1.    #1  
    HI everyone,

I'm quite new to the palm pre, but this was what happened. I purchased a 2nd hand pre from UK - just to get a feel of it. Seller said that well it was not booting and such, so got it discounted.

Now when i received it, it booted from the Palm logo to a white screen - with somewhat diagnostics buttons. There was one for the old palm digitizer calibration and a few others to test the screen in "squares", testing bluetooth, wifi etc...

Does anyone know how to get to this screen again? cause what i did after facing this was doctor it as i suspected the OS was corrupted. it worked so now i do not get into this screen anymore.
    If you go into device info then click Preferences in the upper left hand corner, there is a listing for Quick tests and Interactive tests. Are these what you are looking for?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    device info - preferences - tests - interactive tests
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    rayln, - it's not this screen.

There was one which was available in the older palm OS for calibration. (crap i should have taken a picture of the interface)

digitizer calibration where you need to use a stylus to tap 4 corners then center of the touchscreen.

There were other stuff to test such as ( if i remember correctly)
    a. LCD screen color testing. (Red, green, blue, white)
    b. test gestures on the screen
    c. test keyboard backlight
    d. test proximity
    e. test the motor vibrator.

etc etc
    I think this is like a factory testing tool embedded in the firmware..question is is there a sequence to get into it?
    this
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    rayln, - it's not this screen.

There was one which was available in the older palm OS for calibration. (crap i should have taken a picture of the interface)

digitizer calibration where you need to use a stylus to tap 4 corners then center of the touchscreen.

There were other stuff to test such as ( if i remember correctly)
    a. LCD screen color testing. (Red, green, blue, white)
    b. test gestures on the screen
    c. test keyboard backlight
    d. test proximity
    e. test the motor vibrator.

etc etc
    I think this is like a factory testing tool embedded in the firmware..question is is there a sequence to get into it?
    interesting.
    if there were such a sequence, I imagine it would be entered via hash code in the phone app.
    ##test# (##8378#)

I believe this may be what you're looking for.

EDIT: After looking closer it appears this takes you to the same screen as:
    device info -› preferences -› tests -› interactive tests
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    ##test# (##8378#)

I believe this may be what you're looking for.

EDIT: After looking closer it appears this takes you to the same screen as:
    funnily enough, that hash code leads to the exact same tests I mentioned previously.

edit: this post is redundant. to reverse that, I'll include some info.

most modern smartphones (especially capacitative) no longer include a touch screen calibration routine (at least visible to the user).

this is all handled by the underlying software and various hardware components.

so while your old handspring or resistive touchscreen feature phone might occasionally have warranted the user to recalibrate, that is no longer the case.

unless you replace the screen itself that is. which is more feasible on the iphone.

so thank advances in technology for this.

I'm inclined to believe the OP never actually happened upon that option. everything else he described is spot on to what's available in the tests however.
    Last edited by rayln; 03/30/2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    its the right screen this guys is new to webos and just doesnt get it yet, he'll understand how the pre rolls soon enough lol
    There is also a "Demo" mode that can be accessed, but it's my understanding that activating it may also preform a "Partial Erase" so you might lose data.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz