1.    #1  
    I keep seeing people get all excited about the pre plus or pre2 coming to Sprint...and I LOVE the pre but after all this new cool stuff i want totally new hardware man, the OS rocks but they need new hardware, taking the ball away and adding ram and what not is not new hardware to me...the need to bigger screen, n basically take from HTC's book but keep the awesome keyboard n its a winner
    Don't get your hopes up, it's been nothing more than pure speculation and rumors ignited by people on these forums. There's the phantom C40 that's been thrown around on paper for months now, but absolutely nothing known about it. Do remember that Palm has a ton of inventory still sitting around, they need to sell a good portion of it before they drop a successor.
    Actually that inventory is now just a sunk cost. If Palm keeps thinking that they need to sell it before they drop a new phone, they're only wasting their time and money. If I was Palm, I would hold onto that inventory while I introduce my phone to my different carriers and use the spares for customer retentions, warranty replacements, and bad phones.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    We do know a new phone is coming. Just not when. Palm told its investors there will be a new phone this year. Let's just hope they didn't think the Pre Plus upgrade was the same as the iphone 3G > 3GS, because it's not..

Else we might be waiting until next winter.

Hope...
    They've had so much success with the current pre's so it wouldn't make sense for them to change up anything.

/Sarcasm
    With only six quarters of cash left... they HAVE to hit a homerun with their next device.
    It's not that easy with Apple and their monopolist ways. I'm pretty sure if someone brought an antitrust claim against Apple something would turn up.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    It seems so silly to release new hardware v2 barely a year after their initial release. I think the Pre just needs a marketing reboot--not that I have the first clue if that is even possible, culture wise.
    It would be totally logical to come out with new hardware one year after the first release. They'll have to to keep up with the competition. Standing still is moving backwards. Most other phones get updated/replaced once a year.

They can put everything they've learned in the last year into this device. Probably be a Sprint exclusive first. They can sell the stock of 'old phones' on the other networks wordwide. Remember it's just been introduced in France. China up next.
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    It's not that easy with Apple and their monopolist ways. I'm pretty sure if someone brought an antitrust claim against Apple something would turn up.
    Really? This isn't exactly on topic but you brought it up:
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Actually that inventory is now just a sunk cost. If Palm keeps thinking that they need to sell it before they drop a new phone, they're only wasting their time and money. If I was Palm, I would hold onto that inventory while I introduce my phone to my different carriers and use the spares for customer retentions, warranty replacements, and bad phones.
    The inventory is in the sale channels , that's why it such a problem. It's hard to sell carriers on your new whizzy phone when they have thousands of the last one sat gathering dusts in warehouses...
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    1) Apple isn't a monopoly, far from it.

2) "it was the bad man who made sure nobody wanted the Palm Pre" is a nice story for the bitter to keep warm to but it's not going to keep Palm Inc in business.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Really? This isn't exactly on topic but you brought it up:
    Honestly, this only enforces my notion that an anti-trust claim could be won against Apple. However, I see nothing wrong with Apple, I was just being pessimistic. Apple did the right thing at the right thing and without Apple, we'd still be on WinMo or Blackberry's OS and we'd all be missing out on the actual power of the smartphone that Apple really brought forth.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The inventory is in the sale channels , that's why it such a problem. It's hard to sell carriers on your new whizzy phone when they have thousands of the last one sat gathering dusts in warehouses...
    I really have no idea what this means. I realize that it's in the sales channels, but you missed my point: it's already a sunk cost. Why concentrate on sales you think you're going to get when you can start building a new sales device that improves on what you messed up on before? Realize that Palm is concentrating on improving their future outlook instead of worrying about quarter to quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    1) Apple isn't a monopoly, far from it.

2) "it was the bad man who made sure nobody wanted the Palm Pre" is a nice story for the bitter to keep warm to but it's not going to keep Palm Inc in business.
    Yes, I know. I was being half sarcastic, and half pessimistic. Apple has always done what every company should do: getting it right for the customer first.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    there is indeed a new pre device comming out....bigger screen, no physical keyboard.

I really have no idea what this means. I realize that it's in the sales channels, but you missed my point: it's already a sunk cost. Why concentrate on sales you think you're going to get when you can start building a new sales device that improves on what you messed up on before? Realize that Palm is concentrating on improving their future outlook instead of worrying about quarter to quarter.
    What he said was, if places like best buy, the shack, walmart, sprint, verizon etc. already have a full supply of first gen pre's that arent selling...why would they accept the 2nd gen pre from palm? if they cant get rid of the first why would the drop more money for the 2nd
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by xxr2hxx View Post
    there is indeed a new pre device comming out....bigger screen, no physical keyboard.
    Uh-huh. Get ready for WebOS 2.0 with the miraculous new additions of landscape functionality across the OS and third party apps! Oh, and a virtual keyboard. They were just saving it for a special occasion.

Take that, iPhone 4.0 with multitasking!
    Screenshots and links or it's just wishful thinking.
    Yah riiiiight. Palm has always (always) said they will never produce a device without a physical keyboard. I wouldn't hold my breath on them changing that philosophy....(we can hope though). I personally think they would be foolish not to offer a solidly built device with a huge screen and no keyboard.

But... my thought on this is that Palm won't change the screen-size for their next device because this would mean all apps (especially 3rd party) would have to be changed to support this new resolution and they don't really have the developers behind them right now as it is.

Anyhoo... that's just my 1.23 cents worth (adjusted for inflation).
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Yah riiiiight. Palm has always (always) said they will never produce a device without a physical keyboard. I wouldn't hold my breath on them changing that philosophy....(we can hope though). I personally think they would be foolish not to offer a solidly built device with a huge screen and no keyboard.

But... my thought on this is that Palm won't change the screen-size for their next device because this would mean all apps (especially 3rd party) would have to be changed to support this new resolution and they don't really have the developers behind them right now as it is.

Anyhoo... that's just my 1.23 cents worth (adjusted for inflation).
    i hope your wrong about the screen size comment...my next phone has to have a bigger screen than the pre.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops