1.    #1  
    Check out this site....

Stoneware, Inc.

Do you think Palm will say something about this?
    WebOS, webOS, webos, whatever... I don't like things starting with a lower case letter.

Also not really a 'Palm Pre' topic
    Last edited by mjkjr; 03/30/2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Preventing 10 more of the same posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    That says "webOS". Palm has "WebOS" so they are different. Lol.

No, actually Palm's OS is called webOS.
    whaaat, how could they get away with that??
    You would think they would have checked on that name b4 slapping it on their product
  6.    #6  

yea I think it really is "webOS"....i know it's not a Pre topic, but I just found it so interesting that I clicked on this link thinking it was for the Palm Pre and it wasn't lol
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

no.
    it's also palm 'webOS.'

the term 'webOS' itself existed prior to being the final name chosen for nova (what webOS was known as in testing builds).

I'm inclined to believe that in this case, the term web operating system is being utilized in a non-infringing fashion.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    it would be nice to see palm fight or at least address the issue, if for no other reason to get their name bouncing about, say what u will but it is marketing in a way lol
    and a waste of valuable funds that palm can't spare
    How many people does it take to say that it's webOS rather than WebOS? Either way, it doesn't really matter.

Does anyone read threads before posting or just read the OP and click reply?
    This wouldn't be patent infringement, it would be trademark infringement. And that depends on whether or not Palm has registered webOS as a trademark and plans on defending it. Note that Palm _must_ defend the trademark if they want it and intend to keep it--the law requires companies to vigorously defend their trademarks or they become invalid.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I used to run another product from Stone-Ware, and thought this was tickling at my brain. Took a little, but I finally found it. Before folks get too "lawsuit happy", and demanding that Palm "not stand for this", they should check out the date on this press release:

http://www.stone-ware.com/cloud/pres...essRelease.pdf
    One thing to remember with a registered trademark or name. If you are the owner of that name and sit back a bit and not let it be know that you know about it for awhile, the other person, group or organization that uses that name or mark will have had time to create their own market. As a result when you bring suit against the offender, the suit could be worth more. There is a long paper (money) trail to show a gain that was received by the offender. The only thing is to make sure that the name or mark never becomes common. If that happens you could loose the rights. Like Xerox and Coke fight for with those names. You can't say in generic talk" I want a Xerox copy" or "I want a Coke" and not have it mean just that.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    As has been said, it is not patent infringement, but rather trademark infringement.

On a side note, I started developing something very similar around Jan. 2007. In hindsight, it would have been smart to have patented the idea (imagine the licensing revenue from Google Chrome OS and this OS).

By similar, I mean NEARLY identical.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    How many people does it take to say that it's webOS rather than WebOS? Either way, it doesn't really matter.

Does anyone read threads before posting or just read the OP and click reply?
    if it's insignificant, why did you labor to make the distinction obvious in your first post?
    some folk take a bit to submit their reply.
    it's very possible you posted while they were typing.

I still don't believe this instance is infringement.
    they're utilizing the word as a recognized term for distributed computing via the internet.
    however, I'm not all too familiar with trademark law.
    at worst, I imagine stone-ware's use would have to be elongated to the term proper, web operating system.
    however, since palm has trademarked as name what was already the designation of a general product/service, I'm not sure what comes into play here legally speaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    if it's insignificant, why did you labor to make the distinction obvious in your first post?
    some folk take a bit to submit their reply.
    it's very possible you posted while they were typing.

I still don't believe this instance is infringement.
    they're utilizing the word as a recognized term for distributed computing via the internet.
    however, I'm not all too familiar with trademark law.
    at worst, I imagine stone-ware's use would have to be elongated to the term proper, web operating system.
    however, since palm has trademarked as name what was already the designation of a general product/service, I'm not sure what comes into play here legally speaking.
    I looked into the registered "WebOS" trademark/trade name and it seems to be more with the design (trademark) and also the way it is used with the word "Palm" and not so much a trade name. I'm looking for more information.

I any one else finds more information could you point us there?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!