Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Warning: This is a long post and not informative beyond me sharing my joy. I've been wanting to write this for some time and am just now getting around to it. Only wanting to share my joy.

I purchased my Pre+ on launch day with Verizon, from Best Buy. I will admit that I am a Palm Fangirl...but I also call it like I see it. For me, my love affair with Palm has been because of the zen like experience. It simply worked and that was the beauty of it. From my Zire 72, to my TX, to my 755p - I was always happy. When the Pre hit the scene last year I all but fainted! I watched the 2009 CTIA presentation, every video I could find on it, read every review, all commentary prior to the actual units hitting the store and I was convinced...I wanted a Pre. I wasn't sure how I felt about 'the cloud,' but I very much liked the sexiness of it, and the functionality of real multitasking so I was willing to try this 'cloud thing.'

Fastforward to Jan 2010. Ahhh, my joy erupted. Finally the Pre (albeit Plus at this stage) was in my hands. I'm thankful to report that aside from a one time quirky incident with the proximity sensor and the occasional double typing (which lessens more and more with the increase of keyboard usage), I haven't had any problems. No resets, no battery looseness, no oreo, just an incredible device that simply works. Ahhh, the zen of Palm still exists . I was fortunate enough to not suffer any of the problems that others did with the update. It took a little time to get used to the keyboard (coming from the 755p), but it didn't take long. I can even text while driving (at red lights of course ).

The form factor, I still find to be so sexy (dare I say it?) and the functionality, after all that is of the utmost importance, is wonderful. It does what I need it to do. Yes, I do mix Datebk6 and I thought I couldn't function without my 'color coded' calendar...but yet, I manage. Funny, how sometimes our reaction is to proclaim what we can not deal with...until we try. Perhaps I should not say "we" for I can only speak for myself. My apologies.

At any rate, the essence of this tool is that it is a phone. And as a phone it works very well for me. I haven't missed any calls, though with some calls I wish I were so fortunate...but I digress. I love the new phone log set up in 1.4. Just awesome and far more efficient. Oh and the earbuds that they included are a nice touch.

I find webOS to be quite intuitive (ahhh, have I mentioned the zen of Palm yet? ). I didn't have to read the manual, though not a bad idea, to figure out how to use it. The cards?? Oh man, I love them!! LOVE them, I tell ya! Friday night and Saturday I found myself without access to cable TV. Being in ACC country and loving basketball as much as I do, this was simply unacceptable. THANK GOD FOR THE PRE+ and Radio Time!! I streamed the games for HOURS (10+ in all) with no problems. All the while I was sending text messages, reading threads here, searching the app catalog for things to try out and plugging things into my calendar...with NO lags. NONE!

I'll tell you the truth, I just can't keep my hands off this thing. I'm always buying or trying out an app just so I can have an excuse to touch it. Every day I'm finding something else in the app catalog to try. It's a good thing we don't have as many apps as Apple yet...I'd never get any work done!

There are a few things that I would really like (without using a patch to get) : Yahoo IM, DataViz (purchased it for my TX and 755p and will gladly pay good money for it again), Handyshopper (though I think Shopping List is making me miss it less and less), and a BT keyboard so I don't have to take my MacBook to all my meetings. The TX was perfect for this. Yes, things can always be improved upon...but for now I am very, very happy. Thank you Palm. You've always come through for me.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
  2.    #2  
    Ahh, it felt good to get that out.
    wow I just read that , and then I looked at your name and laughed =D. I never owned a palm device and I still don't (using iPhone 1st gen). Been waiting on at&t ever since I saw it launch on Sprint. I use my friends Pre on sprint sometimes and just practice typing to get myself ready lol... kinda sad.
    REALLY? why would you switch over from the i phone? I'll trade you straight across!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cursiv View Post
    wow I just read that , and then I looked at your name and laughed =D. I never owned a palm device and I still don't (using iPhone 1st gen). Been waiting on at&t ever since I saw it launch on Sprint. I use my friends Pre on sprint sometimes and just practice typing to get myself ready lol... kinda sad.
    LOL I know, I was in love before I even bought it, now I'm over the moon! I can totally relate to your excitement. Here's hoping you love your GSM Pre as much as I love my Pre+.
    congratulations on your new found love affair with a pre+, and welcome to the forums : )
    happy for you. Keep enjoying!!!
    Ditto
    Great post! Congrats on your new love affair!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks everyone!! I LOVE my Pre+. Love it, love it! And the Pre|Central community has been of immense help and support to me. I lurked here loooooong before I joined. Thank you all!
  11.    #11  
    Ok, while I'm at it ( ) let me tell you one more thing about my love affair, as if you can handle anymore. l My Highlander has the dual cd and tape player set up and I've been using a tape adapter thingie that I picked up at Walmart years ago to play my iPod in the car BUT... I decided to take advantage of the 3.5m jack and stream my radio stations and podcasts the same way via my Pre+.

And then something else struck me...how about seeing if I can use the phone in this same manner. Imagine the shock, and extreme happiness that hit me when I plugged it up and made my first phone call as I conversed 'through' the speaker system in my car. SO COOL! Yes, it would be cooler if my Highlander had BT, but I'm not buying a new car. And this works blissfully well. Yes, I have a BT ear piece, but this works so much better. Controlling the volume through the speakers makes it so much easier to hear. It sits beautifully in the dock that used to be reserved for my iPod and serves multiple functions. Can't beat that.
    Does that actually work? That's interesting... never thought of trying that. Cool!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Does that actually work? That's interesting... never thought of trying that. Cool!
    Oh absolutely it works! Flawlessly in fact! My daughter thought it was super cool...and truth be told, so did her mother. Give it a try and let me know what you think. I believe you'll be pleased.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Ohhh another Palm Fangirl!! YES!! I am right there with you, I am in love with my Pre as well for exactly the same reasons! Coming from a Centro that was like another appendage, my Pre never leaves my side.

Yes, I too miss my color coded, icon stuffed Datebk6!!

Thank you for that wonderful, POSITIVE review! We need more of that.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I've recently purchased a Pixi after my long love affair with Palm. Your experience sounds alot like mine. I'll be posting a similar review on the Pixi board soon.
  16.    #16  
    <in the voice of Optimus Prime> Palm Fangirls, UNITE!
    Thanks for sharing the joy. You are in the right place for that. Are you the type of fan-girl that also is interested in mods and tweaks for your phone?

If so, you should check out the PreWare application as a great place to find cool modifications. Also check out webOSQuickInstall for the same reason. And also check into the 800mhz and 720mhz kernels that were released buy a couple of developers last week. It makes the Pre blazing fast.

I have that on mine, and I have a theme installed that makes my Pre look almost exactly like an iPhone. I love to show it to my Droid and iPhone friends. They are always impressed, especially with the 800mhz kernel (the stock Pre runs at 500mhz).

Also, tell your daughter to call her friends when they are playing games on their iPhones. It will shut off the game and they have to start over when the phone rings. Same for sending a text message.

However, she can be playing a 3D game such as Asphalt (there are quote a few) and the Palm will just pause the game for the call or text, and the resume when she is done. That really impresses the younger iPhone users!

Welcome, and thanks for sharing the joy. If you watched the recent voting over at laptopmag.com, you can see why Palm Pre has been the upset winner over two heavily favored rivals. The fact that twice as many people voted as in the contest where the iPhone was defeated (by a blackberry, no less!) you can see that this community is very loyal.

I think you will find the users and developers at PreCentral to be the best anywhere. They certainly have helped me a lot, and helped me have the confidence to stick with Palm when the entire world told me to get a Motorola Droid. It was really hard for me to wait the extra months between the MotoDroid launch and the Pre Plus launch because I really wanted to move up from my Centro. I am glad I waited, and I'm glad I was able to get enough info from PreCentral to convince me to wait. Bet phone ever!

Please continue to post as you experience new joy. We all really like to hear about that, especially when there are trolls out there that just like to complain! Oh, you should also head over to verizonwireless.com and Amazon.com and post a user review. Others will benefit from your experiences!

+1 to you.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    I've recently purchased a Pixi after my long love affair with Palm. Your experience sounds alot like mine. I'll be posting a similar review on the Pixi board soon.
    I look forward to reading your review and I'm very happy to hear that your experience has been just as positive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3Lov3r View Post
    Ok, while I'm at it ( ) let me tell you one more thing about my love affair, as if you can handle anymore. l My Highlander has the dual cd and tape player set up and I've been using a tape adapter thingie that I picked up at Walmart years ago to play my iPod in the car BUT... I decided to take advantage of the 3.5m jack and stream my radio stations and podcasts the same way via my Pre+.

And then something else struck me...how about seeing if I can use the phone in this same manner. Imagine the shock, and extreme happiness that hit me when I plugged it up and made my first phone call as I conversed 'through' the speaker system in my car. SO COOL! Yes, it would be cooler if my Highlander had BT, but I'm not buying a new car. And this works blissfully well. Yes, I have a BT ear piece, but this works so much better. Controlling the volume through the speakers makes it so much easier to hear. It sits beautifully in the dock that used to be reserved for my iPod and serves multiple functions. Can't beat that.
    FYI, I have a Garmin 765T GPS, and I bluetooth to that. It lets me plug in a microphone so I don't sound like I'm on a car speakerphone (which always sounds terrible to the person being called at 80 mph). My Garmin plugs in to the aux jack on my car stereo.

That's way cheaper than a new car. I would recommend a newer model than the 765T, but it might be helpful to you if you are looking for toys to expand the joy of your Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3Lov3r View Post

Are you using the microphone in the Pre when you do this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast