Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. one
    Hi,

I miss a way to move the cursor within a text (note, mail, sms .... etc) without tapping on the screen with the finger.
    What I spontaneously miss are the keyboard arrow keys (up, down, left, right).. but I would accept any other way but the "tap on the screen".

1. tapping on the screen while typing with the keyboard is extremely unergonomic.
    2. The tapping on the screen is not enough precise to be able for example to jump exactly on one wrong character and delete only that character
    3. EXTREMELY BAD: while writing an sms you have a split screen: in the upper part there are the old messages, in the lower part there is the message you are writing.
      The longer is the text you enter, the bigger gets "the new text part" on the screen.
      Suppose the message you write is "so" long that it would occupy more than the half of the screen. In this case the beginning of your text slides below the "old sms" part (BAD!).
      Suppose now you want to read again what you have wrote at the beginning of the sms or correct something at the beginning of the sms: there is no way to reach that hidden part of the message by tapping on the screen!!!!

Do you have a solution for all those things? Ideas?
    Orange and drag.

Palm apparently needs to make this more obvious, maybe in the first-use tutorial or something, because it gets asked practically once a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Orange and drag.

Palm apparently needs to make this more obvious, maybe in the first-use tutorial or something, because it gets asked practically once a week.
    Or they could add a small d-pad where the "home" button is. I really miss my d-pad from my htc touch, it made touching the screen pretty much 100% optional, which is nice at times (pic):
    There's very few things I'd like implemented the way Apple does thing, but Apple nailed copy/paste and how you can precisely drag the arrow between text. It's quite nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Or they could add a small d-pad where the "home" button is. I really miss my d-pad from my htc touch, it made touching the screen pretty much 100% optional, which is nice at times
    Yes, but that'd require new hardware. There's already a solution for it (whether that's preferable or not is up to each individual user though) with the current hardware that almost nobody is aware of, which is a problem for Palm. Like I said, they should teach that during the first-use app. They already teach the back gesture, some basic text navigation wouldn't be that much out of place if worked in there properly.
  6. one
    @jhoff80 thanks! it works! ... anyway I find it extremely unergonomic.

I find that a keyboard key combination would be a much better solution.
    Something like the "orange key + "the vi keys"" = move around

• orange + "h" --> move left one character
    • orange + "j" --> move down one line
    • orange + "k" --> move up
    • orange + "l" --> move right

this would be software and in my opinion easy to implement.

Since it seems you know the tricks, I have another question:

As example say you write a text and you want to input an "", with the "symb" key you enter in the "symbols pad".
    If, with the "symbols pad" open, you hit on the keyboard the "u" you jump in the "u" section of the "symbols pad".
    By hitting on the keyboard the "u" again. you "move" in the "u" section of the "symbols pad" within the different "u" types.
    Now suppose you have found the "u" you like (the "") is there a way to accept this letter from the keyboard? (obviously you can tap on the highlighted letter, but again is very unergonomic)
    Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Since it seems you know the tricks, I have another question:

As example say you write a text and you want to input an "", with the "symb" key you enter in the "symbols pad".
    If, with the "symbols pad" open, you hit on the keyboard the "u" you jump in the "u" section of the "symbols pad".
    By hitting on the keyboard the "u" again. you "move" in the "u" section of the "symbols pad" within the different "u" types.
    Now suppose you have found the "u" you like (the "") is there a way to accept this letter from the keyboard? (obviously you can tap on the highlighted letter, but again is very unergonomic)
    Hitting the enter key or the Sym key a second time takes care of that. Unfortunately, the symbol usage isn't quite as good on PalmOS (Garnet). On that, you could have the symbol you want to use highlighted and then when you typed the next letter, it'd enter in that symbol and then the next letter. This adds an extra key to the mix, so it's slightly less efficient, but it does work.
  8. one
    @jhoff80 thanks!

Hitting the enter key or the Sym key a second time takes care of that
    this works

you could have the symbol you want to use highlighted and then when you typed the next letter, it'd enter in that symbol and then the next letter.
    this not really .. but it does not matter the first trick is enough!
    d-pad or trackpad would still be much more efficient, and it's a shame they dropped it on the Pre for a fairly useless button. The Moment has a trackpad and 4 way buttons on the keyboard. The new Evo coming out has directional arrows on the onscreen keyboard, and the Hero has the trackball. Losing a dedicated method of navigation is a flaw in moat of these new touchscreen based phones.

it's a PITA to have to zoom in to get to the right selection point and then lose all the real estate you had to see what you were doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hitting the enter key or the Sym key a second time takes care of that.
    You can also keep the Sym key depressed while taping on the "u". When you release the Sym key, the correct symbol will be inserted.
    Or we can all get an EVO which got the little arrows on the keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    this not really .. but it does not matter the first trick is enough!
    Yeah, the second way was how it used to work on older Palm devices. Like I said, they made it just a little less efficient, though I didn't know you can hold the Sym button and release when you've picked the one you wanted.

Honestly, 99% of the time the symbols I need are already on the keys in the first place, so it's not really a big deal for me though.
    I also want to be able to use this in the browser when my fat *** fingers can't get to the link i want, there should be a tab button or something to go down the page and press enter on the link, text field i want.

H(left) U (up) N (down) K (right)
  14. one
    living in Germany ( ) makes the extra characters and the sym key rather fundamental!
    It looks like there are two different ideas being talked about here.

1: how to add arrow characters to what ever is being 'typed'.
    2: how to move the on-screen cursor around withing the text that has been typed into a text entry area, such as a note or address box.

I've been looking at the different threads at this forum trying to find how to do the latter, because I find it very hard to move the cursor to the beginning or anywhere in middle of something I've typed in order to make corrections or to highlight it so that I can copy it. Can someone please point me to how this can be done?
    you need to enlarge the text box so it's easy to select your placement. orange or white key, press and hold and slide along the text to move the cursor. pressand hold the shift key and slide your finger over the text you want to select.

cursor keys would be easier. A d-pad or optical track pad in the center of the gesture area would be the easiest yet. but that makes too much sense, so it'll never happen.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Maybe in future they can assign four keys in the corner for arrows, just press shift and those keys would become arrows. They arent using backspace and enter for anything right now anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    trackpad
    No.
    Any devs here that can map some key-combos to be used as arrows???
    > "You need to enlarge..."

Thanks.

I tried to zoom the text using the same gesture that works on the web-browser, but it only scrolled the text up and down in the standard 'sticky' notepad app that comes with the phone, so your suggested work-around appears to only work for some text areas, but not for all of them.

In an attempt to put a finer point on my cursor placement, I tried to use the stylus from my old smart phone, but it didn't work at all. Is there a stylus-like pointer that will work with the capacitance touch-screen used by the Plam Pre Plus -- my finger nails aren't long enough and my finger tips are just too big to place the cursor where I sometimes need it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast