Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Thanks, but first ever profile created on your device sticks. If that one was correct, you will always see paid apps, no matter what language or profile you use.
    I feel quite fortunate that my three devices are:

1) US Sprint catalog
    2) GSM German catalog
    3) GSM US catalog (should come in handy when AT&T comes online)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Thanks, but first ever profile created on your device sticks. If that one was correct, you will always see paid apps, no matter what language or profile you use.
    So to function it must be setup with the same country that the phone was sold in? No point for me trying to doctor my QWERTZ while visisting the UK then? (I set it to UK/English in first profile)

Must be loads of ppl in the UK who bought a QWERTZ from eBay or Expansys and can't access the App Catalog then, or will it work for them just because they still in a official country albeit a different one?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Is that some kind of genius rule you stick by; at first, always operate device as intended?
    Actually, I realise now that all three must have been activated once before they reached my hands.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    If I understand it correctly (feel free to correct me, Rod), the first time you activate your Pre and create a profile, it MUST be with the language settings that fit your Pre model:
    German for German o2 unlocked
    English (UK) for UK o2
    Spanish for Movistar

Your DeviceId will then be logged correctly by Palm servers, and the device (not the profile) will always have access to that particular AppCat version.
    At this point, I'm not sure if the language setting matters at all. It does really seem like the country of first activation (perhaps via the MCC reported) is the main criteria.

-- Rod
    So, when you got them, they were past the First Use app?
    For all three, the first thing I did was meta-doctor them.

-- Rod
    [QUOTE=tomi666;2355727]This post almost suggests the language setting is actually all that matters?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2354184[/QUOTE

But then why would there even BE a language/country choice, if there's only one correct answer?

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    Because Palm webOS development is probably 1 department, and Palm App Catalog another?
    Good point.
    This post almost suggests the language setting is actually all that matters?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2354184
    I would sincerely doubt it. I have a German Pre, activated in The Netherlands on a Vodafone NL (Business) SIM, using as language: German.

Data from the profile:
    Code:
    Language:	German
    Profile Status:	Email Verified
    I have the free apps in the catalog, but NOT the EA Games, No paid apps and no options to insert credit card data

If the language setting initially was the determining factor, I would have paid apps. But i don't
    Are you the first owner?
    Is this the first profile?
    Yes, I think I am the 1st owner. I bought it straight from the German store, and there is nothing to indicate it being a refurbished one.

And yes, this is the 1st profile ( I only made one: it immediately worked).

The only thing that was not according to standard for an official German user: I activated on a Dutch network with a Dutch SIM (using German as language).
    I activated using German as my language (and my palm profile shows the language as German). I now have it set to English.

Thought I'ld try this: set the language back to German:

If I open the app catalog using German as my language, and I immediately open the menu settings I can see a greyed out option for entering credit card data ("Einstellungen und Konten"). But I can't use it (duh: greyed out).

Once the catalog data is loaded: option "Einstellungen und Konten" is no longer there.

If I open the app catalog using English as my language: same thing.

Somehow, it seems like the app catalog data is compared to something on the phone. I wonder what it could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, I realise now that all three must have been activated once before they reached my hands.
    Realized that, too...

I got my Pre off Ebay Germany. Promoted as a new device, never opened, invoice with VAT, commercial seller, etc etc bla bla bla...

When i activated it i couldn't find the german apps (Spiegel online etc), but saw many english ones (facebook etc)

In the meantime i learned that i have a UK Pre that was activated once. Now i'm stuck to UK released apps... oh well...

At least my german credit card works. UK App Cat though.

I kept it because i think that a discussion with the seller might be very lenghty, loud and fruitless... Buit that's Ebay for you.

-Walter
    Vreemd...

Another thing that's weird is that whenever I create a German profile, I get an German profile page:
    Land: Deutschland
    Sprache: Deutsch
    Profilstatus: E-Mail-Adresse bestätigt
    I get the same, when I set the language on the login page to Deutsch.

--> same settings
    As far as I can tell:
    Unofficial users who see paid apps and can enter payment details have in common that they selected the correct language for the phone model at first profile creation.
    At least a few of them have done this via cell data of their unofficial carrier, and not using a RebelSim card.

I'm thinking of starting a new thread and collecting data of these users by way of a questionaire.
    It that's correct, than I'm clearly an anomaly! Considering the fact that I used the correct language for the phone model on profile creation.
    I bought my Pre in Germany. Operating it from Italy, which is not the the supported countries list.

Maybe this the reason why i get the message "your credit card may be fraudulent .... (PMT04020)" and I am not able to buy anything ???

Apart the stupidity of this, I do believe that some EU free commerce laws are violated: goods cannot circulate and people is discriminated according their country of residence.
    Yes, you're messing up the system
    "don't mess with my theory using your damn facts"
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joebel View Post
    Somehow, it seems like the app catalog data is compared to something on the phone. I wonder what it could be.
    Indeed it does.
    I can't see any apps at all but while starting up the App Catalog it shows the placeholders for the Featured apps icons.

Now, if I quickly tap top left corner it actually shows a proper menu although the option for Preferences & Account is greyed out.

Once the the App Catalog have loaded up, which is in a few seconds since its empty, it hides the place holders for Featured apps and the option option for Preferences & Account also goes away.
    Last edited by Andreas; 04/03/2010 at 09:45 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Sorry, but let's leave Palm out of any suggestion trying to solve this.
    They're just not the cooperative type of company, and any 'solution' depending on them, is bound to fail.
    Hehe, give 'm some slack - they sent you twice the new ROM first ;-)
    They should obviously get their priorities straightened out...
    I seriously doubt they have any :-) At least they fixed the Vodafone APN bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    I had a long chat with palm support yesterday and it was enlightning, but also frustrating.
    Enlightning, because it explained why some people get apps, others don't.
    Frustrating, because there is nothing that can be done to change it but to replace the device.

Here's the deal:

When your start your phone for the very first time and create your first palm-profile, that is when your device gets registered and classified.

If your devices first contact with palms servers is done from Germany using a german provider you get access to the german app catalog.
    From that moment on, no matter what country you are in, no matter what provider you are using, no matter how many profiles your create and what version of the OS you use, the german app catalog is what you get.

The frustrating part is - the is no way to change that.
    If you buy a Pre on eBay, you get the app catalog of the country it was first registered.
    If you get a brand new device and registere it in a country that is not officially supported yet, you are left without any payed apps even after 1.4.1.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion around that topic - and I seriously hope palm will give us a way to reset the profile someday...
    Sorry, but I really don't get the point where u say "there is no way to change that".
    Maybe there's not a way on our side to change this setting that is forcing a specific regional catalog depending on the activation process, but this also means there is a restriction at the source which forces this behavior of the catalog.
    It's not the way we register that has to matter, but the way Palm manages the catalog. The result is the same, but this mean that maybe complaining with Palm, over than looking for a workaround, is the best way to let them rethink this restriction.
    whenever I read a problem on here that I was also experiencing and then contacted Palm on that same problem I've been told so many times that they had not that much evidence of the problem. I start thinking we all come here to complain but we don't complain enough with the real support who can change things at the source...which is Palm support.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    rwhitby, tomi666, you guys are going above and beyond in research here, we're all grateful.

I'm just gonna enjoy my free apps for now (tweed ended up fixing some issues in their free version, yay!) and preware if i spot something i really want.

I'll just be patient and see if we come up with a sure-fire paid app solution. Or I'll wait until Optus gets the Pre Plus. Should be about the same time hell freezes over.

From what I've read, I'm lucky to have free apps. So, great! Happy Easter all.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast