Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21  
    My phone completely restarted in 2 minutes 36 seconds and completely started up from being shut down in 2 minutes.

    I have 7 Applications, 4 Linux Applications, 52 Patches, 4 Services, 1 Theme and 12 Unknown items installed.
  2. #22  
    if I was any one of you with 5 to 6 min. boot times I would run the webos repair utility on your phone and see if that helps fix it lol. I have 40/90 and my boot times are between 1.5 & 2.5 min. max . So yeah repair utility lol or web doc and reinstall.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    If i remember correctly from a boot comparison test when the Pre and 3GS came out, the iPhone 3G has about a 1.5 time boot time and the 3Gs has less than a minute. A bone stock Pre has about 2:30 to 2:45.
    Yes if Palm flashed the OS to hardware it could boot that quickly too. The problem with that is you can't update the OS without difficulty.
  4. #24  
    Haha, I was reading this and hoping someone would comment on 5-6 minute start up times... That is redic!

    Mine is around 2 minutes.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    You can put your Pre in airplane mode! That way you don't need to turn it off when you are on the flight.
    Technically you need to turn off all electronic devices during takeoff and landing. Whether people do or not is another question.
  6. #26  
    "Technically you need to turn off all electronic devices during takeoff and landing. Whether people do or not is another question."

    What is the reason for this? Or is this myth "That's the way we have always done it"?
  7. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #27  
    Any device with a crystal oscillator (an internal clock) has the potential
    to generate some small amount of Rf interference. Any device with a radio
    (even a listening one) has an oscillator that can generate more Rf interference
    on its intermediate frequency. The airline industry is primarily trying to get
    people to turn their radios off, but since so many devices have radios
    now (Cell, wifi, bluetooth etc..) they just use a blanket "turn everything off"
    statement. I follow the intent of, rather than the letter of,
    and put my Pre in Airplane mode which shuts all the radios in the Pre off.

    In the Pre 9/11 days I sometimes would ask the pilot if I could use
    my GPS receiver and often they said yes. Most GPS receivers are
    well shielded so it just wasn't a big deal.

    BTW, my Pre used to boot in 1 minute 50 seconds.
    Now it takes 3 minutes 10 seconds.
    I suspect the difference is the addition of a couple of very large 3D games
    and the encrypted /media/cryptofs partition that all apps live on now,
    introduced in 1.3.x.

    ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 03/30/2010 at 12:23 PM.
  8. #28  
    The boot time on this phone is one of a long list of things about the pre i find unacceptable
  9. #29  
    Don't forget that it syncs up all your email accounts and such too...i find that when I delete emails my pre boots quicker...
  10. #30  
    While mine did take 5 minutes 30 seconds to boot before the 800MHz patch, it now only takes 2 minutes 30 seconds.

    But yeah, I think it depends most on how full the storage is on the Pre, with the biggest issue most likely being how many apps you have installed. I've got about 3GB of apps installed myself, and the rest is filled with music. I don't think the music affects speed, but the 3GB of apps definitely slowed boot down.
  11. #31  
    Just tested mine and it went 3:20 to restart. I have several 3d games, 5 e-mail accts, 55 added applications and 11 patches. I am overclocked with the 800 patch. I would be happy to list the patches, etc. if someone wants to do a comparison to figure out which things are effecting the boot time.
    Btw, I do use Jason's auto-reboot program nightly, so I really never need to reboot during the day.
  12. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Any device with a crystal oscillator (an internal clock) has the potential
    to generate some small amount of Rf interference. Any device with a radio
    (even a listening one) has an oscillator that can generate more Rf interference
    on its intermediate frequency. The airline industry is primarily trying to get
    people to turn their radios off, but since so many devices have radios
    now (Cell, wifi, bluetooth etc..) they just use a blanket "turn everything off"
    statement. I follow the intent of, rather than the letter of,
    and put my Pre in Airplane mode which shuts all the radios in the Pre off.

    In the Pre 9/11 days I sometimes would ask the pilot if I could use
    my GPS receiver and often they said yes. Most GPS receivers are
    well shielded so it just wasn't a big deal.

    BTW, my Pre used to boot in 1 minute 50 seconds.
    Now it takes 3 minutes 10 seconds.
    I suspect the difference is the addition of a couple of very large 3D games
    and the encrypted /media/cryptofs partition that all apps live on now,
    introduced in 1.3.x.

    ian
    Very nice explanation. Saved me the trouble

    I'll hit up the repair utility when I get around to putting the 800MHz patch on. I'm traveling soon so I don't want to chance screwing up the install instructions.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  13. #33  
    Airlines ask you to turn phones off so they know whoever has a phone on during a flight could be a terrorist using it to detonate a bomb in the cargo hold. Phones won't do squat on an airplane. you get no signal at 30000 feet. Also, airlines are implementing WiFi on their planes. Kinda throws the whole radio will crash the plane argument out the window.

    It's funny, I was on a plane a while ago, put my phone on Airplane Mode... the flight attendants asked for people to turn off all devices etc... then this is the funny thing the guy said: "There are 7 people left that haven't turned off their device". LOL that's the most ridiculous thing ever.
  14. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb View Post
    It's funny, I was on a plane a while ago, put my phone on Airplane Mode... the flight attendants asked for people to turn off all devices etc... then this is the funny thing the guy said: "There are 7 people left that haven't turned off their device". LOL that's the most ridiculous thing ever.
    Ridiculous and impossible. They were just messing with your head.
    It's always cheaper to make people believe you have advanced capabilities, than to
    actually have them.

    ian
  15. #35  
    Only my BB Tour takes that long (5min plus) to boot, my pre is about 2 minutes and 15-30 seconds. It takes longer than I want sometimes...
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  16. #36  
    I had to restart right now (1.4 freeze-restart bug), and rebooted it completely. It took 4:48 minutes. About 140 apps and about 40 patches.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Don't forget that it syncs up all your email accounts and such too...i find that when I delete emails my pre boots quicker...
    I think this is key. Thanks, powerbyte. For clarification, did you mean deleting email messages or deleting email accounts?

    I just got a replacement phone from Sprint (for a faulty audio jack). The first time it loaded up (without activating, no apps or patches installed, obviously), it took about 2 minutes. Once I activated the phone and signed into my Palm Profile, the first thing it asks you to do is sign in to your various online accounts (IM, Email, Facebook, Calendar, etc - Gmail, Exchange, etc). I had 8, signed into each of them, then the phone rebooted and took at least 5 minutes. Ever since, it's taken 5-6 minutes every time from a cold start. I reinstalled my apps and patches afterwards, and don't think they made much difference.

    I haven't tried deleting all but one my email accounts yet, but will try that next. Has anyone played around with this?
    Last edited by DaDueler; 07/20/2010 at 11:34 AM.
  18. #38  
    Don't worry, boot time is not even improved with the SR71 1.2GHz kernel. I think the system is just that bad & I am doubtful on HP's ability to optimize it as they don't seem to be pushing the current updates that supposedly fix system & battery.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  19. #39  
    I just timed my VZW launch day Pre+ with 13 patches and about 210 apps...6 minutes 20 seconds. Why? Running 1.4.5.1 and Uberkernal Screenstate 500/1000
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  20. coolykoko's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #40  
    i find that the youtube downloader adds a lot to the boot time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions