1.    #1  
    I saw an interesting comment on PC World's website. No idea of the credibility, but i thought it was worth posting here.

mexicali100 says: Fri Mar 26 07:40:39 PDT 2010Well here's a vote of confidence for Palm's phones. A certain state's national guard will be receiving their Palm Pixi today for review. I suspect I will like and if so - bye bye blackberries. We will be buying hundreds. The department of defense deems blackberries method of retrieving email insecure and we need to replace our blackberries. (I'm not talking about blackberry enterprise email, but rather it's methods of retrieving imap/pop3 email). I chose the palm pixi mainly because of it's mYfi mobile hotspot capability. Blackberry's tethering works ok, but to us, the less software we load on our laptops the better - and at least we know how to secure a wifi connection. The other winning factors were it's battery life, compact form factor, and micro usb port. But, sorry AT&T - despite your excellent coverage in our state, we use verizon. I guess to the rest of the world, not having 100,000 apps is a negative - but we use our phones for communications, so we don't care about apps. We used to get around the balckberry's email retrieval security issues by using an imap app. But blackberry's latest phone through verizon was it's kiss of death. They changed the charging cable to a proprietary cable (a personal pet peeve); It is no longer compatible with the tethering software we had to manually load on all our laptops, and the imap app, no longer works. So, welcome aboard Palm. Now I just got to figure out how to get a bunch of soldiers to carry around something called a pixi. I suspect some of them will need to go out and buy a bigger truck to compensate for their new phone's girly name.
    Any sales news is good news...
    Cheers
    Interesting...
  3.    #3  
    the only thing that sounds funny is listing "battery life" as a plus of the phone.
    Let's hope Palm can keep the OS reliability up enough to satisfy these guys.
    I hope Seidio throws in 100s of 2600s for them and they'll be loving their Palms even more.

(no pun intended)
    Great news!
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I hope Seidio throws in 100s of 2600s for them and they'll be loving their Palms even more.

(no pun intended)
    D'oh!

Also, what would you call a Pixi with a Seidio 2600? A Puffed Pixi?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8.    #8  
    Prego Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by JaMart View Post
    the only thing that sounds funny is listing "battery life" as a plus of the phone.
    Not to mention "The department of defense deems blackberries method of retrieving email insecure and we need to replace our blackberries." That's pretty funny - but they are National Guard after all.
    If they are looking for hotspot capability, I would guess they are talking Pixi Plus?
    (substitute something witty for this double post)
    Last edited by chodaboy; 03/31/2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: ddoouubbllee ppoosstt
    Yeah, and "insecure messaging" as a negative for the blackberry.

I personally am highly skeptical of this report.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    have you witnessed the battery life of other phones?
    OMG i got a woody someone is using a palm pre
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I suppose it's possible this could happen in an individual state's National Guard but it will never happen in the regular Army. Yes, the Army uses Blackberries and yes, they did implement a policy that effectively blocks individuals from accessing their Army mail on the BB. But this is for people's personal phone, not their official phone. The Army (and usually each installation) runs their own Blackberry Enterprise Server that ties into Exchange and the BB is issued to Soldiers for official use. The chances of that ever changing to a Pre, iPhone, etc... are slim to none.
    awesome!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Yes.. sounds funny though... The Few, The Proud, The Men Carrying Pixi's!

BTW... Napalm will now be called 'fairy dust'. (and yes... I did see that: naPALM)
    I am in the National Guard. I remember reading a story a while back about Palm beefing up the security on there phones to oust the Blackberry as the secure internet phones, actually. That would definitely boost their stock because I went to a tech expo while I was in Germany and saw the type of Blackberry the president uses -- they cost $8500 a piece. Got to love government spending.