1.    #1  
    After using my PRE for so long, I thought I would post this here for you all to read. I basically have been adding this review on every site I encounter, giving the PRE an overall rating of 5 stars. Perhaps for some of you losing patience and faith in your pre, my personal review may help you appreciate it more. Here it is:

I have to say that I have used/owned several smartphones before including the Old PalmOS, Windows Mobile 2002/2003/5/6/6.1/6.5, Android, iPhone and Blackberry. And this is by far the most professional, funnest, most useful, most in-sync phone I have ever used!!!!!!!!!

Palm has really done it. Their WebOS is amazing. I never ever experienced Multi-tasking as perfect as it is on this phone. Its really easy to use, even for beginners, and really fast and the idea behind it is just really simple. There is absolutely no flaw behind this system.

The card system itself which allows the multi-tasking is really a cool feature. Atleast now I can pause my work wherever I am so that I can continue doing whatever else needs to be done. This innovation to me is comparable to when "Live DVR" was invented. Its truly that innovative.

As far as apps go, there are nearly 3000 native apps available for it and more coming fast! Its not as many as the iPhone catalog, but you know what, atleast it doesn't have 345 different apps that do the same thing (EG: The lightsaber app on the iPhone. There are so many, but they all do the same stinking thing). Not to mention you can buy motionApps Classic and run all the old PalmOS Software, making the library really compete with the iPhone. And even though there arent as many "new" apps as the iPhone, there are tons of patches, updates and software and games that do EVERYTHING you need good enough. In fact, fewer apps even save you money in the long run.

The Live syncing is amazing. All you do is put in your email address and/or facebook login and it does it all for you... It syncs all your calendars automatically. It syncs all your contacts automatically. And it syncs your inbox automatically. I have never experienced anything as effortless as this. It literally put all my information there for me. Putting this with the multi-tasking system makes doing business and mixing in pleasure a snap. The closest phone that matches this, I will say, is the iPhone. But the Pre is far superior in this aspect than the iPhone.

The Launcher is cool too. You have the launch bar which can be dragged from top to bottom. Then the launcher itself which pretty much mimics the iPhones main launcher screen with several enhanced features which make it better.

I like the music player and the support for ITunes, which most players do not have. So this is one of the few smartphone systems that can sync with ITunes on your pc and play your music. The original player was great. But I downloaded the free remix edition and it turned my Pre into the ultimate mp3 player ever!

As far as hardware goes... I know many knock it. But, really, for a handheld, how much power do you need? 600mhz is not enough? You can even overclock it to 800mhz. It doesn't matter. The games play the same as they do on the iPhone (Trust me, I have played them on both), the smoothness of the interface is perfect. Really, what more do you want? Why pay more for better hardware that is really not needed on a handheld device? You want gaming power, buy a PSP or a DS. And still, it can probably play games just as well and poweful regardless.

The Keyboard looks awkward at first, but is really nice and comfortable to use. And its a nice feature to have with a phone for messaging and e-mail and other things..

It has 16gb of on device memory. What no 32GB???? Really, do you need that much anyway other than for music? I have about 25 hours of music on it. It only took up a little over a gig. For the rest of my music fixes, I use Pandora and radiotime- which more than cover up for the lack of an FM Player. In fact RadioTime plays over 50,000 stations in the US for free. I had every station I listen to on their. And as far as needing extra storage, the Pre is the first to offer Cloud Storage, meaning you can use ZumoDrive online to act as additional storage for the pre making it work as if it is actually part of the PRE. Its Awesome! I can virtually have unlimited space on the go with this thing. Not to mention that it also has a feature that backs up your whole phone onto Palm every day without ever interfering with your work. Why is this good? Because if you have to replace your phone, all you do on your next phone is login with your palm account and it restores ALL information and APPS so you dont lose a thing.

The G-Sensor/Accelerometer works great. I used it with Need for Speed undercover and its perfect.

The Camera works well and takes nice pictures.

The screen quality... To me in actual display, graphics capabilities and color/brightness... ITS THE ABSOLUTE BEST. It has a 24bit graphics processor. Really, you cant go wrong with that. As far as touch sensitivity... OK. The iPhone is the best hands down. But, its good enough and is about 90% as good as the iPhone. Believe me, you would barely even notice the difference. And if you never had an iPhone before, you wouldn't know the difference. PERIOD.

The design is really slick. I love it. Its not heavy. Its not bulky. The screen size is great. It could be a bit bigger, but its big enough. I never accidentally dial numbers with this thing. Its a pure genius design.

People also complain about its sturdiness... I think its pretty sturdy. Otherwise buy an attractive case on ebay for $5 and thats it. But its definetly better than the Nexus one which will crack if you keep it in your pocket. Whats up with that?

Other nice features of the pre:
    *Documents to go to view Excel, Word and PDF files.
    *Supports Facebook, Google, Exchange, IMAP and POP as well as AIM and other things.
    *For Developers it supports HTML5/CSS/Javascript or c/C++ with SDL and basically allows you to recompile any library thats available for linux so that you can port apps over easily. And you can actually use all these languages together!
    *Instant over the air updates of your apps
    *Great sound quality for phone calls.
    *3G phone. What would you really need 4G for? It streams music and video in HD really well already.
    *Palm really cares for its customers more than other companies. That puts this over the edge for that reason alone!

The only downside to this is that battery. It consumes a lot of battery power. But just buy an extended battery, and it will last longer than any other phones battery, gaurantee'd!

Try the Pre, you will not regret it. In fact you wont even go to another phone after this!!!!
    Well I'm sick of the Palm Pre. Maybe yours is great because you have the Plus version, but I have it on Sprint. I have constant freezes and restarts, I cannot multitask without the "Sorry, too many cards open" warning popping up and closing apps or restarting the phone, my pictures automatically delete themselves, the radios cause an overheating issue (which results in dropped calls/data), and now just a few days ago, my screen is showing dead pixels I believe (parts of the screen have turned pure white). The battery is just plain awful. I'm thinking it was the 1.4 update because I didnt have as many problems before, except for the phone being very slow. I have rooted for Palm and I want the best for them, but Sprint customers were screwed big time, and if Sprint had a smart phone worth looking at, I will switch. I cannot wait until this Summer to look for a phone alternative. The sad thing is I love webOS but the Pre was a failed attempt to show off a beautiful and smart OS.
    Great review...just read yours on Amazon!! Loving my pre plus more everyday and so happy I left my blackberry 2nd generation and storm!!!
    Thank you for sharing, I feel the same way!! I'm a Pre+ user and I absolutely love my device.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by emcdonald75 View Post
    Well I'm sick of the Palm Pre. Maybe yours is great because you have the Plus version, but I have it on Sprint. I have constant freezes and restarts, I cannot multitask without the "Sorry, too many cards open" warning popping up and closing apps or restarting the phone, my pictures automatically delete themselves, the radios cause an overheating issue (which results in dropped calls/data), and now just a few days ago, my screen is showing dead pixels I believe (parts of the screen have turned pure white). The battery is just plain awful. I'm thinking it was the 1.4 update because I didnt have as many problems before, except for the phone being very slow. I have rooted for Palm and I want the best for them, but Sprint customers were screwed big time, and if Sprint had a smart phone worth looking at, I will switch. I cannot wait until this Summer to look for a phone alternative. The sad thing is I love webOS but the Pre was a failed attempt to show off a beautiful and smart OS.
    Yeah, I dont know how the Sprint phone actually works, but then again, I am reviewing the Plus.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    It saddens me to hear bad experiences with the Pre (Sprint). It's truly an objective thing or some people got the short straw. Like the OP.. I can say the same about my regular old Pre (not the plus), well except for the storage capacity - I'm an mp3 addict as well. I absolutely love this phone.

Thanks OP! That's what the world needs to hear. The word is finally getting out, I feel. The Palm Pre is now getting its recognition.
    I installed the JsTop app today and it seems to be helping some with the "too many cards" issue. The random restarts are annoying however.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    i had the too many cards issue for a short time, not getting it anymore, not sure what happen, but I love the pre, heavy user, no issue that makes me want something else.
    My take regarding the Pre and webOS is this: while there are some things it can't do, there are things it does so much better than any other platform that it's hard to imagine switching to something else.

To copy from a post I made a few weeks ago, here's an example from just Synergy that I believe stands alone:

1. Multiple Calendars: I have available on my Pre today the following calendars:

- My work Outlook calendar syncing via Exchange Activesync (EAS), set to visible in the "All Calendars" view
    - My personal Outlook calendar, syncing from my PC to Google via Companionlink for Google, set to visible in the "All Calendars" view
    - My wife's, son's, and daughter's calendars, managed in Outlook on my wife's PC and syncing as above, set to not visible in the "All Calendars" view
    - My Facebook events, syncing via Synergy, set to not visible in my "All Calendars" view
    - I've also had a Fandango calendar when I've scheduled movies, set to visible in the "All Calendars" view, and other applications can create calendars as needed
    -
    I could also be syncing Yahoo! calendars if I used any.

I can manage which of these shows up on my main calendar view, and they're all keep in sync in the background. In short, I can plan my time in one calendar application across the most important people in my life.

2. Contacts: I have available on my Pre in a single, integrated view (i.e., contacts that are on multiple lists are aggregate and the lists indicated), the following contacts:

- My contacts from my work Outlook, syncing via EAS
    - My contacts from my personal Outlook folder,syncing from my PC to Google via Companionlink for Google
    - My Facebook friends, with Facebook profile pics
    - My LinkedIn network
    - My company's Exchange global address book available on searches with the Email app and Universal Search
    - I could also be syncing Yahoo! contacts if I had any.

I have access to all information on every contact in one place, synced and de-duplicated automatically and without effort. I literally have never in my life had to worry less about being able to stay in contact with people.

As an example: I used to work for Ricoh, a company that is having its own challenges given the poor economy. Many, many of my former friends and colleagues have left Ricoh, and in the past I would have been concerned about losing touch with them. However, because I have most of them in either Facebook or LinkedIn, as they've changed jobs and email addresses, my Pre has been automatically updated. For me, it's entirely seamless--I just go to the same contact record, and voila! I have their new email address.

3. Email: I have available on my Pre in a single, unified Inbox view, the following email accounts:

- My work email, via EAS
    - Gmail via EAS
    - Yahoo! via IMAP

And it all works perfectly.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    glad to hear. I absolutely love my palm pre plus. See my 40 day/40 nights review. I'm even happier with it now than I was then...Absolutely wonderful device. I'm not sure why so many people complain and reading some people's complaints, I can't believe they are going through them. Sometimes what they post seems unreal. I just finally starting using preware, and still no complaints. I'm loving it!
    emcdonald, sorry to hear you're having so many issues. I've had my Sprint Pre since July of last year, and I don't have any of the issues you are experiencing. Before 1.4 I did have an occasional freeze and restart, but not since 1.4. Even with my Pre being a Sprint Pre, I have to agree with everything the OP said (except I don't have 16gb). I really believe this phone is the best smartphone available at this time.

-Skippy
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    sprint pre here...used to have some freezes and "too many cards" pop-ups...installed 800 mhz kernel and now i'm blazin fast, buttery smooth. Do it man, you will be so stoked...it's like havin a brand new device!
    I'm a sprint pre user and have been since launch , yes I'm on my second Pre but not because it broke..it was stolen. Getting a replacement phone and having all my contacts, emails, apps, calendar back in a matter of minutes to me makes WebOS the best mobile OS out there.

I've owned the iphone, it's a fun toy, terrible phone, dropped calls became a way of life for me. While the number of apps is impressive, most are a waste of time and money.

My only complaint with the Pre is battery life, but I had a G1 , I think that's even worse then the Pre. The Iphone isn't any better either, this year at South by SouthWest it was funny to watch all the Iphone users (95% of the techies there) scramble to find places to recharge their phones. If you want battery life get a Nokia, but the OS just isn't very friendly.

That's my .02 ... I love my Pre , can't imagine going back to another OS...to each their own. but I'm impressed with the way WebOs just does things... very fluid. and refined.

BTW... I'm a career IT guy and have been supporting every type of smartphone possible since blackberry's had green and black displays... remember that?
    Last edited by cescoffery; 03/30/2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Well I'm sick of the Palm Pre. Maybe yours is great because you have the Plus version, but I have it on Sprint. I have constant freezes and restarts, I cannot multitask without the "Sorry, too many cards open" .....
    You know that thing has a 1 year warranty right?
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Funny thing is Palm doesn't know about it. If they knew , they sure would have advertised.
    sprint pre here,,love this phone,,no problems,runs smooth,i have had this for 7 months now with no issues.