Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So this is a little surprising,

I installed the 800Mhz overclocking kernel the other day, and my boot time went from 5min 40sec to about 5 min. I thought this was pretty good, the overclock has definitely resulted in smoother, more responsive performance and no heat increase that I can can detect!

Anyway, I had my friend (who also has a Sprint Pre) boot both of our phones at the same time. I was looking to show off my new overclock, but was disappointed to see that their phone booted (from when you start to push the power button to when the phone is usable) in about 2 min compared to my 5min!

Both phones are Sprint Pre's, both are on WebOS 1.4. Both have some patches, but mine has many more, and a lot more apps too. I can't imagine that apps/patches are slowing boot time so drastically, but wanted to get some help! I tried uninstalling my theme but that did not make a difference.

Any ideas? I'd like to avoid doctoring but am willing if someone knows it will make a difference.

Thanks!
    Patches load with the OS, the more you have, the slower it will boot. Apps, depends on what they are.

Mine boots when I need to in two minutes or so as well, but I don't have a boatload of patches installed either.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    So this is a little surprising,

I installed the 800Mhz overclocking kernel the other day, and my boot time went from 5min 40sec to about 5 min. I thought this was pretty good, the overclock has definitely resulted in smoother, more responsive performance and no heat increase that I can can detect!

Anyway, I had my friend (who also has a Sprint Pre) boot both of our phones at the same time. I was looking to show off my new overclock, but was disappointed to see that their phone booted (from when you start to push the power button to when the phone is usable) in about 2 min compared to my 5min!

Both phones are Sprint Pre's, both are on WebOS 1.4. Both have some patches, but mine has many more, and a lot more apps too. I can't imagine that apps/patches are slowing boot time so drastically, but wanted to get some help! I tried uninstalling my theme but that did not make a difference.

Any ideas? I'd like to avoid doctoring but am willing if someone knows it will make a difference.

Thanks!

I have the 800 patch and about 25 others, along with 1.4OS and my boot time is less than 2min 30sec.

Your phone just hates you
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm... according to Preware I have 38 patches installed, they are:

4x4 icons v4 No Arrows Plus More
    Ad Blocker
    Add Date - MM/DD
    Add Roam Control to Prefs
    Add Shortcut Keys
    Add Space Between Snooze and Dismiss
    Advanced Options in Launcher
    Battery Icon as Percent
    Call Duration in Call Log
    Capture with Volume Keys
    Character Counter
    Close on Hangup
    Copy URL to Clipboard (Youtube)
    Data in Device Menu
    Device Temperature Warnings
    Enable Dialpad Vibration
    Facebook Chat Spoof
    GPS in Device Menu
    Improved Photo Naming PRE
    More Default Snooze Times
    More Reminder Alarm Times
    Open to Alarm List (Clock)
    Phone Radio Toggle
    Raise Image Resolution Limit
    Ringer Switch Icon
    Roam Only in Device Menu
    Slider Blocks Orientation Change
    Snooze Duration Selection
    Timestamps Clean
    Unthrottle Download Manager
    Video Camera Flashlight
    Video Downloads - No Truncating (Youtube)
    Virtual Keyboard
    Wrap Pages

I also have the Terminal Service Plugin installed as well as:
    FileMgr Service
    Package Manager Service
    SysToolsMgr Service
    Wake-on-LAN Service

None of these seem to me to be items that are large resource drains... any ideas?

Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    Just removed 5-6 patches, did a Luna Restart, then powered down and timed the boot: 6min 30 sec! This is crazy!
    Do a full restart. Luna restarts don't completely shut down the phone and clear out any leftover data in the OS.
    I found that the more 3D games I have installed the longer the boot takes.
    Patches don't matter, but it seems that when you boot, LunaSysMgr loads some info for each app you have, thus increasing boot time with each one.

Too bad this was designed this way.

Mine also boots in 4-5 mins, even @ 800 MHz
    I've got about 15 patches installed, and lord knows how many apps, a bunch we'll say, and she boots in about 2 1/2 minutes soooo... /shrug and thats without overclocking, thought i'm thinking about checking that out.
  10.    #10  
    Removed my 3D games (Assassins Free, Asphalt 5 Free, Ganstar Free), and still taking 5min to boot...

Maybe we need a patch fixing the way LunaSysMgr loads appdata during boot! Who can we suggest this to?

PS
    (I have about 130 apps installed)
    As my plane landed this morning, the flight attendant announced, "portable electronics such as cell phones, PDA's, and laptops are approved for use", I couldn't wait to turn on my phone. Unfortunately it took at least 5-6 mins as I was the last person to use their phone watching the iPhone brigade click away while I was staring at the gleaming "Palm". This is kinda funny, but I actually was embarrassed and hid the phone in my pocket until I knew it was available for use. I'm not giving those guys the satisfaction of a quicker boot than my phone! All in all, it's rare that I have to turn my phone off but closing in on a 6 minute boot is unacceptable. I have about a half dozen patches and quite a few 3D games if they have something to do with the slow boot process. Even so, I'm not sure it warrants me to wait that long for my phone to become usable upon startup. I'm not really that upset about, just sayin'....
    Quote Originally Posted by theblizzard2009 View Post
    I have the 800 patch and about 25 others, along with 1.4OS and my boot time is less than 2min 30sec.

Your phone just hates you
    I agree. I have never understood how people claim to have 5 minute plus boot times.

Prior to installing the 800 Mhz kernel mod, my boot time was around 3 minutes and 30 seconds. After the 800 Mhz kernel mod it is down to 2 minutes and 40 - 50 seconds.

What can really cause the boot times to be so different? I have tons of patches and apps installed too...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    Maybe we need a patch fixing the way LunaSysMgr loads appdata during boot! Who can we suggest this to?

PS
    (I have about 130 apps installed)
    Suggestions should go directly to the Palm feedback page

What we need is better memory management so we don't need to be restarting our Pres every now and then.
  14.    #14  
    That's what I'm trying to figure out here, how many patches/apps do you have?

I'm have about 33/130...
    I have about 40/140 apps too
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbonizio View Post
    As my plane landed this morning, the flight attendant announced, "portable electronics such as cell phones, PDA's, and laptops are approved for use", I couldn't wait to turn on my phone. Unfortunately it took at least 5-6 mins as I was the last person to use their phone watching the iPhone brigade click away while I was staring at the gleaming "Palm". This is kinda funny, but I actually was embarrassed and hid the phone in my pocket until I knew it was available for use. I'm not giving those guys the satisfaction of a quicker boot than my phone! All in all, it's rare that I have to turn my phone off but closing in on a 6 minute boot is unacceptable. I have about a half dozen patches and quite a few 3D games if they have something to do with the slow boot process. Even so, I'm not sure it warrants me to wait that long for my phone to become usable upon startup. I'm not really that upset about, just sayin'....
    They probably put their phone in Airplane mode instead of a full turn off. I don't give to many iPhone users the benefit of the doubt when following instructions that have been undermined by ***** media and nonscientific experiments (Mythbusters).

The # of apps and patches probably has more to do with boot time then the actual size of those apps. Patch sizes may adversely affect boot time since the entire patch needs to load with the OS. I have a Sprint launch Pre and 5 minutes sounds about right for my 91 apps and patches.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbonizio View Post
    You can put your Pre in airplane mode! That way you don't need to turn it off when you are on the flight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    They probably put their phone in Airplane mode instead of a full turn off. I don't give to many iPhone users the benefit of the doubt when following instructions that have been undermined by ***** media and nonscientific experiments (Mythbusters).

The # of apps and patches probably has more to do with boot time then the actual size of those apps. Patch sizes may adversely affect boot time since the entire patch needs to load with the OS. I have a Sprint launch Pre and 5 minutes sounds about right for my 91 apps and patches.
    If i remember correctly from a boot comparison test when the Pre and 3GS came out, the iPhone 3G has about a 1.5 time boot time and the 3Gs has less than a minute. A bone stock Pre has about 2:30 to 2:45.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    That could be. I feel inadequate, I have 34 apps and patches installed, total. Anything that's required to load at startup is going to increase boot time, and since the launcher has to rescan each time you load (I think, not sure on that one) the larger the application, the longer it'll take. 130-140 apps will definitely increase your boot time, at any rate. That's a lot.
    5 to 6 minutes? Just admit you have a Blackberry.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast