Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Hey All,

So I'm basically a "power user" with my Pre. On top of being a developer I also spend a lot of time hanging out in the shell. A while back I was even experimenting running X11 apps via VNC (running a local server). I eventually quit playing with that stuff due to the incredible strain my poor little Pre had. I *could* successfully chat/send files using Pidgin or X-Chat. But it was a bit laggy for me. Anyhow, back to the point at hand here. I've never ran anything past 500mhz, I could probably install any of them with my eyes closed, I just keep hesitating to do so. Am I the only one in this boat or are there other "power users" out there still running at stock speeds? I was thinking of at least taking the plunge to 600 since so many people are running at 800 without issue but then I think... well why not 800 then? What do you guys think?

- Phil -
    Last edited by BoraWare; 03/30/2010 at 04:42 PM.
    I am at 500 as well. I am a developer by profession, but an EE by education...and I tend to think that the engineers who designed the packaging did so with a certain level of stress in mind. Yes, there are probably safety margins, but I'd rather stay inside the margins. UI lag and jitters have no practical impact on me. I will admit that I would like the browser to render faster, so that is tempting, but otherwise, performance for me is fine.

Kudos to the brave, but I am staying at 500 for now.
    it's like moving from a ford taurus 2000,to a mercedes 2010. What the hell! You can always remove it.
    I'm still stock,,,pre runs smooth,im in no rush,,i can wait 3 secs for my app to open as opposed to 1 sec. Them guys are good. Those cpu patches are awsome from what I read. I may try one one of these days.
    Not sure what criteria for a "power user" are....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    i find the 800 can be a bit more buggy than the 720 . so i stay with the 720 its still quiet fast and not buggy at all to me !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I was running 800MHz, and liked it for the most part. But, I was experiencing incredible battery drain (an exacerbation of the battery drain I've been experiencing when on 3G only since 1.4), and my Pre was jumping between 1XT and EVDO. Removing the overclock restored EVDO stability for me.

So, I really do think people's mileage is varying with the overclock.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I am at 500 as well. I am a developer by profession, but an EE by education...and I tend to think that the engineers who designed the packaging did so with a certain level of stress in mind. Yes, there are probably safety margins, but I'd rather stay inside the margins. UI lag and jitters have no practical impact on me. I will admit that I would like the browser to render faster, so that is tempting, but otherwise, performance for me is fine.

Kudos to the brave, but I am staying at 500 for now.
    Ooh, the browser is the most noticeable, practical speed gain using the 800 MHz kernel. Gone are those annoying 30 s lockups while the browser hashes out some superfluous javascript code.

If there was more evidence of strain being put on the device (overheating, lockups, crashes) I'd dump it. Still, if it shortens the life, I can live with that. I'm due for an upgrade in two months anyway. At worst, if it manages to die before a new WebOS device is released, I'll just grab a used Pre from eBay or Craigslist and chalk it up to a tinkerer's lessoned learned. I've blown things up in the lab being much more careful than I am in this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i find the 800 can be a bit more buggy than the 720 . so i stay with the 720 its still quiet fast and not buggy at all to me !
    I had more problems with the 720, than I do with the 800. Regardless, its worth the possible voided warranty.
    800 runs great for me.. Battery life is terrible, but it always,so I can't blamme the patch.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i was at 500. i tried 800 but had lots of heat problems. so i went down to 720 and i think it runs cooler than at 500 and slightly faster too
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the replies. Here's a question for you: I've followed the 720/800mhz patch threads a bit and it looks like the way things are patched everything is quite stable; so what about the 600mhz patch? Honestly if an extra 100mhz will get me where I need to be I'll go there but I don't hear much about that patch these days. I was under the impression that the 600mhz patch was just a modification to Luna and not an actual kernel mod like the 720/800 patch. Is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. Here's a question for you: I've followed the 720/800mhz patch threads a bit and it looks like the way things are patched everything is quite stable; so what about the 600mhz patch? Honestly if an extra 100mhz will get me where I need to be I'll go there but I don't hear much about that patch these days. I was under the impression that the 600mhz patch was just a modification to Luna and not an actual kernel mod like the 720/800 patch. Is that correct?
    I don't know how it works on a technical level, but for me, the 600MHz app was much more stable. It wasn't nearly as much of a speed improvement, but it seemed to smooth things out and I wasn't experiencing the EVDO instability problem.

In fact, the only reason it's not on my Pre right now is because I'm being hopeful that 1.4.1 will be released in the next few days. And so, I'm running completely stock in anticipation.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I'm just hoping future updates doesn't break it. My pre is running smooth and fast.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Still on 500.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 03/30/2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    I have not put any cpu patch on my pre I'm a poor college student so I can afford to buy a new pre if anything gets messed up. I'm waiting to see how the patches affects other people's pre. However I am tempted to try the 600 patch.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I am switching over today.
    Running the stock '500' kernel, but set the governor to 600. Works well, and still within the processor's spec.
    500 is fast enough for me
    800mhz patch runs great for me, and battery life is the same as at 500mhz.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast