Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a new user of the palm pre/webos.

I LOVE IT.

There's not much I dislike about the phone (besides the battery life).

I'm just VERY worried about what's going to happen with Palm, and what that will mean for us. I'm still within my 30 days, and have been pondering with the idea of switching to a droid. NOT because I think ANY other phone is better than my pre. Only because I'm worried about what's going to happen to us if/when Palm goes bottoms up. Even if someone buys them out. I find it highly unlikely they will keep webos. Anyone I could see actually buying palm. I see them buying palm out. Then, implementing webos features into their already known and established os.

I don't know. Maybe I'm looking for moral support. lol. I love my pre, but I want to not have to worry about my device's company.
    Life is only the perception of being alive ~ Zexter
    Nothing is going to happen to palm anytime soon, even if they do get bought out(which i doubt) its not like the company that buys them is going to take your phone away. at the worst case, the phone will stop getting updates, but thats why we have the best home-brew community right here to make sure that webos lives on. Plus, palm has some tricks up their sleeves soon which might bump up sales again. just enjoy your phone and don't worry
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    So worse case you have a phone that is exactly like the one you have now and that you love! And if palm stays around and keeps adding features then awesome its all bonus.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Exactly. Remember, this is just a phone. I love mine. There are a number of features I would like in the future, but if it stayed just the way it is, I would be perfectly happy. In a few years all of these products change. Sure I would love to see webOS thrive, but if it doesn't, not the end of the world. Enjoy your phone. If you like the way it is now, and don't think the Droid is great, stay with the Pre, and don't worry about what the Droid may be in the future, but what it is now.
    I've been hearing how Palm is going down for years now. I ignore it an move on.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

ET
    +1 even when i was in my treo650 days lol
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post

ET
    +1. "They" have been proclaiming the death of Palm for YEARS...and yet, it stands.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    +1 even when i was in my treo650 days lol
    hahaha I didn't see your post until after I replied. So true, so true!
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I hope that you guys are right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3Lov3r View Post
    +1. "They" have been proclaiming the death of Palm for YEARS...and yet, it stands.
    To be fair, this is the first time Palm had a do-or-die product that was supposed to turn the company around but ended up bombing.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    If anyone buys Palm, it will be for WebOS (and their rumored patent chest). I wouldn't worry about WebOS going anywhere, even if their acquired.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Pretty tired of re-ordering and re-applying screen protectors. My 4th Pre+ warranty replacement is in the mail due to faulty keyboards

The amount of wasted time and anxiety this device is causing me is starting to become ridiculous. I've worked for Verizon for 7 years, and never have I been this frustrated with a phone (or seen a phone with this much potential). I'm so tired of dealing with it, but I'm going to stick with it for another month or so.
    I really vacillate on this subject. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to make a prediction right now, I'd probably say that Palm will be acquired for their patent portfolio and/or webOS. The cards are really, really stacked against them, and they were royally screwed by both Sprint and Verizon. I'm not saying that Palm didn't make mistakes themselves, but I believe they did more things right than wrong and without horrible support from the carriers could be in a solid position today.

The reason I feel this way at the moment (and, I could change my mind again tomorrow with some better news) are the rumors around the new iPhone likely to be released in June, increasingly powerful Android handsets, and Windows Phone 7. It's not that these are better than webOS and even the Pre (which I find to be a great design and quite competent even today), it's simply that they're stealing whatever mindshare might have been left for Palm. And the tech and mainstream media simply refuse to acknowledge Palm other than to report on the company's imminent demise.

I think the only chance Palm has left revolves around these elements:

1. They need to get the update out that supports wide distribution of PDK apps. Android is catching up fast, and Palm needs developers to start reaping the benefits of making and selling PDK apps immediately to keep momentum in the developer community.

2. They need to announce an absolutely fabulous piece of hardware no later than June and release it no later than July. I think that with the right hardware, Palm might actually get the press to take notice. The media loves a feel-good come back story almost as much as they like to bury a company with doom and gloom.

3. They need to release on Sprint to leverage the hype around 4G and grab those instant upgraders. However, they need to release on AT&T and Verizon within three months following the Sprint rollout, with a device that supports LTE.

I could be entirely wrong with everything I've written here. I have no special knowledge (other than a career in marketing and sales) to contribute. But, this seems pretty obvious to me. If #1-#3 don't happen, then I think Palm becomes a very attractive takeover target by the end of the summer. And they could still get acquired sooner by someone wanting to grab their patent portfolio.

As I've mentioned in a number of other posts, I really want Palm to survive because they're dedicated to making great smartphones. That's unlike Apple, who wants to build consumer products serving up media, and Google, who wants to drive people to Google properties so they can sell ads. A pox on the both of them.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    You guys know that Palm owns many patents, probably more than Apple as far as handhelds. They are still making alot of money from that, which is why they are still around. We don't need to worry about Palm. What we need to worry about is getting these stable updates, PDK's, lags and advertising out. If all the people that have come together to vote for the Pre in March Madness ( March Smart Phone Madness Game 11: BlackBerry Bold 9700 vs. Palm Pre Plus ) could help with some advertising and get the word out for the Pre, we could really get this kicked off. I think there's over like 70,000 people here on Precentral.
  15.    #15  
    I am very much aware of the patents. Which is why I think that if one of the mainstream mobile phone makers aquire palm. It will mean the death of webos. If I were microsoft, and I was going to buy palm. I'd buy them for the patents. I'd integrate some of the webos features into windows mobile, and then disown webos. Same with any of the other mobile phone manufacturers. I find it highly unlikely that an already established company would keep their own os, and take on another one too.

I'm also aware of the "death threats" in recent years regarding palm. However, I haven't seen them doing this bad, and with the iphone going to other carriers. Those carriers aren't going to focus on palm. It doesn't make sense to. (Not financial sense anyway).

I guess the main reason I'm worried is because I want a phone that I know is going to be getting updates and still have a growing community. I actually shopped around, and played with ALOT of different phones. I chose the pixi (mainly because of features>price). After weeks of research and roughly 3 hours of hands-on with the different devices. Then, a week or two later. I went back to the store to upgrade my pixi to the pre. I love it. I just fear for the future considering the bad publicity and horrible sales.
    Last edited by Zexter; 03/31/2010 at 06:40 AM.
    Life is only the perception of being alive ~ Zexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zexter View Post
    I am a new user of the palm pre/webos.

I LOVE IT.

There's not much I dislike about the phone (besides the battery life).

I'm just VERY worried about what's going to happen with Palm, and what that will mean for us. I'm still within my 30 days, and have been pondering with the idea of switching to a droid. NOT because I think ANY other phone is better than my pre. Only because I'm worried about what's going to happen to us if/when Palm goes bottoms up. Even if someone buys them out. I find it highly unlikely they will keep webos. Anyone I could see actually buying palm. I see them buying palm out. Then, implementing webos features into their already known and established os.

I don't know. Maybe I'm looking for moral support. lol. I love my pre, but I want to not have to worry about my device's company.
    Turn that frown upside down and keep ur chin up.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    If anyone buys Palm, it will be for WebOS (and their rumored patent chest). I wouldn't worry about WebOS going anywhere, even if their acquired.
    If every one buys Palm they would be throwing their money out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by slope72 View Post
    You got that turned around. Palm's patent chest is anything but 'rumored'... Palm actually has a larger collection of patents than Apple at the moment. The difference being Apple's patents range in anything from music services and application handlers to computer tech. Palm's patents are ALL in smartphone technology and used by every phone company out there.

To the OP... as others have stated, 'end of days' rumors have been spread about Palm for years. This is nothing new, and any old Palm loyalist can tell you that they've heard the same rumors over and over for the past 15 years (I have). Don't worry... Palm is going to be around for quite a while yet. And... in the very unlikely event some company makes them an offer they can't refuse... they will still be here with a different name. BUT it's very unlikely Palm would ever see the need to sell out.

IMHO.. you are quite safe with Palm!!
    Rumours of Palm's death have been greatly exaggerated.
    Don't worry, be happy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast