Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I exchanged my pre out several times for problems. #2 pre had the double key typing issue.

Now my 4th Pre has suddenly developed the double key issue out of the blue.

I installed the 800 patch, double key issue went away. I believe the double key issue is software related based upon some kind of OS lag. The 800 patch smoothed that problem out.
    I still run 500, and got a factory temp warning (for the first time ever) on Monday, charging and using BT w/ shoutcast..... Not that the overclock isn't safe, but I am good on how my pre runs right now..... No need to risk it, at this point, I think about running one, but probably not until I know some new sprint hardware is on the horizon.....
    I'm running stock, after months of obsessively patching, checking to make sure I was up-to-date, doctoring when I had issues, etc. It feels a bit liberating!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Had the Pre since launch and have it patched and hacked to the gills, but have not messed with the kernels yet.

Figure I'll just hold out until there is actually a faster webos device available.
    I run my development devices overclocked, but remain at stock frequencies on my production phone. I'm waiting until we have automatic frequency reduction based on the internal CPU temperature sensor, or based on whether the screen is on or not, before I subject my production phone to the lifetime reduction inherent in overclocking (as my nearest replacement device is on the other side of the world from Australia, and I have to pay AUD$800 to import an unlocked GSM Pre from Germany). If you are in the US and replace your phone every six months then the lifetime reduction probably won't matter to you.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    800Mhz = All That Is Mighty

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I'm back running at the stock 500. I had the 800 SPK and CPU Scaler (500 - 800) for a few days.. wasn't happy with the additional heat and battery drain, so I thought I'd try and uninstall the 800 and try out the 720 or 600.

Turned off scaling and uninstalled the 800 SPK... bam! Phone locked up on the "palm" screen. No matter what I did, I couldn't get past the palm screen.

So, my first and only visit to the doctor went without a hitch, and aside from re-grabbing all the patches and apps I had, I'm gonna stay away from any OCing for a while.
    Yes.
    The Saint
    Been running the 800 patch for nearly a month and love it! Only froze up once and had to pull the battery. The only other problem was one restatrt. It is flyin'!
    All hail the mighty 800mhz patch!
    yes you are.
    I just went back to 500MHz myself after a few weeks of running at 800MHz.

I stopped using patches a couple months ago too.

While there's a ton of great stuff to be had in there, I get tired of wondering whether I'm doing something to cause issues, whether it's the phone itself, whether it's webOS, or whether it's some mod or another.

Don't get me wrong, it's all very well done. I just find that I prefer the certainty of running the device stock and not having to worry about anything else. I'm sure there will be something again that will tempt me for a bit too, but mostly I'll probably go back after that as well.
    At first I avoided the 800mhz patch because I felt the process wasn't explained that clear and things looked sorta messy.

When the SuperKernal App came out, I took the plunge, but bat life sucked so I went back.

Now...I'm back to 800mhz because the latest patch with the screen-state is incredible!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I run my development devices overclocked, but remain at stock frequencies on my production phone. I'm waiting until we have automatic frequency reduction based on the internal CPU temperature sensor, or based on whether the screen is on or not, before I subject my production phone to the lifetime reduction inherent in overclocking (as my nearest replacement device is on the other side of the world from Australia, and I have to pay AUD$800 to import an unlocked GSM Pre from Germany). If you are in the US and replace your phone every six months then the lifetime reduction probably won't matter to you.
    Now that the screenstate governor is available in the Uber-Kernel, I now run that combination on my production phone.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    okay newbie here how or where does it tell you how much mhz you're using?? it is an app?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I'm still @ 500MHz. Smart phones are expensive and I'm on a tight budget. The silicon may be rated up to 800MHz, but in my mind the engineers clocked the phone the way they did for a reason. So until I have the Palm Pre Plus 3.14 with Waffle making features, I'm @ 500MHz.

500 mhz was so 2009
    I just got a replacement phone due to a defective volume button. It really doesn't seem all that slow at the stock speed. I think I'm going to leave it alone and let it run the way the company intended it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by lileire View Post
    okay newbie here how or where does it tell you how much mhz you're using?? it is an app?
    You can install Govnah and it will report your current frequency or you can use a linux command line in Terminal (an app) or WOSQI and type

cat /proc/cpuinfo

The number beside BogoMIPS is your current frequency.
    Still at 500, thinking I will install a kernal after the upcoming update. I don't think I will clock to 800 though, I am looking at uber w/ compcache to help with TMC. Probably still running 500 for now. As said above, smartphones are expensive and we will probably be keeping our Pre's for the better part of 2 years (with an original October purchase date).
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast