Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    So, last night I wanted to try Preware. So, I connected my Pre to the computer and opened up Quick Install as I have done many times before, for installing homebrew apps. After Preware installed, I hit the on button (because I had been away from it for awhile and the screen had gone to sleep), the screen came on for just a second, then turned off and then showed the "Palm" logo. I waited about 10 minutes, and the Palm logo still hadn't started doing it's little animation flashy-thing like it does when it boots up. So, I pulled the battery, turned it on, and it just sat at the Palm logo again. I let it go for about 10 minutes, and there was still no sign of progress. I repeated this 4 or 5 times. So, then I resorted to the webOS doctor 1.4 and I got to the screen where it says to connect my phone to the computer. Well, as soon as I connect it, the Palm logo comes up, and it just sits there til I pull the battery out, and the "next" button on the webOS doctor application never does become available for me to click. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I might could try in order to try and save my Pre? or is it just bricked!?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Update to my problem above:
    I left my Pre connected to the charger all night (about 8 hours) and magically it was on and running again. However, all of my downloaded apps were completely missing! So, I went into the app catalog to start re-downloading them, and I kept getting some error saying, "This app uses <X amount> of space and you currently don't have enough space, please delete some apps and try again." Well, in the info app, it says that I have only used 4.5 Gigs of the 8 Gigs, so I don't know what's up with that. But, I got all of my data backed-up and then tried the webOS Doctor again. It worked (well, finished doing it's thing anyways). But, then when it started rebooting, it stayed at the Palm logo for about 2 hours before it started doing the flashy animation to the logo. And now, 8 hours after that, it's still doing the flashy animation thing on the logo, and doesn't appear to be progressing at all in the booting process. Has anything similar happened to anyone out there? I would be so grateful for any help!!
    Quote Originally Posted by timh83 View Post
    So, last night I wanted to try Preware. So, I connected my Pre to the computer and opened up Quick Install as I have done many times before, for installing homebrew apps. After Preware installed, I hit the on button (because I had been away from it for awhile and the screen had gone to sleep), the screen came on for just a second, then turned off and then showed the "Palm" logo. I waited about 10 minutes, and the Palm logo still hadn't started doing it's little animation flashy-thing like it does when it boots up. So, I pulled the battery, turned it on, and it just sat at the Palm logo again. I let it go for about 10 minutes, and there was still no sign of progress. I repeated this 4 or 5 times. So, then I resorted to the webOS doctor 1.4 and I got to the screen where it says to connect my phone to the computer. Well, as soon as I connect it, the Palm logo comes up, and it just sits there til I pull the battery out, and the "next" button on the webOS doctor application never does become available for me to click. Do any of you have any suggestions on what I might could try in order to try and save my Pre? or is it just bricked!?
    ok remove the battery then put it back in, hold the volume up botton, while holding it connect the usb cable into it the phone, note the other end of the usb cable need to be connected to the computer, that will send the phone into usb mode, its going to show a big sub simbol, then do the webdoctor thing, that should work it worked for me.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks for help on getting my Pre into USB mode! I really appreciate it. However, I webOS doctor-ed my Pre with the method above at around 11:00pm last night. My Pre is still re-booting at 9am this morning. Is it normal for a Pre to take more than 10 hours to re-boot?
    Absolutely not.

Try following this guide - I had very similar problems as you, and doctoring to 1.2 and then to the current OS as per caj2008's steps helped me out.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    GodShapedHole,
    do you happen to have the webOS doctor 1.2 or know where I can get it?
    Update to my problem above:
    I left my Pre connected to the charger all night (about 8 hours) and magically it was on and running again. However, all of my downloaded apps were completely missing! So, I went into the app catalog to start re-downloading them, and I kept getting some error saying, "This app uses <X amount> of space and you currently don't have enough space, please delete some apps and try again." Well, in the info app, it says that I have only used 4.5 Gigs of the 8 Gigs, so I don't know what's up with that. But, I got all of my data backed-up and then tried the webOS Doctor again. It worked (well, finished doing it's thing anyways). But, then when it started rebooting, it stayed at the Palm logo for about 2 hours before it started doing the flashy animation to the logo. And now, 8 hours after that, it's still doing the flashy animation thing on the logo, and doesn't appear to be progressing at all in the booting process. Has anything similar happened to anyone out there? I would be so grateful for any help!!
    For your initial problem with the error saying that you don't have enough space, you need to do a Partial Erase which has now been renamed Erase Apps & Data. You can find this in the Device Info > Reset Options. After you log into your Palm Profile you'll have you apps and space restored to normal.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Thanks for help on getting my Pre into USB mode! I really appreciate it. However, I webOS doctor-ed my Pre with the method above at around 11:00pm last night. My Pre is still re-booting at 9am this morning. Is it normal for a Pre to take more than 10 hours to re-boot?
    did you check to see if you have the latest java app running on your computer?also download the sdk from palm in to your computer and try it again.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Does anyone have a webOS Doctor for Sprint of earlier versions (1.2.1, or 1.3.1, or 1.3.5, or 1.3.5.1), that they would be willing to email me?
    Does anyone have a webOS Doctor for Sprint of earlier versions (1.2.1, or 1.3.1, or 1.3.5, or 1.3.5.1), that they would be willing to email me?
    Sure! Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thank you so much to all those for your help and comments!! My pre is back up and working perfectly!!