Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48
  1.    #1  
    I don't get it, so i have to tell you to get some insight...

    My Pre (non +) used to drain the battery rather fast. About 7%/hour when idle and much more when in use. From the forum posts i learned that it should be 4-5%/hour when idle (right?)

    But after i installed the 800 MHz patch i noticed a much better battery performance. Yesterday i showed a friend the tethering capabilities (MyTether) of my Pre. He's an iphone user and was quite impressed, needless to say.

    After that i put the Pre away and forgot about it. About 3 hours later the Pre noticed me that battery was empty - only then i remembered that i didn't turn off tethering.

    The Pre was at about 80% when i enabled it and lasted another 3 hours. I was used to about 2 hours with fresh batteries.

    So today i started battery monitor and put the Pre away to idle around. I only used it occasionally for 2 short calls, a few contact searches and a preware search.

    Now look at attached screenshot: 77% when i started battery monitor, 67% 7 hours later, about 1.5% drain/hour. These are actual data from today, nothing photoshopped.

    It was on 3G for the first about 2 hours, then WLAN.

    What gives? That's an unbelievable improvement and i just don't get it. From way too much power consumption to 1.5%.

    Oh, and it really uses 800 MHz:

    palm-webos-device / # cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 796.91


    Any ideas?

    -Walter (currently very happy with his Pre)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. tlower's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #2  
    You've only been monitoring it for 7hrs. Give it more time, will be a little more accurate. Mine does the same thing, but in the end it averages about 6-7%
  3.    #3  
    Too late. Right now i'm removing the 800 MHz patch because of the 1.4.1 release.

    But i'll keep monitoring for sure.

    -Walter
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    Too late. Right now i'm removing the 800 MHz patch because of the 1.4.1 release.

    But i'll keep monitoring for sure.

    -Walter
    1.4.1 release? when?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    1.4.1 release? when?
    rumor has it very soon...


    Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  6. #6  
    id rather wait
    i like it lol
  7. #7  
    is the patch 800hz easy to install ???? is it via pre ware? where are the directions
  8. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #8  
    My Pre idles at less than 1.5%/hr and has done so since 1.3.5.
    800Mhz patch didn't hurt that, and I can still get 60+ hours on standby
    with two polling email accounts.
    With light but steady usage throughout the day I usually come up
    to about 3-4%/hr average drain.
    Games or streaming blow that out of the water of course.

    ian
  9. #9  
    I've noticed a very slight increase in the battery drain with the 800Mhz patch, but the increased speed is WELL worth it. I am however experiencing an issue when it gets down to around 10% - 12%. Suddenly the battery will shoot to 0% and I'll get the alert from my phone. A couple mins later and it shuts off. Not sure what the issue is, but it's happened a few times now.
    Still not nearly enough to make me jump off the patch. Amazing performance compared to my pre of old!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  10. #10  
    same with me but i noticed it had happened at 5 percent with me... but next time it got to around 10% i turned the data usage off and it didn't jump to 0%... only tried it once tho
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by boredgoogle View Post
    same with me but i noticed it had happened at 5 percent with me... but next time it got to around 10% i turned the data usage off and it didn't jump to 0%... only tried it once tho
    It seems to happen when I open a card at around the 10% to 12% range. A few seconds after it's open the battery nosedives and hits zero.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    is the patch 800hz easy to install ???? is it via pre ware? where are the directions
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. you are going to have to wait, the developers of the patch have pulled the patch and have requested for others not to share the .sh file because they are going from .sh to ikg if i'm correct. that plus there is an update coming out soon for 1.4 and you must remove the patch before installing update.

    i uninstalled mine today, it worked like a charm.


    Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. you are going to have to wait, the developers of the patch have pulled the patch and have requested for others not to share the .sh file because they are going from .sh to ikg if i'm correct. that plus there is an update coming out soon for 1.4 and you must remove the patch before installing update.

    i uninstalled mine today, it worked like a charm.
    thanks buddy

    any idea where to check when the patch will be back up and running ???
    and where to look for the updates when it will be avail ?
  14. #14  
    I'm not removing until I know it works with 1.4.1 - I love the increase in performance too much, it would be like going from the ferrari to a yugo.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    I don't get it, so i have to tell you to get some insight...

    My Pre (non +) used to drain the battery rather fast. About 7%/hour when idle and much more when in use. From the forum posts i learned that it should be 4-5%/hour when idle (right?)

    But after i installed the 800 MHz patch i noticed a much better battery performance. Yesterday i showed a friend the tethering capabilities (MyTether) of my Pre. He's an iphone user and was quite impressed, needless to say.

    After that i put the Pre away and forgot about it. About 3 hours later the Pre noticed me that battery was empty - only then i remembered that i didn't turn off tethering.

    The Pre was at about 80% when i enabled it and lasted another 3 hours. I was used to about 2 hours with fresh batteries.

    So today i started battery monitor and put the Pre away to idle around. I only used it occasionally for 2 short calls, a few contact searches and a preware search.

    Now look at attached screenshot: 77% when i started battery monitor, 67% 7 hours later, about 1.5% drain/hour. These are actual data from today, nothing photoshopped.

    It was on 3G for the first about 2 hours, then WLAN.

    What gives? That's an unbelievable improvement and i just don't get it. From way too much power consumption to 1.5%.

    Oh, and it really uses 800 MHz:

    palm-webos-device / # cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 796.91


    Any ideas?

    -Walter (currently very happy with his Pre)
    do a cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state to see if it is running at 800 the whole time
  16. #16  
    I too seem to be getting slightly better battery usage from the patch and I did check my phone when I installed the patch and I was running at 800 all the time.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
  17. #17  
    I'll chime in here and say my battery life is much worse at 800MHz. I think 1.4 killed my Pre when it's running on EVDO-only. Then, I'm >10%/hour idle around 20%/hour under use. If I stream, it'll jump to 30%/hour.

    At 500MHz, it's closer to 5%/hour idle, 10%/hour under load, and 20%/hour streaming. Note that if I'm on WiFi, you can cut those numbers in half across the board.

    Needless to say: grrr. I'm hopeful that 1.4.1 fixes things up, at least back to where 1.3.5.1 was at.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by capneedle View Post
    I'm not removing until I know it works with 1.4.1 - I love the increase in performance too much, it would be like going from the ferrari to a yugo.
    not recommended when the developers are telling you to remove it i would take their recommendation seriously... and it appears 1.4.1 is rolling out today....

    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    thanks buddy

    any idea where to check when the patch will be back up and running ???
    and where to look for the updates when it will be avail ?
    i'm not sure yet, i'm sure it will be on the first page once they do come out w/ the new version. do a search for overlock, it should be the first thread, see what forum it was created in, i can't remember, but that's probably wher ethe announcement will be.


    Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  19.    #19  
    Funny.

    Now, again with the stock 500/600 MHz kernel i'm idling at 5%/hr again...

    Really folks - i didn't make this up and i don't understand it either.

    I'm 42, majored in computer science and the the first Linux kernel i ran was 0.95 - so i think i know a bit about "computers 'n stuff".

    And as i said: i don't understand what's going on either. Just wanted to share...

    -Walter
  20. #20  
    It's not credible that increasing the clock speed of your CPU has vastly improved your battery life.

    More likely is that the battery monitor is not calibrated properly and will correct out over several days, or that your usage patterns have changed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions