Nintendo Pre 2
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Please God, let this be a april fools joke.

If not I wish someome with good knowledge of EU law could take look at this. This just can't be right as it makes it impossoble to sell the device back to a supported country, basically its rendered pretty much useless. I want to return mine just for the heck of it, tired of being ignored.
    Last edited by Andreas; 04/01/2010 at 07:12 AM.
    It really is amazing that they could have such a policy - is Palm begging to go out of business?
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumpin View Post
    Im surprised how long it took them to get paid apps international considering how badly palm need cash!
    Why would they do this? I just can't see a reason to delay it? Is there concerns about EU and copyrights or something? I just can't see a reasonable explanation... Not that I really care too too much. Just one of those thoughts everytime I see a posting about apps outside of the US.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Webdoctoring and creating a brand new Palm Profile should enable you to re-register the phone elsewehere, right?

So webdoctor it, take it to e.g. the UK, put in a UK O2 prepaid sim. activate & create new palm profile, et voila...

Still wondering whether it would accept other credit card though. I can't even enter the preferences & accounts option from the menu in the app catalog app list scene on my German Pre acivated in Holland on KPN.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreyguy View Post
    Why would they do this? I just can't see a reason to delay it? Is there concerns about EU and copyrights or something? I just can't see a reasonable explanation... Not that I really care too too much. Just one of those thoughts everytime I see a posting about apps outside of the US.
    I think every European country still has its own laws concerning Tax etc.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    my first profile was made in australia, on a spanish pre. it gives me spanish app catalog.

so how can it have done this? it didn't go throu spanish servers...
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Not according to the OP post.
    No voila...
    That is so hard to believe though. I would expect that webdoctoring results in a virgin-empty Pre???
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    If I read this correctly;
    Your DeviceId/IMEI is checked and based on that info and what was registered during the device's first profile creation, your AppCat entitlement is determined.
    That would mean that Palm checks in its own databases for the initial profile created with your IMEI everytime you create a new profile? That is pretty privacy sensitive I assume and probably very incompliant with many European laws. Also means that I can't resell the thing. Still seems really hard to believe.

Oh well, maybe it's time to get a Pre Plus by the time its available in GSM flavor in Europe and activate it in a supported country.
  14.    #14  
    To get that off the table - it sadly is not an April's joke.

I'm positive Palm will extend the Appstores to other Eu-countries aswell, they are simply starting with the ones were the Pre is officially sold - I hope they are doing it fast.

Also it turnes out that there is no need to get frustrated if you (like me) did activate your Pre in an "unofficial" country.
    Even if you did activate your Pre in Germany (for ex.), and you see the whole german app catalog, you can only use it with a credit card of a country that is officially supported.

So for now, if you registered your new device in your own country you did the right thing, because you will allways only see the apps you can actually download, and when payed apps come to your country and you see them then you will also be able to buy them.

I guess all we can do is to rely on palm to expand the payed apps to as many countries as possible as soon as possible...
    Or at least expand the apps to all countires. This filtering is just silly.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It's a case for warez and another nail in Palm's coffin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    When your start your phone for the very first time and create your first palm-profile, that is when your device gets registered and classified.
    I had a suspicion this was what happening based on reports in the Swedish users thread. I just couldn't believe Palm would use such a wonky implementation of geofiltering.
    we need to get in to the right channels to pressure palm to rethink their app distribution approach. i had a brief exchange with HardBeatZ (Palm employee) on another thread here:

somehow, there's some reason involved in their approach, legal or otherwise. It seems that Jon Rubenstein, being CEO, is pushing this down the food chain and somewhere somehow our pleas are getting lost,.
    so we need to find the right person in the right department in Palm (they may be relatively small, but 1000 employees makes them a sizable corporation still), find out why they are doing this, and work towards having paid apps for ALL. how do we do this?

this is driving me closer and closer to warez sites. all those great apps out there ...
  19.    #19  
    They should at least offer a way to reset this.
    If I move to another country I need a way to reset the setting and have it re-set when I get there.
    Also if I want to sell my phone I need a way to reset that option.

They could simply add an option for that to the profile management page on the palm website.
    I can see how they do not feel the need to help you sell you phone, but it is a fact that people move around quite a lot these days and as such not being able to change to the catalog of the country you're in is pretty stupid.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast