Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Think twice before buying a Palm Pre, as your App Catalog will only contain free apps for the time being, and Palm will not care.
    I'm in unofficial country but I can not download any application, free or paid doesn't matter...

I want to say some hard things to Palm, but I know they will cencored...
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Facebook group of Pre lovers that hate Palm?
    if thats the case my palm profile was frist opened in the uk but im in australia now and still cant get paid apps

there must be more to it then just that?
    Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    we need to get in to the right channels to pressure palm to rethink their app distribution approach. i had a brief exchange with HardBeatZ (Palm employee) on another thread here:

somehow, there's some reason involved in their approach, legal or otherwise. It seems that Jon Rubenstein, being CEO, is pushing this down the food chain and somewhere somehow our pleas are getting lost,.
    so we need to find the right person in the right department in Palm (they may be relatively small, but 1000 employees makes them a sizable corporation still), find out why they are doing this, and work towards having paid apps for ALL. how do we do this?

this is driving me closer and closer to warez sites. all those great apps out there ...

I guess we do this more continuously contacting Palm support via every possible channel, opening possibly many different calls on such disappointment we all have and not just complaining among ourselves. I already contacted them many times now, not sure this is going to change something, since I am still waiting since months for some clear news on specific problems I have, but maybe day by day this push them a bit on such issues.
    What I have been told about some of the problems I had is that most of the times people complain about their issues on forums but never contact them directly at Palm support, which means they have lot fewer cases than in reality it is. So...we shall still try to find solutions all together out here, cause it's generally faster, but let them know at their support of every problem more and more.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    im really ****ed because of not getting any paid apps..why ? because i got a german-pre and activated it in austria..so still hanging with free apps (at least there are about 420 of them) and bad translated free apps..thank you palm...NOT !
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    When your start your phone for the very first time and create your first palm-profile, that is when your device gets registered and classified.

If your devices first contact with palms servers is done from Germany using a german provider you get access to the german app catalog.
    From that moment on, no matter what country you are in, no matter what provider you are using, no matter how many profiles your create and what version of the OS you use, the german app catalog is what you get.

The frustrating part is - the is no way to change that.
    My experience does not align with this explanation from Palm support.

My experience is that if you webOS Doctor a phone, and activate it again, then the country stored in your Palm profile is the language which was used to activate the device. My experience is that access to app catalog is based on the country stored in your palm profile (you can check this using the web management interface on palm.com). My experience is that if you use a palm profile on a different device, the IMEI is switched to the new profile (and the device which was previously associated with that profile gets a forced hard reset back to deactivated state).

I personally have 3 devices. A Sprint device (has a palm profile with the correct CDMA MEID and country set to US which accesses the US app catalog, and from which I can purchase apps using a US debit card from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards giftaccount), a main GSM device (which currently has a Palm profile country set to the USA, simply cause that's the language I chose when I activated it in Australia, and upon which I cannot buy any apps, nor see the free German EA games in the app catalog), and a secondary GSM device (which currently has a Palm profile country set to Germany, cause I tricked it by setting my language to Germany as I was activating it in Australia, and on which I can see the free German EA games in the app catalog).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/02/2010 at 06:41 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    I had a long chat with palm support yesterday and it was enlightning, but also frustrating. ......
    Was with the first line support? As they also told me the following yesterday:

10:55 E. Benitez: Sir, even though the update has already been launched and now you have the possibility to purchase applications on the European region, the system still does not allow such purchases. This should be resolved by next week. Let's say, the update was launched now so all of our customers have their phones updated by next week when the system goes live
    10:55 Me: ok so why can other customers make purchases?
    10:57 E. Benitez: None of our customers in the European region should be able yet. If you are telling me that you know someone from this region that can already make purchases, then I can escalate this case and give you a call back later today with a solution/explanation.

So I wouldn't rely on there info! My actual issue seems to be the implementation of Visa debit in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    My experience is that if you webOS Doctor a phone, and activate it again, then the country stored in your Palm profile is the language which was used to activate the device. My experience is that access to app catalog is based on the country stored in your palm profile (you can check this using the web management interface on palm.com).
    I have Germany and German language in my profile, but don't see any paid apps. My first actiovation was from Czech republic (in profile is English and USA)
    I doctored by UK GSM pre with US firmware back in the days of 1.3.5 (to be able to play Quake!!lol) and my app catalog went 'down' in apps, even though I had previously activated my pre in the UK...for the next few months the UK app catalog reached 400+ and I, with my US webOS, on my UK registered pre, only had 200+ apps.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgo10 View Post
    I have Germany and German language in my profile, but don't see any paid apps. My first actiovation was from Czech republic (in profile is English and USA)
    What language did you use when you first activated the device? I bet it was English/USA.

Quote Originally Posted by phil.hsr View Post
    I doctored by UK GSM pre with US firmware back in the days of 1.3.5 (to be able to play Quake!!lol) and my app catalog went 'down' in apps, even though I had previously activated my pre in the UK...for the next few months the UK app catalog reached 400+ and I, with my US webOS, on my UK registered pre, only had 200+ apps.....
    Yes, a GSM device with Country USA in the palm profile has the lowest number of apps in the app catalog visible, and definitely has no paid apps available. My main device is like that. My other two devices (one CDMA, one GSM) see the Sprint app catalog and the German app catalog respectivately.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I wonder if this policy has to do with software encryption import and export laws. For example, the US is forbidden to export software (and hardware) encryption algorithms to countries that are deemed terrorist countries. And since Palm doesn't monitor the apps that its users can put in the catalog, maybe this is their way of complying with those laws.
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I wonder if this policy has to do with software encryption import and export laws. For example, the US is forbidden to export software (and hardware) encryption algorithms to countries that are deemed terrorist countries. And since Palm doesn't monitor the apps that its users can put in the catalog, maybe this is their way of complying with those laws.
    Australia and the US have bilateral agreements on both those matters. This is not related to that.

-- Rod
    hi,

I live in Germany. I bought my Pre last winter (carrier is o2 germany) and activated it with language set to german. Since I updated to 1.4.1 I can see paid apps in the app catalog and I might be able to buy apps. I didn't tried to buy an app yet because I don't own a credit card but the possibility to enter credit card information is given.

I'm not sure if my questions belongs to the "problem" discussed here but why can't I see Demo Versions of the 3D Games (i.e. Assasins Creed) in the app catalog?

This is ridiculous bull****! Why is the App Catalog for at least the supported countries not equal?!
    What language did you use when you first activated the device? I bet it was English/USA.
    You're right, first profile is English/USA. Actual profile is German/Germany. But no change.

I see only ~ 71 apps in App Catalog, all free.
    My experience does not align with this explanation from Palm support.

My experience is that if you webOS Doctor a phone, and activate it again, then the country stored in your Palm profile is the language which was used to activate the device. My experience is that access to app catalog is based on the country stored in your palm profile (you can check this using the web management interface on palm.com). My experience is that if you use a palm profile on a different device, the IMEI is switched to the new profile (and the device which was previously associated with that profile gets a forced hard reset back to deactivated state).

I personally have 3 devices. A Sprint device (has a palm profile with the correct CDMA MEID and country set to US which accesses the US app catalog, and from which I can purchase apps using a US debit card from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards giftaccount), a main GSM device (which currently has a Palm profile country set to the USA, simply cause that's the language I chose when I activated it in Australia, and upon which I cannot buy any apps, nor see the free German EA games in the app catalog), and a secondary GSM device (which currently has a Palm profile country set to Germany, cause I tricked it by setting my language to Germany as I was activating it in Australia, and on which I can see the free German EA games in the app catalog).
    OK, I may have just disproved what I wrote above. Here's the experiment I did (this is from the IRC log at http://logs.nslu2-linux.org/livelogs...-internals.txt for today - there is other interesting information in there two about the getDevices method of com.palm.backup):

Code:
    Apr 03 01:06:50 <rwhitby> 1) A German QWERTZ GSM Pre, running a Country: Germany palm profile, without a SIM inserted, in Australia, on Vodaphone, sees 595 apps, including paid apps.
    Apr 03 01:07:48 <rwhitby> 2) The experiment is to prove or disprove the theory that the app catalog access is defined purely by country of first activation of the hardware identifier (i.e. IMEI or MEID)
    Apr 03 01:09:07 <rwhitby> 3) At https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/console/pages/LoginPage.iface I have two profiles, let's call them "experia" and "natura".
    Apr 03 01:10:01 <rwhitby> 4) Experia has Country: German, IMEI: 35813902052xxxx and a +49177344xxxx phone number associated with it.
    Apr 03 01:11:55 <rwhitby> 5) Natura has Country: USA, and no device registered.
    Apr 03 01:12:59 <rwhitby> 6) Virtura has Country: USA, and MEID:A100000647xxxx and a 0000008212 phone number associated with it
    Apr 03 01:23:28 <rwhitby> 7) My production profile has Country: UK and my IMEI with no phone number attached, and sees 421 apps, no paid apps
    Apr 03 01:23:48 <rwhitby> 8) Virtura sees 1876 apps, including paid US apps
    Apr 03 01:24:49 <rwhitby> 9) Experia sees 535 apps (not 595 as previously reported) and sees the latest paid apps for .eu and has account adding capabilities with .eu billing countries
    Apr 03 01:45:53 <rwhitby> 10) (for those who came in late, we're trying to prove or disprove the coutry-of-first-activation theory of app catalog access.  See points 1) to 9) in the backlog for the conditions under which this experiment is being conducted.
    Apr 03 01:53:02 <rwhitby> 11) First step is to create a meta-doctor for 1.4.1-wr with bypass first use
    Apr 03 01:54:30 <rwhitby> 12) double check it's the right device from the 3 that are in front of me, and then doctor
    Apr 03 02:10:48 <rwhitby> 13) device doctored, turn on wifi and login to natura profile
    Apr 03 02:14:45 <rwhitby> 14) Run first use - English/USA
    Apr 03 02:15:18 <rwhitby> 15) (no sim inserted)
    Apr 03 02:16:15 <rwhitby> 16) sign in to natura profile
    Apr 03 02:16:54 <rwhitby> 17) dbus-util --capture to see accountservices replies while signing into profile
    Apr 03 02:21:55 <rwhitby> 18) ok, now to see what the app catalog can see with natura profile on the pre that could previously see paid apps in german app catalog using experia profile
    Apr 03 02:24:47 <rwhitby> 19) ok, so my secondary GSM Pre, which was originally activated in Germany by my colleague who bought it there, can see paid apps in the german app catalog, irrespective of whether the palm profile used has Country: Germany or Country: USA
    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/03/2010 at 02:31 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boyblueeye
    if thats the case my palm profile was frist opened in the uk but im in australia now and still cant get paid apps

there must be more to it then just that?

'first opened'?

Where was the first Palm profile

yes, it was activated with uk english language
    Last edited by boyblueeye; 04/03/2010 at 02:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Terrible news though. Any chance this can be added to meta-doctor?
    - FirstUse with new DeviceId?
    Right, nice. Two thoughts:
    • it should be possible for Palm to just erase any data for a specific device?
    • I'm not the suing type, but the 1.4.1 splash screen explicitly stated that I should now be able to purchase apps...
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Cheers for taking time and looking into this. Even if its sad news its still good to have a better understanding of what causes the block.

Quote Originally Posted by ozuzo View Post
    Right, nice. Two thoughts:
    • it should be possible for Palm to just erase any data for a specific device?
    • I'm not the suing type, but the 1.4.1 splash screen explicitly stated that I should now be able to purchase apps...
    Took a screenshot of it during install because I thought,
    this is as close as I will get to paid apps.

Last edited by Andreas; 04/03/2010 at 05:47 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Wouldnt the develpers be interested in more customers, maybe its not Palm we should talk to but the developers. Imagine if Gameloft suddenly asked Palm to lift the ban and make purchase available from anywhere?

I better stop dreaming now and get something useful done today, this problem have kept me Preoccupied far to long.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    How about applying a bit of common sense?

Palm did not offer paid apps everywhere months ago.

Explanation 1: Palm is stupid, doesn't get it and entirely unhelpful. Don't really like customers and want to annoy users as much as possible instead of earning more money through rapid sales.

Explanation 2: There's a mess of laws and regulations to comply with. Several languages are involved and while a debatable percentage of people might be fine with getting the english version - many, if not most would demand apps or in the very least support, in their own language. On top of all that, there are contractual obligations with carriers who are paranoid about their own sales channels and insist on some restrictions.

With regard to the profile and what apps people have available - that sounds like it's bound to the profile - which is a good thing when you leave your country and still have access to your usual apps selection. In that case doctoring would not help - but using a different simcard and a new profile will. Just a guess though.

I have a german unlocked GSM (O2) Pre, but set the language to english. I get the german app catalog selection.
    I bought 2 games since thursday without any problems.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast