Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    It is now April 1st where I am
    same here, no paid apps, no update it is a sad day for us Canadian pre owners...
    at least its not as bad as what google is doing to android users http://www.androidcentral.com/look-o...id-application
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    at least its not as bad as what google is doing to android users http://www.androidcentral.com/look-o...id-application
    Please tell me thats a joke...
    as per Palm.ca they say the update will be release for Bell customers on April fools day... lets hope its not a big joke.. i say the release will be around 12pm ET and why i saw that because i believe most of Bell mobile operations is out of BC and someone need to hit the submit button...
    just a heads up.. but there is only 16 apps rite now in the app catalog... the update will be here soon... well i'm guessing...
    This whole update thing has turned into a comical farce. Being at the mercy of the carriers is just stoopid. Canada, Mexico, and France are now waiting for some, unknown, change to their update. Europe as a whole seems to have 1.4.1, Verizon has 1.4.1.1, no one knows what version the other countries are going to get.

Say what you will about the iPhone, the update system is handled direct from Apple, the Apps store is direct from Apple, the carriers can't delay, block, or otherwise hinder an iPhone user. Palm really should be looking at a similar system for themselves.

On the Palm Pre I'm at the mercy of not only the carrier, but also the developers who have to set their app up correctly in order for it to be downloadable in different countries.

Now Palm is fracturing the systems into different OS versions because of the Carriers....this is only going to make it more difficult, and thus less desirable, for developers to build for this phone.

What a complete FUBAR. For a company as experienced as Palm is in this arena they are showing an abysmal lack of smarts.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    just a heads up.. but there is only 16 apps rite now in the app catalog... the update will be here soon... well i'm guessing...
    And at least four of those apps give an error when attempting to even look at them. <sigh> Palm needs to change a lot of things before they start to even look competitive again.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Free apps - none. Paid apps - none.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    12:01... in BC, gimme? please?
    Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 850 pro (Microsoft finally beats me?)...No! Saved by Palm, yay Prē!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    This whole update thing has turned into a comical farce. Being at the mercy of the carriers is just stoopid. Canada, Mexico, and France are now waiting for some, unknown, change to their update. Europe as a whole seems to have 1.4.1, Verizon has 1.4.1.1, no one knows what version the other countries are going to get.

Say what you will about the iPhone, the update system is handled direct from Apple, the Apps store is direct from Apple, the carriers can't delay, block, or otherwise hinder an iPhone user. Palm really should be looking at a similar system for themselves.

On the Palm Pre I'm at the mercy of not only the carrier, but also the developers who have to set their app up correctly in order for it to be downloadable in different countries.

Now Palm is fracturing the systems into different OS versions because of the Carriers....this is only going to make it more difficult, and thus less desirable, for developers to build for this phone.

What a complete FUBAR. For a company as experienced as Palm is in this arena they are showing an abysmal lack of smarts.

appleb an just release updates.. Its just that they get it aproved from everyone before releasing.. Palms theory seems to be " were done, its out, deal with your provider..."
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    appleb an just release updates.. Its just that they get it aproved from everyone before releasing.. Palms theory seems to be " were done, its out, deal with your provider..."
    Not exactly sure what your first line says. iPhone updates come directly from Apple themselves through your computer into iTunes and then into your iPhone. At no point in that transaction is a carrier involved.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    This whole update thing has turned into a comical farce.
    [...]

Wow, calm down buddy. It's not like Palm is going the Android/Windows Mobile route of actually and meaningfully fracturing their environment into differing OS revisions. That would lessen its desirability towards developers.

Palm's method is simply resulting in a slow roll-out over the course of a week or so, instead of the more immediate Apple solution. Not a big deal.
    you don't miss a thing, we now have 486 apps in germany, but you can't download any of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by weizen View Post
    you don't miss a thing, we now have 486 apps in germany, but you can't download any of those.
    I'm assuming here that you've already updated to 1.4.1. Which means that it is the carriers themselves, and not something in the update, that is stopping the app catalogue from operating as it should.