Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    Ok, for those of us dummies without patience that removed our patches or used EPR and now get the IPKG errors when trying to reinstall any patches...What should we do?
    Well, if you've uninstalled or EPRed them, and therefore need to manually reinstall them, then you're STILL going to have to wait until those patch authors create a 1.4.1.1 compatible update. Just like the people using AUPT correctly.

Whether your using AUPT correctly, or you've bunged it up and need to reinstall your patches manually, it doesn't matter. You're going to get errors trying to install an old patch that isn't compatible with 1.4.1.1.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    The AUPT process works.

It will allow you to replace old patches with new, 1.4.1.1 compatible patches WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE.

It's not AUPT's fault if some patch developers haven't yet updated their patches to make them compatible. Instead of removing those twelve that didn't work. Just leave them there and try again in a couple of days. If the patches' developers make an updated version, they will work.

xtn
    Wrong. There should NEVER be ipkg errors if AUPT is working properly. After MANUALLY uninstalling the problematic ones, they show up as available, and I am able to install them just fine. IOW, AUPT was not functioning as intended.

For patches that do not have an update, it should probably create the blank patch while reverting back to stock operation. Currently, I don't think that occurs, and instead the patches depend on having somebody actually create the blank patch in the new repository, which led to this problem (patches that do not have a corresponding patch in the new repo would have errors)?
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 04/01/2010 at 10:36 AM.
    AUPT has worked flawlessly for me so far. Just make sure the patch has been modified for 1.4.1.1 before updating. You don't have to install the place holder, just wait until the patch has been updated for compatability.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Wrong. There should NEVER be ipkg errors if AUPT is working properly. After MANUALLY uninstalling the problematic ones, they show up as available, and I am able to install them just fine. IOW, AUPT was not functioning as intended.

For patches that do not have an update, it should probably create the blank patch while reverting back to stock operation. Currently, I don't think that occurs, and instead the patches depend on having somebody actually create the blank patch in the new repository, which led to this problem (patches that do not have a corresponding patch in the new repo would have errors)?
    Have you actually looked in the repo and verified that the placeholder 1.4.1-0 patch files are not there before making such uninformed statements?

-- Rod
    as i posted earlier, i tried installing patches that were modified for 1.4.1.1. I tried installing quite a few, including ones i had not previously used, and even tried using the QuickInstall. None would install. i realized i jumped the gun on this one, running the epr.
    i believe i stated that. what i'm wondering if there are others having this problem and wondering if anyone has suggestions. i am getting ready to uninstall preware and reinstall to see if helps, but doubtful since quickinstall would not work either...
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by bsncj09 View Post
    as i posted earlier, i tried installing patches that were modified for 1.4.1.1. I tried installing quite a few, including ones i had not previously used, and even tried using the QuickInstall. None would install. i realized i jumped the gun on this one, running the epr.
    i believe i stated that. what i'm wondering if there are others having this problem and wondering if anyone has suggestions. i am getting ready to uninstall preware and reinstall to see if helps, but doubtful since quickinstall would not work either...

When I had an identical problem like this before I found that some of the background things needed for preware and QI to work needed to be reinstalled. Had to redo package manager, Diffstat, GNU Patch, Lsdiff....
    Quote Originally Posted by jordo487 View Post
    When I had an identical problem like this before I found that some of the background things needed for preware and QI to work needed to be reinstalled. Had to redo package manager, Diffstat, GNU Patch, Lsdiff....
    Thanks this worked!! I'm Happy again!
    Last edited by Technologic 2; 04/01/2010 at 06:33 PM.
    why are putting 1.4.1.1 in their title that's incorrect lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    AUPT worked flawlessly!! aeverything updated, no errors, and no wories!!
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Actually, there a quite a few circumstances under which AUPT wil return an ipkg error (which is just an indication that you should look in the ipkg log to see what the actual problem is):

1) trying to install a placeholder package
    2) trying to install a patch that conflicts with another patch
    3) trying to remove a patch upon which something else depends
    4) trying to install or remove a patch when you've modifed the patched files via some other non-AUPT method

There are probably a number of other cases too.

An ipkg error is often an indication that AUPT is doing it's job perfectly, because it is stopping you making irreversible modifications that would eventually require manual fixing.

The most probable cause of your particular issue is probably trying to update your patches before the 1.4.1 feed was ready. You should wait for the word on twitter from @webosinternals before trying to update if you want a flawless experience.

-- Rod
    WOQI repaired all of mine just fine yesterday.
    When I got the 1.4 update, AUPT worked perfectly. However, 1.4.1.1 deleted all of my patches. I waited until the updated patches were available and then checked again. No luck. The patches were completely gone.

Not a big deal. I just reinstalled the patches manually.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    before any update I run EPR to uninstall all patches, havent had a problem yet, yes I do have to install patches again but its not a big deal
    I've used webOS OI since I got my pre back in July 2009 to install patches. I always uninstall the patches prior to an update. This past Sunday, I turned my pre on and there was an update of 1.4.1.1 waiting. I ran EPR from QI to remove patches. Then I updated. Now I cannot install Select Alerts and Notifications for Contacts. When I try to install the patch through QI, I get the error that patch failed to install when trying to run /tmp/ipkgScript.sh. The notification, alert, and messages under the System Sounds of the Sounds & Ringstones icon are still there but I cannot assign any tones to those three selections. I've run EPR 3 times and those are still there. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks to all of you that work on these problems.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234