1.    #1  
    So while the volume and ‘gray screen’ camera bugs only started happening after the 1.4 update. The actual problem seems to be linked to a hardware issue, at least in my case. It just seems that the 1.4 release made the hardware issue more visible by rendering the volume control anytime there is a change in the volume value. In my case this change in volume seems to be static or a short caused by squeezing or actuating the slider. I have never used the headphone jack until yesterday (I have a release day phone from Sprint). I noticed that when I squeezed the phone I could hear static in the earphones and at the same time I would see the volume bug. I was able to reproduce this at least 25 times by squeezing the phone or opening and closing the slider and in some cases just shaking the phone. So I believe that the problem has been there all along but the 1.4 release make the hardware bug noticeable.

The same thing goes with the camera. With 1.4 my camera application stopped working. While after finding the volume issue I noticed that the same type of thing was true for the camera. If I launch the camera application and I get the gray screen all I have to do is squeeze the phone by the camera and the app works fine. Here is the funny thing, while squeezing it you will hear the static (distortion sound) again. I have tested this on 3 other Pres and have found it to be the cause or common link with all of them.
    Interesting find but I can't duplicate either one just yet. I'll have to wait for the camera app to act up but I can't duplicate the volume bug by squeezing or sliding. I do have the bug at random but it still hasn't happened when I squeeze or slide.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Ive got both problems, definitely a build problem. Whats your build date? Mines from June of 09.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Interesting find but I can't duplicate either one just yet. I'll have to wait for the camera app to act up but I can't duplicate the volume bug by squeezing or sliding. I do have the bug at random but it still hasn't happened when I squeeze or slide.
    Plug in a set of earphones and the squeeze (kind of hard) all around the edge of the phone. It is worse on the left side of my phone. If you can get it to happen let me know if the volume icon shows up.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Both things happen to me as well after the 720 update. How can I find the phone build date?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Same here. The volume icon bug is more prevalent (happens just about every time I pick up the phone). And yes, I've blown out the jack with compressed air and also repeatedly plugged in a headphone plug.
    i have the same problem with a bell palm pre as well