Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This could be made even simpler by having the example script already in a .sh file...

So that people can just use Terminal/Terminus to:

• cd /etc/event.d
    • wget someserver.com/files/start/here/scaling.sh
    • chmod +x ????

Much easier, IMHO.
    I didn't need to run the chmod command, a reboot was enough for the scaling to commence.

That being said, my Pre used to be rock solid, with about one luna crash per month or so. I've installed this script less than twelve hours ago, and it's already crashed twice - once while putting it on the touchstone yesterday night (CET here...), the screen just flickered and stayed black with full backlight, requiring a battery pull, and once just now, while sliding my phone shut. People have been reporting phones powering down as a result of hearty sliding action, but it's never happened to me before in half a year with this phone.

I'll just keep trying it out for a while I think - the next time it boots down, i'm deleting the file. The weirdest thing about the Pre is how different it acts at different times, and how different peoples' experiences are. What works on one Pre doesn't always work on the other, and something that worked well the other day doesn't necessarily work well today. Like, sometimes my Pre gets hot, >40, while just idling (no profile backups in the background or anything), sometimes it gets hot while on the touchstone, and on other days, I have it on the touchstone and am playing The Sims but it doesn't rise past 37. It doesn't make sense unless our phones are actually sentient and just haven't found a way to communicate with us...
    I can't seem to get the phone scaling properly...

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state yeilds:

root@palm-webos-device: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    800000 1624
    720000 5006771
    600000 0
    550000 0
    500000 1297
    250000 0
    125000 0
    It spent all day at 720. Is it because I only have the 720 patch and not the 800 one?
    bumping for solution
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state yeilds:

It spent all day at 720. Is it because I only have the 720 patch and not the 800 one?
    YES
    I am trying to scale correctly with the CPU UberScaler app, which has an option to make setting stick, but it's not saving them either.

Persistance!!! or should I say..Presistance
    Still would love to get this working.
  7.    #27  
    gamah--do you have the cpu scaler app installed? If yes, Ultimate or normal?

Just wondering. I have it isntalled, and I cant get either it or my script to stick. So I wonder if they are conflicting.
    Beware: If you're using this and (like me) want to get rid of it, the webOSQI "delete file/directory" option might not work. It didn't for me. I tried it three or four times, didn't get any error messages, but the file was still there and could be 'received' by QI.

So what I did was use novaterm, "cd /etc/event.d", and "rm (filename).sh" to delete it. Since, weirdly enough, dir didn't seem to work in novaterm, I tried to 'receive' the file using webOSQI, which then didn't work anymore because it's really gone. I had to use novaterm because the linux terminal in QI didn't even accept my cd command.

Now everything is fine again. Thanks for the info in this thread, but it's created more problems than it solved for me.
    I do not have the scaling appp. I was hoping this script would be a one-time solutuion forr scaling
  10.    #30  
    still researching
    I spent 4.99 and supported the creator of this great patch
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    *cough*RTFM*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    2) In this file, place the commands below. Replace the numbers on the first 2 lines with those of your choosing. Some phones freeze at 125, so set it to 250000. At the top line, use 600, 720, or 800. Just remember that you need to have the patch installed to match that number.
    That's the very first post. The one you should technically have read since you did everything else. Seriously, threads like these should have disclaimers like "if you don't know what you're doing, and can't follow instructions, or can't be bothered reading every word of them, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU. Wait until it's somehow been packaged for Preware. If you do need it now, stop diagonal-reading, this isn't cliffnotes, it's instructions."

To recap: put the script detailed in the first post into your /etc/event.d/ directory, reboot, and it should work if the script you actually sent there fits your Pre setup. If you just copy/paste the example given in the OP, it mightn't work as well as you want it to, unless you're on the 800 kernel and want it to scale down to 250. Seriously people, reading doesn't hurt as much as you think it does. And while following instructions and learning about computers might make you nerdy, nobody has to know that you're a nerd, you can always tell people "Lolz i haev no idea how dis ting workz cus i'm not a geek ^^" and they will believe you.
  13.    #33  
    number1pete's app, CPU Scaler Ultimate, is an amazing app that lets you set most of the parameters for scaling. Like I said, most. It only lets you dictate the scaling speed, and that the governor should be ondemand. It does not let you tweak the parameters mentioned towards the bottom of my script: powersave_bias, sampling rate, and another one.

According to num1pete, if powersave_bias is a 0, you will scale down to 125 REGARDLESS of any other parameters you may have. That is my struggle at the moment. My script is obviously executed at bootup, but for some reason, the echo > 1 ... powersave_bias line is not executing, despite appearing twice in my script.

Yes, it's a great app, and I think it is in Preware, but it doesnt give you full control.

I agree wholeheartedly and profusely with godhole's post. All of us here are more than eager to help, but sometimes the questions posted give us a clear indication that people dont read, and (more importantly) dont reason or use logic. Experimenting with the Pre requirs patience, reading skills, and a little bit of deductive logic. If's are always followed by a then.

While we none of us want to discourage questions, be kind and think about it before we ask it.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    nabril15, thanks for posting this. After installing the 720MHz kernel, I tested that and found it stable. Adding number1pete's scaler wasn't the best, as I had some lockups and freezes when running the 250-720 scaling option. I was stable with 600 or 720 MHz (no scaling setback).

So using your script lines, I've just entered the line commands via WebOSQI to test out some settings (and eliminate them via reboot if necessary), and seem to be running well with a 500-720 scaling setup after two days. I'll test it longer before making the changes stick with the script file.

I agree with your posts and with the sentiment of GodShapedHole. I don't program, but am willing to read the posts (especially the first one) and take on what I think I can do, but will not go over my head. I haven't had any problems with my Pre except for some stubborn patches, and eventually solved those issues with individual file replacements from the doctor file. Normally you guys/gals take the time to spell it out clearly enough for even us 50+ y.o. to follow along

With my 36 patches, and 40-50 homebrew and Palm catalog apps, my Pre is extremely useful tool, and fun to use. The homebrew apps and patches are all from this great community (and webos internals), to which I say a hearty "thanks!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    *cough*RTFM*cough*

That's the very first post. The one you should technically have read since you did everything else. Seriously, threads like these should have disclaimers like "if you don't know what you're doing, and can't follow instructions, or can't be bothered reading every word of them, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU. Wait until it's somehow been packaged for Preware. If you do need it now, stop diagonal-reading, this isn't cliffnotes, it's instructions."

To recap: put the script detailed in the first post into your /etc/event.d/ directory, reboot, and it should work if the script you actually sent there fits your Pre setup. If you just copy/paste the example given in the OP, it mightn't work as well as you want it to, unless you're on the 800 kernel and want it to scale down to 250. Seriously people, reading doesn't hurt as much as you think it does. And while following instructions and learning about computers might make you nerdy, nobody has to know that you're a nerd, you can always tell people "Lolz i haev no idea how dis ting workz cus i'm not a geek ^^" and they will believe you.
    no need for personal attacks, I read the post..... It was my understanding that the script enabled scaling in the linux OS so it didn't matter if I had the 800 or the 720 kernel. I would love to RTFM, but there isn't one. I have edited the script to match the speed of my kernel, placed it in the proper directory, and rebooted my phone and it still isn't working. So naturally I come back to the thread for more input and suggestions.
  16.    #36  
    a theory. whenever we edit files on a phone, we end our work by making the files read only when we type sudo mount -o remount, ro /.
    Is it possible that the script is trying to write to files, but it cannot b/c they are read only?

I will change the attribute of the one giving me trouble, powersave_bias, and reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Since, weirdly enough, dir didn't seem to work in novaterm
    dude. it's linux. try ls to list and cd to change directory. use cd .. to return one level, or cd ../.. to return 2 levels, etc. or cd to an absoluted directory address, like: cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
    Last edited by cantstopengland; 04/23/2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added quote
    Gamah, I ran into the same problem too, where my phone defaulted to 720. The problem is that the original overclocking kernel which unixpsycho developed and caj2008 packaged affected other files that were still on the phone, even after I installed the uber kernel.

Rod from WebOS-Internals gave me this advice:
    You should check to make sure that /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr is back to factory condition (check the md5sum against the value in the /md5sums file on the device). You will also need to restore the /etc/event.d/PmNetConfigManager file back to factory condition (again, check the md5sum of the file to be sure).
    Last edited by cantstopengland; 04/23/2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: clarified adressee
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    # Enables cpu scaling

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

script
    echo "800000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo "250000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias
    end script
    I don't have the files up_threshold or powersave_bias, or the directory ondemand. do i just create those and the system knows what to do?
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopengland View Post
    I don't have the files up_threshold or powersave_bias, or the directory ondemand. do i just create those and the system knows what to do?
    hit refresh on your screen. I had that happen to me this morning and I panicked. Hit refresh (in winscp or ssh) and they appeared.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast