1.    #1  
    ... if this is true: iPhone OS 4.0 to have Exposé-like multitasking, global mailbox, homescreen contacts? « Boy Genius Report

For those of you unfamiliar with what Expose is in OS X, watch this:
    Fake, April fools!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Fake, April fools!
    April fools is April 1, not March 31 or March 30 (when articles about this discovery hit).
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    April fools is April 1, not March 31 or March 30 (when articles about this discovery hit).
    mmm.. then it's to be worried about..

Sorry, too much work
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    What upper hand does WebOS/Pre have...being free from apple ;p
    Free tethering on verizon.... er..
    Great multitasking...
    Monthly updates..
    Great community.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    If iphone 4.0 has multitasking like stated in current articles, it might be the nail in the coffin for Palm.

But we'll see. As long as Pre2 will be out at the same time, Palm has at least one last battle to fight.
    i don't believe iphone multitasking until i see it. ipad does not have multitasking. And Pre has still has the best user interface. Global mailbox is nothing to write home about... that should have been there from the beginning. Homescreen contacts could be nice. but i just start typing the name, and bam i have the contact right there, without it costing screen space
    These threads are so stupid and childish, and I'm not trying to be mean, but do you actually believe this stuff you post? 95+% of phone consumers most likely don't even know what multi-tasking is, or would use it anyway. Every month another "nail in the Palm coffin" comes out, that's how technology works. Most consumers buy what looks cool, or was best marketed to them, or what their friends have. EVO, DROID, iPhone 4.0, Nexus One, etc. new Windows 7 series, this is getting sickening. If Palm dies, it's no ones fault but Palms. What they need is more new WebOS handsets and marketing. The Pre and Pixi arent going to save them. I am a Palm f..boy btw, I'm just not an *****.
    if you think about it, iphone doesn't have a homescreen. It's just got a launcher and our launcher can do that already from what I believe. Also while multitasking may be on the iphone it won't be the same as they assume no thumbnails as ours have those as well as advanced gestures. The system which apple seems to be going with is very much like androids multitasking, not in the same league as the pre's. And with no gesture area, they just can't simulate the awesomeness that it is to swipe across the bottom of the screen to get to another card. In general the pre is a very good one handed easy access device with lots of cool little features that keep getting looked over. Ever notice how little the gesture area is mentioned? Now use something else and see how unatural it feels not having gestures! Gesture area is one of palms biggest legs up because it's theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    if you think about it, iphone doesn't have a homescreen. It's just got a launcher and our launcher can do that already from what I believe. Also while multitasking may be on the iphone it won't be the same as they assume no thumbnails as ours have those as well as advanced gestures. The system which apple seems to be going with is very much like androids multitasking, not in the same league as the pre's. And with no gesture area, they just can't simulate the awesomeness that it is to swipe across the bottom of the screen to get to another card. In general the pre is a very good one handed easy access device with lots of cool little features that keep getting looked over. Ever notice how little the gesture area is mentioned? Now use something else and see how unatural it feels not having gestures! Gesture area is one of palms biggest legs up because it's theirs.
    " in fact include multitasking, with app switching purportedly done by double-tapping the home button and selecting the appropriate active app icon. " Engdget had an article on this earlier Apple rumor twofer: Expose-like multitasking in iPhone OS 4.0, international iPad launch on April 24th -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by weizen View Post
    i don't believe iphone multitasking until i see it. ipad does not have multitasking. And Pre has still has the best user interface. Global mailbox is nothing to write home about... that should have been there from the beginning. Homescreen contacts could be nice. but i just start typing the name, and bam i have the contact right there, without it costing screen space
    iPhone OS 4.0 is reported as having multitasking capabilities with an Expose' switcher. The iPad will update to the same iPhone OS so you could probably expect multitasking there as well. (Multitasking capability is currently just a 'rumor'....although this particular one seems to be based on some careful extrapolation of the iPhone 4.0 SDK)

I completely agree with a previous posters comments regarding the gesture area on the Palm Pre...it makes for a lovely, intuitive way of moving around between apps and screens within the app, however that UI is sadly hampered by a less than stellar blend of hardware and a laggy WebOS.

Given sufficient time Palm could very well have a winner on their hands with WebOS, but I don't think they are capable of moving fast enough to take advantage of what appears to be a somewhat shortened company life span.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    These threads are so stupid and childish, and I'm not trying to be mean, but do you actually believe this stuff you post? 95+% of phone consumers most likely don't even know what multi-tasking is, or would use it anyway. Every month another "nail in the Palm coffin" comes out, that's how technology works. Most consumers buy what looks cool, or was best marketed to them, or what their friends have. EVO, DROID, iPhone 4.0, Nexus One, etc. new Windows 7 series, this is getting sickening. If Palm dies, it's no ones fault but Palms. What they need is more new WebOS handsets and marketing. The Pre and Pixi arent going to save them. I am a Palm f..boy btw, I'm just not an *****.
    BS, people aren't as stupid as you think. If people only buy stuff because it looks cool and is marketed right, why are companies like Acer and HP selling 10x as many laptops as Apple. Why do people wear comfortable clothes, not the best looking.

The OP was talking about advantages and multitasking is a big one. If you ask why people over here bought a Pre, many of them will mention multitasking. Anybody into smartphones knows what it is. And else, sales people will tell them. Multitasking like webOS is a big advantage and losing it will definitely hurt them.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Also while multitasking may be on the iphone it won't be the same as they assume no thumbnails as ours have those as well as advanced gestures.
    Actually, the latest iPhone OS update brought advanced gestures. If Apple adds an expose like multitasking feature you have your "thumbnails" that you speak of.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Free tethering on verizon.... er..
    Great multitasking...
    Monthly updates..
    Great community.
    - The iPhone has built-in tethering and almost all carriers except for AT&T support it (free of charge even), so when the iPhone hits Sprint and other carriers the end of this year it's as simple as uncommenting a few lines of code to enable it for Apple.

- This post is about Apple enabling multitasking, and as we all know about Apple they often withhold some things (albeit basic at times) and when they do finally release it's done to a level of perfection that generally no one else can match (take copy and paste for example); I expect the same for multitasking.

- When iPhone OS was first introduced (especially OS2) there were almost monthly updates. Palm's monthly updates to WebOS aren't exactly groundbreaking bringing new features, they're typically bug fixes (while also bringing other bugs).

- Great community? Precentral is indeed a great community, but that's a subjective statement as the WebOS userbase is a pebble in the pond compared to the iPhone userbase.