1.    #1  
    bhack and I got together to try Ampache Server's remote host catalog option.

It works great using Ampache Mobile. Setting up this option allowed bhack to play both all his music on his server and all my music on my server from his Palm Pre. He is now able to access over 23,000 songs on his phone.

Notes:
    - Ampache Mobile is a free program to access an Ampache Music Server. See the thread Ampache Mobile for more information.
    - Should work with the other free program AmpachePre too. See the thread AmpachePre for more information (Does anyone know how to edit a title...I would like to add this)
    - master server = the Ampache Server with the music files to share. In this test, this is my server.
    - remote server = the Ampache Server that wants to access the music files remotely. In this test, this is bhack's server
    - an Ampache server can be both a master and a remote server.

Process (once you have Ampache Mobile working with your Ampache Server):
    - you need to add a "key" to the "API/RPC" Access Control Record on master server. This doesn't seem to affect Ampache Mobile on my pre: I could still access my server.
    - you need to enable xml_rpc in the ampache.cfg.php file on the master server (xml_rpc="true")
    - you need to add a new catalog on the remote server using :
    - the same URL that you use to access the master server in Ampache Mobile. (I use "http://mymusicserver.dyndns.org:8080" to access my server from my Palm Pre. I gave this to bhack).
    (I think you will really want to use a Dynamic DNS name above for the URL rather than an IP address. Why: the remote server stores the URL for the song's location in the catalog. If the IP address changes, the catalog has to be removed. If you use a Dynamic DNS name, it doesn't break anything)
    - Catalog Type = "Remote"
    - the key you added to the "API/RPC" Access Control Record above
    - If you are using Apache 3.5.4 server, I think you need to do the following: Change line 36 in play/index.php from:
    Code:
         $sid            = scrub_in($_REQUEST['ssid']);
    to
    Code:
          $sid            = empty($_REQUEST['ssid']) ? scrub_in($_REQUEST['sid']) : scrub_in($_REQUEST['ssid']);
    Why: it looks like we found a Ampache Server bug. Local song request use "ssid" in the URL while remote request via xml_rpc use "sid" in the URL

Once you add the catalog, the remote server will add all the songs from the master server onto the remote server's catalog. This may take some time depending on the number of songs in the master catalog and the speed of the Internet connection. The remote server's MySQL DB will grow, but it will not add any music files to the remote server's file system.

We tested and bhack was able to both stream music that was stored on my Ampache server to his laptop and his Pre (using Ampache Mobile) while connected to his Ampache Server.

More Notes:
    - On my server, bhack showed up as "ampache user" in the "now playing list"
    - bhack was able to download songs from my server even though he was clicking on the "disk" download icon on his server
    - you may end up with a lot of duplicates if both servers have the same songs. We are thinking about writing a script to automatically "disable" all the duplicate songs on the remote server that are stored on the master server.
    - you cannot access playlist that are created on the master server from the remote server.
    - it looks like you can only share "local" catalogs (which is good). Example: if I have both a local and a remote catalog (from Bob) and I set up catalog sharing with John. John can only see my local catalog: he cannot see Bob's catalog.
    - it looks like Ampache uses the key for both initial catalog setup and authentication for each song played (this is good). example: if you set up a remote catalog, and test it with one password and everything works. If you now change the password, you can still see the songs, but you cannot play them.
    - if you want to gather the album art for all the songs you just added via a remote catalog, do this (Note : I think you want to use this method for remote catalogs only...for local catalogs, you WANT to look in the "db,id3,folder" first ):

- in the ampache.cfg.php file, change the line :
    Code:
    album_art_order = "db,id3,folder,lastfm"
    to
    Code:
    album_art_order = "lastfm"
    - on the catalog screen, click on the "Gather Art" link for the catalog you just added
    - when it is done, change the amapche.cfg.php file back to:
    Code:
    album_art_order = "db,id3,folder,lastfm"
    why: looking at the log files, it looks like the Ampache server keeps trying to find the album art on the remote server, but it keeps generating errors. It finally tries lastfm where it seems to find it. It does this for each song.

=============

I think this is a REALLY cool feature that the Ampache server offers and Ampache Mobile supports. You could have access to a HUGE collection of music from your Palm Pre. Imagine a large web of Ampache servers....

Links:
    Last edited by wilderf; 04/02/2010 at 07:05 PM.
    Sweet... hows the performance with such a big library?
    Ampache Mobile allows you to stream all YOUR music and videos from your computer to your phone.

Please take a look a these Common Issues before posting to the Ampache Mobile thread.
    That's pretty amazing!

Now...what legal matters need to be addressed?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    That's pretty amazing!

Now...what legal matters need to be addressed?
    hmm...good question.

I think I am allowed to lend some one a CD...right???

What are the rules on lending someone a "streamed audio feed of a song"?

You can always turn on "Lock Songs" in the Web Interface Configuration Options-System area. From the Ampache Docs:

When enabled this prevents any two users from listening to the exact same song at the exact same time. This is a quasi legalize feature meant to simulate a shared pile of CD's in an office. Default is off
    F
    Last edited by wilderf; 03/31/2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjgeiser View Post
    Sweet... hows the performance with such a big library?
    I've only tried it on wifi so far but it does take a bit longer to load the artists list. Search is going to be your friend in these situations.
    Another success story! wilderf and myself were able to exchange server info and link up our servers. I haven't noticed any significant decrease in performance. The only feature that I have yet to find (if available) is to view each catalog separately. I haven't looked too hard though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabninja View Post
    Another success story! wilderf and myself were able to exchange server info and link up our servers. I haven't noticed any significant decrease in performance. The only feature that I have yet to find (if available) is to view each catalog separately. I haven't looked too hard though.
    I agree, that would be a cool function.
    help!
    Okay so I have setup my ampache music server and sucessfully connected my palm pre plus to it via ampache mobile. I am left with just a few issues.

1) When I go to add my music catalog i get this error "Error: (file path) is not readable or does not exist"
    2)And what do i need to do to stream my music over the EVDO network?

Thanks a bunch guys!

EDIT: Also its important to mention that when I add a catalog i am using my local file path on my hard drive.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by theabstract7 View Post
    help!
    Okay so I have setup my ampache music server and sucessfully connected my palm pre plus to it via ampache mobile. I am left with just a few issues.

1) When I go to add my music catalog i get this error "Error: (file path) is not readable or does not exist"
    2)And what do i need to do to stream my music over the EVDO network?

Thanks a bunch guys!

EDIT: Also its important to mention that when I add a catalog i am using my local file path on my hard drive.
    Check out the thread http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1851919. You should find your answers there. If not, it's a better place to put questions like this.
    I have roughly about 5000 songs now with ampache mobile. That is a good idea sharing catalogs