Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's not a myth. The biggest problem with overclocking computers is the fear of overheating and having a fan that is inadequate for the overclocked processor. The pre is a mini computer and should be looked at the same way. The real question, however, is 45 or 50 degrees the temp we need to be worrying about, or can it go higher without problems?
    A computer CPU can do upwards of 80C without problem.

I figure this one would be similar, though past 50C I wouldn't want it in my hand anyways.
    Running the 800 Mhz patch since it's release and Jason's battery warning patch as well as battery monitor. I have had no heat or battey issues. I don't run too many 3d games (nfsu) but do stream a lot over wifi and use heavy. I have the 1350 battery and about 27 patches. The only time I get any heat is when it's on the TS but this was the same running at 500.

my .02
    d
    Updating to the patch and 1.4 actually cooled down my TS temps by about 5C.
    Got a warning with jason's patch while running scripts on a stock pre sitting on a touchstone and also hooked up via USB (to run the wosqi uninstall patches scripts). The pre had gone up to 46 degrees after running the scripts. Took it off touchstone and it climbed down to 39 degrees. Unplugged USB and it cooled fairly rapidly (down to 36 degrees w/i a few min).
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Got a warning with jason's patch while running scripts on a stock pre sitting on a touchstone and also hooked up via USB (to run the wosqi uninstall patches scripts). The pre had gone up to 46 degrees after running the scripts. Took it off touchstone and it climbed down to 39 degrees. Unplugged USB and it cooled fairly rapidly (down to 36 degrees w/i a few min).
    I have removed the 800 kernal and left the temperature patch in. I found that I still recieve warnings on my 500mhz pre while running multiple apps and charging on the touchstone. I wonder if the processor really is or is not heating up while charging on the touchstone.
  7.    #47  
    my conclusion is that believe the excessive heat when running apps or streaming videos is coming from the touchstone charger. Regardless of what mhz is on the device,once connected to the touchstone is going to send extra heat to your phone. Charge your phone using the usb cable charger,while streaming,etc,and feel the result.
    Really, you have to understand how the TS is charging the phone. It's using a method similar to magnetic induction cook tops.
    If you run the clockspeed higher forced at 800MHz, and you are making the CPU do work, you will have higher thermal dissipation. How much higher depends on how lucky you were with your phone - due to manufacturing processes Palm (and TI) have no control over, some CPUs are better than others (and usually separated out in a process called "binning").

See CPU power dissipation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for details. There is no way around this if you want to run at 800MHz constantly and use the CPU heavily without breaking at least one law of physics. As a (slightly simplistic) parallel, one of the reasons CFL bulbs use so much less energy is there is significantly less heat generated - an incandescent bulb converts most of the energy it draws into heat, not light.

Cheers, Steve
    The only time mine gets hot (40+) is when I'm charging AND streaming at the same time. If my battery is at 100% and I plug it in (to keep the battery from draining during a stream or hotspot), the temp stays low.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123