Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I am coming to end of my 30 day trial period at vzw. I really like the plus but REALLY hate paying so much for vzw. I am thinking about switching to sprint. No coverage problems in my area. I know plus is better phone but is it worth the extra 40 dolars a month difference between Sprint and vzw.

thanks for the info
    IMHO no its only worth maybe 10-15 more and thats if you really want the extra 8 gigs
    To me no. Only thing the plus has is more memory. That my thought.
    The PLUS has double the memory AND twice the RAM, right?

You can easily decide yourself if the extra 8Gb memory is a heavy need (for you), but IMO everyone would benefit from the 2x RAM
    Do you have a Sprint Pre already? If not, I think it's cheaper to buy one on e-bay so you don't have to sign a lengthy contract with Sprint. That way when Palm comes out with a new awesomer phone on Sprint you can jump on board easily. :P
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I left Verizon and went to Sprint when the Pre first launched. I was looking for more value in my cell phone plan and I think I found that at Sprint. I personally don't think the Plus is worth the extra cost.
    My opinion is no. I just got my Sprint Pre a month ago and love it, and since it's a later batch than the early adopters I don't have any problems with it aside from the "too many cards" error now and then you won't get on the Plus...but that's also resolved with the right patches, like overclocking, among others. Also less storage, but I'm not even near my max. On Sprint you also get the insurance for a few extra bucks, free mobile to mobile anytime no matter what network, and the rest I'm sure you've researched already.

Is that worth saving $40 a month? To me, yep!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigjenh View Post
    I am coming to end of my 30 day trial period at vzw. I really like the plus but REALLY hate paying so much for vzw. I am thinking about switching to sprint. No coverage problems in my area. I know plus is better phone but is it worth the extra 40 dolars a month difference between Sprint and vzw.

thanks for the info
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much RAM.

Other than that, I have the Plus because I am only willing to use Verizon based on my job needs. I had to wait a loooooong time, and I came close to switching to Sprint just so I could get the Pre sooner. The thing that stopped me is that Sprint didn't allow tethering - which is a requirement for my work. I didn't discover any of the 3rd party "tethering" solutions until recently, so I don't know if I could have moved to Sprint or not. But, based on network coverage and such, I waited with my Centro for a loooong time.

If it wasn't for the requirement to stay on Verizon and the need for tethering, I would have no problem moving to the Pre and Sprint.

In playing with them both, I think the Pre Plus is a bit better for typing (although my fat fingers don't like either one as much as a Centro or Treo...)

That said, the extra memory may provide an advantage as the PDK enables more advanced apps and features that eat memory. But, you might also wait for the "next" Palm phones to come out (no idea when) to see if the next-generation WebOS hardware (Note to Palm, give it a better name than Pre-anything or Plus-anything...) is better for your needs.

That way you aren't in a 2-year Verizon contract if they come out with something amazing.

If I can wait all that time for the Pre to come to Verizon, you can probably consider waiting awhile to see what develops.

IMHO
    What on vzw you got to pay for..
    Minutes
    Unlimited Text Messaging
    Unlimited Data
    Navigation
    TV
    Plus Insurance
    Plus if you want your minutes to start after 7

= Way more than my under $80 Sprint Bill for eveyrthing.
    Being an ex Verizon user my answer is a definte NO. Where I live and work Sprint's coverage is excellent (CA, AZ and NV) and even though I have over 1000 songs and many photos on my Pre, I still have 3.4 gigs of storage left.
    One of the best things about being on Sprint is that if for any reason you don't have Sprint reception, you will roam to "V" for phone service and it does not cost anymore. I love roaming and knowing that I am using "V" and paying less then their own customers. LOL
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!

thanks for the info
    you said you have no problem with coverage so i would go with sprint.
    to me its always should be the provider then the phone.
    for me sprint is great in my area and cheap so its a no brainier for me.
    Last edited by Warblad13; 03/31/2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info. The kicker may be that my wife just told me that I can get an additional discount with Sprint through her job. So looks like I am going for it.

Another question. Anyone have any problems with VZW and their 30 day guarantee. Should I sign up with sprint first and then go to VZW or vice versa? I obviously want to keep my number and want to make sure it does not get lost in the shuffle.

Again thanks for the info
    When I left Verizon, I had just purchased a new phone from Verizon for my daughter, after using the Pre for a week I decided to switch her over to a Pre too and had no problem cancelling within the 30 days with Verizon, only thing is, you probably will have to pay a 35 dollar restocking fee but you will get that back the 1st month with Sprint from the savings over Verizon.

thanks for the info
    Not worth it. Go to sprint. I came from ATT primarily for the cost savings, but having such a fun and open device to play with was a bonus. And I paid the full $150 for it.

The only thing that sprint may bite you in the rear with is that they still charge per minute to forward calls to another line (used to do that with my vonage line ... boy was that first bill a shocker!!!). Other carriers do not charge for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When I left Verizon, I had just purchased a new phone from Verizon for my daughter, after using the Pre for a week I decided to switch her over to a Pre too and had no problem cancelling within the 30 days with Verizon, only thing is, you probably will have to pay a 35 dollar restocking fee but you will get that back the 1st month with Sprint from the savings over Verizon.
    You didn't/don't have to pay the restocking if you've had the phone for more than 3 days.
    I've been with Sprint for a long time, and I've almost always been very happy with them. The thing that seems significant to me is that that $40/month adds up to quite a bit of money after a couple of years.

I think I've got a "post first batch" Pre also, as I've had no trouble with it. I don't know how Vzn's warranty/service plans work, but Sprints comprehensive plan for $7/month is pretty good IMO.

I've heard so much about Vzn being customer unfriendly, but at Sprint I've had such good service. The guys at the store were nice, the phone people are nice. And they gave me an extra $20/month off my plan when I threatened to jump to Verizon
    ??? per month? Given the doubled memory as the most prominent differnce, which is really nice, I'd say it's worth 40 bucks more in total but not per month.