Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AT&T getting 'practice' Pre Pluses tomorrow? -- Engadget

Practice phones, The launch can't be that far off!
    http://learning.palm.com/splg/webos/

palm / webos learning video
    I would be willing to ignore all of the bad things I hear about att if they help palm out a little and do some decent advertising (highly doubtful but possible)
    I think someone on this forum reported this a couple of days ago; that is why I love this forum. Mid May release is what I think we're looking at. And it is actually good that they're having the store staff train on these. So maybe there will be some knowledgeable sales staff in the stores once the phones are available. I think that ATT training on new phones is totally opposite of Verizon. I say that based on a story I read a few weeks ago about how ATT has an extensive training program when it comes to phones that are new to them.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I think someone on this forum reported this a couple of days ago; that is why I love this forum. Mid May release is what I think we're looking at. And it is actually good that they're having the store staff train on these. So maybe there will be some knowledgeable sales staff in the stores once the phones are available. I think that ATT training on new phones is totally opposite of Verizon. I say that based on a story I read a few weeks ago about how ATT has an extensive training program when it comes to phones that are new to them.
    I'm still hoping for Apr 26th
    It does seem that at&t tries to sell you on their phones and what you can do with them on their network. So it makes sense they train their staff better on the phones their selling. Where as verizon tries to sell you on their network.
    can't it be earlier..is may a confirmed date?? anyone know?
    Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by tacktoday View Post
    can't it be earlier..is may a confirmed date?? anyone know?
    Technically, there isn't a confirmed date. It can't be earlier than April 26th b/c Verizon's exclusivity period appears to be 3 months and the end of that 3 month period is April 26.

If you figure 3 to 4 weeks of training you're looking at training being completed the last week of April. Then if you factor in the movement of inventory and stocking of the inventory mid-May makes a lot of sense. Now, as far as we know the inventory could already be waiting in one of Palm's warehouses and ATT will sell them on April 26. That is certainly possible.
    I have a feeling that AT&T is going to try to push the Pre. It's great that they have such an extensive training program. AT&T needs a new smartphone to get behind since they are losing their iphone exclusive sometime in the near future.
  9.    #9  
    I hope it comes ASAP
    http://learning.palm.com/splg/webos/

palm / webos learning video
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    All this waiting is painful. The earlier the better. I was a WM user and I am totally moving on to WebOS. It's just a much more elegant UI. Usability is just so much better.
    I kind of get the feeling Palm is taking a more hands-on approach with AT&T to try to prevent the issues they experienced with Verizon. Palm can't afford to have that happen again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I have a feeling that AT&T is going to try to push the Pre. It's great that they have such an extensive training program. AT&T needs a new smartphone to get behind since they are losing their iphone exclusive sometime in the near future.
    I agree. ATT knows that they need to diversify their smartphone portfolio in order to satisfy customers. A smart move on their part. And I to feel like they're going to give it more of an effort than Verizon did. You can already see this by looking at the webOS page on ATT and the emphasize they've placed on training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I kind of get the feeling Palm is taking a more hands-on approach with AT&T to try to prevent the issues they experienced with Verizon. Palm can't afford to have that happen again.
    I agree. I think that Palm learned a very important lesson from that Verizon launch. Palm needed to ensure that ATT sales staff understood the platform and how it works so that you don't have them turning people away from the phones.

But its also ATT's policy to provide excellent training to their sales staff on new phones; combined with ATT's approach and Palm's lesson learned you should see more informed sales people and less of a effort to turn people away.
    Here is a story on the practice devices:

AT&T Palm Pre Plus unboxing! « Boy Genius Report

Pics of the practice devices and box materials:

Album 1 « Gallery 24 « Gallery « Boy Genius Report
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Shouldn't the ROM be at least stable for training devices? That's worrisome.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    From what I've been hearing its gonna launch in the first part of May!
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Shouldn't the ROM be at least stable for training devices? That's worrisome.
    But are they using the current ROM that the current Pres are using or one specifically for the practice devices? Remember at CTIA, the ROM on the ATT devices was not what is on the current devices. It was running what is likely a test ROM called Arak. I would bet money that is what is currently on the practice devices.

So is it worrisome? No. B/c we all know that the 1.4.1 ROM is stable. Is 1.4.1 running on the practice ATT devices? Not likely as evidenced by last week at CTIA. Arak in and of itself is most likely stable and as is the case with a number of things problems can and do occur. The manager was able to get it working b/c he was able to test out the ATT address book feature and how it works with Synergy. And as we have come to learn, if Palm is made aware of the problem they'll get it taken care of. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Palm has their own practice ATT devices in Sunnyvale and that if the testers in Sunnyvale encounter problems they'll update Arak and the ATT testers will get the update.

No need to panic.
    Last edited by playboy; 04/02/2010 at 11:58 AM.
    But are they using the current ROM that the current Pres are using or one specifically for the practice devices? Remember at CTIA, the ROM on the ATT devices was not what is on the current devices. It was running what is likely a test ROM called Arak. I would bet money that is what is currently on the practice devices.

So is it troubling for buyers? No. B/c the 1.4.1 ROM is stable. Is 1.4.1 running on the practice ATT devices? Not likely as evidenced by last week at CTIA.
    AT&T units run 1.4.1. I'm sure the display units at CTIA are Palm's, not actually ones delivered to AT&T.

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-nor...slreports.html
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    AT&T units run 1.4.1. I'm sure the display units at CTIA are Palm's, not actually ones delivered to AT&T.

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-nor...slreports.html
    Ok. But I guess that my point to the poster is that 1.4.1 is stable for the vast majority of users. So in and of itself I don't see the reboot being of much concern.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    We still don't know if ATT is going with their own custom ROM (hence ARAK) or keeping it with the rest of the the world (1.4.1). I truly hope the latter is true. Look at what they did with Android (BackFlip). They crippled it. Is it possible to not have a custom ROM and still keep their own address book feature?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast