Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love Palm and My Pre, but I am a diehard geek and could never recommend the Pre to anyone who trusts me because of all the continued issues. You have to be a techie and a geek to use and love this phone. There... I said it....
    ETUTREO300
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ETUTREO300 View Post
    I love Palm and My Pre, but I am a diehard geek and could never recommend the Pre to anyone who trusts me because of all the continued issues. You have to be a techie and a geek to use and love this phone. There... I said it....
    My wife is the least technical "young" person I have ever met and she loves her Pre. She had an HTC Diamond before her Pre and she wanted to throw the Diamond through the window.

My father in-law is the least technical "old" person I know and he loves his Pre.

They like it because (and I quote) It just works.
    I sold two at work and their was one day of hesitation and now they love their pre.
    My kids are not teckies and they love their Pres, great phone, no issues, really can't relate to what you are saying.
    my mom has it and loves it. She had the worst time when I got her the centro, but loves the pre and has no problem using it. She recently went on a trip and I asked if she was taking her computer to check her email and she said "no, I have everything I need on my phone." In fact the pre has MADE her much more savvy, she is able to use sprint navigation, email, and browser and loves it. This may not seem like much, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything she was doing before (she could barely put in contacts into her "dumb" phones before!)

In fact, I would argue that its better suited for non-techies in many ways! Here's why (based on huge generalizations):

-Most non-techies don't care if there is one dead pixel on the phone...they aren't going to return the phone 20 times until they get one that's perfect.
    -As long as the slider isn't falling off, I doubt most care about a little wobble.
    -A little lag on the OS is acceptable to the average consumer.
    -Most don't care if there are 1 million apps or 20. As long as it has email, texts, and easy web browsing and can make phone calls, they're happy.
    -battery life is quite good if you are mainly using the phone for phone calls, texts and a couple emails. It's the other stuff that kills the battery life (music, web browsing, games, etc).

I'm sure there are more reasons, but those were just the ones off the top of my head. Feel free to add more!

The one group I may not recommend this phone to are blackberry users who are 100% dependent on their blackberry. The ones I know are too dependent on the blackberry OS to switch to anything else! Having said that, I understand there are a lot of blackberry users who have converted and love the pre.
    Last edited by kkumar99; 03/31/2010 at 10:01 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevank View Post
    My wife is the least technical "young" person I have ever met and she loves her Pre. She had an HTC Diamond before her Pre and she wanted to throw the Diamond through the window.

My father in-law is the least technical "old" person I know and he loves his Pre.

They like it because (and I quote) It just works.
    Not all Pres are experiencing the same issues, but my issues are not unique to me. No patches. No Preware. But deleted email accounts, inabilityto re-add email accounts, random dark screen outages, no universal search for contacts... that is enough for me. Enough is enough. I will hold out and know my issues will sort themselves out in updates or resets, and I can deal with that even though I use my Pre for business and not having email or being able to see the screen is a big deal to me. But I could never recommend it for my wife or any friend or colleague lest they hold me responsible for THEIR issues....
    ETUTREO300
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    my mom has it and loves it. She had the worst time when I got her the centro, but loves the pre and has no problem using it. She recently went on a trip and I asked if she was taking her computer to check her email and she said "no, I have everything I need on my phone." In fact the pre has MADE her much more savvy, she is able to use sprint navigation, email, and browser and loves it. This may not seem like much, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything she was doing before (she could barely put in contacts into her "dumb" phones before!)
    Hey.. WHEN it works... it is fantastic. If you are not experiencing issues it is great. The best. But 1.4 killed my Pre as it apparently did many others. Perhaps some combination of the apps I use, my particular phone build... I dunno... But My Pre experience has been ruined... I hope 1.4.1 fixes things. I really do.
    ETUTREO300
    I'm far from being a teckie and I love my pre.. It just works, kinda like deja vu
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Not all Pres are experiencing the same issues, but my issues are not unique to me. No patches. No Preware. But deleted email accounts, inabilityto re-add email accounts, random dark screen outages, no universal search for contacts... that is enough for me. Enough is enough. I will hold out and know my issues will sort themselves out in updates or resets, and I can deal with that even though I use my Pre for business and not having email or being able to see the screen is a big deal to me. But I could never recommend it for my wife or any friend or colleague lest they hold me responsible for THEIR issues....
    I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble but I think weird things happen with all "smart" phones. It would be pretty unfair for them to blame you for their phone issues...
    I love WebOS, but I aint recommending one until the hardware issues are worked out. I'm on my 4th one in less than a year, and I have NEVER had to do that with a phone. Here's to hoping that Palm releases some more solid hardware, otherwise I'll have to bite the bullet and jump ship. I can't exactly afford to spend a couple of hours putting everything back exactly the way I like it multiple times a year!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    It just works, kinda like deja vu
    HA! I see what you did there.
  12.    #12  
    I am pleased to report that after 1.4.1.1 my email accounts have magically returned!!! Universal search now also searches contacts again!!!... yet sloooowllllyyyy.

Hope the intermittent screen blackoutages have stopped.... we will see....
    ETUTREO300
    its not "very" complicated i taught one of the meatheads at the gym i go to how to use his pre plus with patches and everything in maybe 20 minutes and hes not the brightest
    I think this phone is really for
    non techies. My whole family has pres and I am the only techie. They love theirs and I am bored.

All tech issues come to me to
    be fixed.
    I'll be honest, I consider myself to be pretty up to date on phones and such...I have had BB, Treos, Centros, alot of different phones. I love the Pre Plus, I like teh Web OS, I like the email, functionality, and smoothness of teh OS in general.

Now add the 800 MHz kernal patch and this phone flat out rocks....Sure there are little annoyances that I have to deal with but they are far outdone by the patches, apps, preware, and quick install capabilities I have seen so far.

great phone, great community here supporting it.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I'd say the Pre is as simple or complex as you make it. If you want to mod it out of coarse it seems rocky but for people who just us the Pre as is like my wife it works fine.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etutreo300 View Post
    i am pleased to report that after 1.4.1.1 my email accounts have magically returned!!! Universal search now also searches contacts again!!!... Yet sloooowllllyyyy.
    exactly!
    Maybe you're not such a techie or a geek after all if you can't show people how easy and trouble free the Pre is. There... I said it...

P.S do you suggest the Jitterbug to all your friends? Because I haven't seen one smartphone that doesn't have an issue at one time or the other.

I am the least bit technical. However with my pre I have figured out how to install webos, run patches, and as of today turn my phone into a mobile hotspot. (thanks to the guides on the forums, thanks guys) The pre imo is actually a great product for people who want to feel like they know what their doing but don't...like me I love this phone and the mobile hotspot has made me freak out! LOVE IT!
    My girlfriend is the least geeky person you could imagine, and while she doesn't like my Pre all that much, she cannot wait to get her Pixi.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast