Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    You're right, their job is to sell phones. Their job is to sell what people want and won't return. Palm's job is to have enough marketing $$ to showcase their stuff in the stores. Can't blame Motorola for having a top selling solid product.
    Nice triple post. Anyway, no we can't 'blame' Motorola for making a solid product, but why would Verizon sign Palm then if they aren't going to promote it? Lame.
    I went into a verizon store and played with a pre model that was near the entrance! It was almost shocking because the last time I went, it was towards the back. This time it was right next to the droid.

also, a young female came into purchase a phone. After playing with the droid and pre, she told the salesman that she wanted the pre. The salesman went straight to discussing phone plans. It was nice to see that he wasn't shoving down the droid even though the person has already mad a decision.

I know we've all read terrible things regarding the pre in verizon stores, but there is some good out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by agny6283 View Post
    I went into a verizon store and played with a pre model that was near the entrance! It was almost shocking because the last time I went, it was towards the back. This time it was right next to the droid.

also, a young female came into purchase a phone. After playing with the droid and pre, she told the salesman that she wanted the pre. The salesman went straight to discussing phone plans. It was nice to see that he wasn't shoving down the droid even though the person has already mad a decision.

I know we've all read terrible things regarding the pre in verizon stores, but there is some good out there.
    cool, when you have time can you please post store address in this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...zon-store.html

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by burghguy View Post
    Just joined after purchasing my Palm Pre Plus online from VZW. I visited a "premium retail" store in my area and the salesmen (5 young guys sitting around) were incredulous about my interest in the Palm equipment. They tried to convince me that all stores had returned their Palm inventory and that the Droid was a much better option anyhow. I walked out letting them know that they would never get my business....
    Burghguy,what where the cross streets for the store address? If you have time , can you please post in http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...on-store.html? Palm is reading that thread.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Like, future webOS devices? LIke the company will adopt webOS?

Agreed. Verizon is killing Palm.
    I believe Verizon just played nice with Palm in order to get the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus before AT&T. Verizon had no intention of pushing the product, their only motivation had to be to one up AT&T even if it meant hurting Palm in the Process.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I've been wondering that too. There is no upside to VZW carrying the Pre and and I can't figure out why they even bothered.
    To one up AT&T, that's the only reason that makes sense. Unfortunately they did it at the expense of Palm.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Well if you were a company which one would you promote..

One that PAYS you to sell there product, and gives you a Kickback.

Or the other one, that is a great phone, but does not give you any kickbacks for each one you sell??

If you remember, Google is giving carriers that sell there phone, money for every one they sell, and a kickback with Google adds.
    Last edited by Vkitty; 03/31/2010 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Oh course it is good for Verizon. I am just saying, they should have never gotten the Pre then.
    How exactly would that have helped Palm?
    I've been recently hired on as a salesman in one of Verizon's top 5 sales stores in the country.

I want to first say that I'm merely a salesman with my own personal opinions and are not speaking on behalf of Verizon.

I pre-ordered the G1 and have been an android supporter since it's inception and recently switched to Verizon and picking up the Droid prior to my employment.

As soon I was hired I found out I could get a "concession line" for free and noticed that the Droid wasn't on the list. After having read a good review of the WebOS software in passing and noticing I could get the Pre along with a plethora of blackberry's and LG phones, I decided to go against what everyone else in my training class was telling me and I picked up the Pre.

I was told by my trainer "If you can sell the Pre, you'll do really well", which I interpreted as being a tough phone to sell. Furthermore, the Pre had a $10 spiv at the time of my hiring (about a month ago).

So now I have a Droid for my personal line and a Pre as my concession line.

Last week was my first full week and I've already sold 3 Pre's. I know that may not seem like a lot, but I've had to do a lot of other BS besides selling being as it was my first week on the floor. I told a co-worker "who says the Pre doesn't sell" as I was selling a Pre, body glove, touchstone, charger.. the whole lot. She replies "you've sold more than everyone else combined".

After showing my co-workers the simplicity of the software, the stability of the OS (no advanced task killer needed for WebOS), I have slowly began to change their opinions. One co-worker recently picked up the Pixi.I've had many co-workers curiously ask me about the phone, primarily the Flextronic tech guys. One of which now wants to replace his droid with the Pre.

I tend to use both devices for different things. It seems the Pre gets better phone reception and I prefer to use it to make phone calls, it's also clearer. I like to use it in the gym as my music player, however I do find Pandora to be more sluggish on the Pre than the Android. I absolutely DETEST the way the Pre handles Facebook contacts, primarily how it integrates ALL the facebook contacts and not the ones "already on my device" as does the Android does. I also prefer the Pre's calendar. So as you see, I really and truly like both devices.

I do agree that with you guys that the Verizon sales staff aren't truly tuned in to the Pre. However, I do not blame Verizon, I blame Palm. Why bother learning a phone that NO ONE is requesting? I've had to SELL this phone. Other people specifically come in the store saying "I've heard about that Droid" or "my friend has a blackberry and I want one"... so why bother pushing the Pre? We do not get paid to push one phone or the other. We get paid to sell Verizon's services and our phones are tools to sell our service.

I personally prefer Android and WebOS software compared to RIM, WM 6.5, and Apple... but it is up to our discretion to sell whichever product we prefer to sell.

It is Palm's own fault that Verizon employees aren't in love with the Palm. The phone simply wasn't marketed well and to be frank, the overall hardware design of the Pre has many times been considered "feminine" by many co-workers and customers. I believe that WebOS is superior in many ways to Android but also lacking in many ways as well (most notably customization and overall adoption aka more apps). I also believe the Pre's hardware is severely lacking compared to other options. These are not Verizon's problems but Palm's.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonBlake View Post
    I've been recently hired on as a salesman in one of Verizon's top 5 sales stores in the country.

I want to first say that I'm merely a salesman with my own personal opinions and are not speaking on behalf of Verizon.

I pre-ordered the G1 and have been an android supporter since it's inception and recently switched to Verizon and picking up the Droid prior to my employment.

As soon I was hired I found out I could get a "concession line" for free and noticed that the Droid wasn't on the list. After having read a good review of the WebOS software in passing and noticing I could get the Pre along with a plethora of blackberry's and LG phones, I decided to go against what everyone else in my training class was telling me and I picked up the Pre.

I was told by my trainer "If you can sell the Pre, you'll do really well", which I interpreted as being a tough phone to sell. Furthermore, the Pre had a $10 spiv at the time of my hiring (about a month ago).

So now I have a Droid for my personal line and a Pre as my concession line.

Last week was my first full week and I've already sold 3 Pre's. I know that may not seem like a lot, but I've had to do a lot of other BS besides selling being as it was my first week on the floor. I told a co-worker "who says the Pre doesn't sell" as I was selling a Pre, body glove, touchstone, charger.. the whole lot. She replies "you've sold more than everyone else combined".

After showing my co-workers the simplicity of the software, the stability of the OS (no advanced task killer needed for WebOS), I have slowly began to change their opinions. One co-worker recently picked up the Pixi.I've had many co-workers curiously ask me about the phone, primarily the Flextronic tech guys. One of which now wants to replace his droid with the Pre.

I tend to use both devices for different things. It seems the Pre gets better phone reception and I prefer to use it to make phone calls, it's also clearer. I like to use it in the gym as my music player, however I do find Pandora to be more sluggish on the Pre than the Android. I absolutely DETEST the way the Pre handles Facebook contacts, primarily how it integrates ALL the facebook contacts and not the ones "already on my device" as does the Android does. I also prefer the Pre's calendar. So as you see, I really and truly like both devices.

I do agree that with you guys that the Verizon sales staff aren't truly tuned in to the Pre. However, I do not blame Verizon, I blame Palm. Why bother learning a phone that NO ONE is requesting? I've had to SELL this phone. Other people specifically come in the store saying "I've heard about that Droid" or "my friend has a blackberry and I want one"... so why bother pushing the Pre? We do not get paid to push one phone or the other. We get paid to sell Verizon's services and our phones are tools to sell our service.

I personally prefer Android and WebOS software compared to RIM, WM 6.5, and Apple... but it is up to our discretion to sell whichever product we prefer to sell.

It is Palm's own fault that Verizon employees aren't in love with the Palm. The phone simply wasn't marketed well and to be frank, the overall hardware design of the Pre has many times been considered "feminine" by many co-workers and customers. I believe that WebOS is superior in many ways to Android but also lacking in many ways as well (most notably customization and overall adoption aka more apps). I also believe the Pre's hardware is severely lacking compared to other options. These are not Verizon's problems but Palm's.
    Appreciate your take as we don't often hear a "behind the scenes" viewpoint--thanks for explaining.
    Agreed that the pre had a very quiet launch on Verizon in late Feb--much more quiet than the Droid which some accounts totalled at $100 million budget. I'm not sure why this happened--ie whether Google paid alot upfront to advertise beforehand or whether Google and Verizon shared an upfront advertising budget that was unusually high for a phone--I suspect it was the latter. Sprint had tried harder when the pre launched to train employees beforehand and there were displays up everywhere and most Sprint employees knew about the phone even before it launched. I suspect Palm was shocked that Verizon was such a contrast (even if they did not expect the Sprint enthusiasm). They have learned a painful and expensive lesson with the Verizon launch.

Still you can't just say that Verizon employees were neutral and it was only the customer that did not ask for the phone--the Verizon employees actively and enthusiastically steered people who asked for the pre away from it (pls see thread following for examples of this: (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...zon-store.html)

Also I think the hardware "femininization" critique is overdone. You could just as well say that the Droid is overly masculine to a person who wants a neutral phone,--all those sharp corners look ugly to some.
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    I agree with the first two lines 100%. However, the following items are debatable:
    1. I guess if you can prove that the Pre has had more returns than the Droid you could make a good argument. I personally have not come across facts for this.
    2. Droid screen is bigger but is in my opinion debatable if it is better.
    3. I think the popular apps are gaining momentum on with Palm. However, they are still way behind Apple and Google. I would argue that more apps is better, rather the quality of apps.
    Your points 2 & 5 are why the Verizon folks are pushing the Droid rather than the Pre.
    I'm not a Pre +/Pixi + hater so with that said...

1. Unless Verizon has cold hard numbers it's near impossible to determine who has the highest return rate. I know from personal / close friend experience that the Droids (Moto and HTC) are well built. I have one friend out of several who had to return a Droid for malfunctioning hardware. I returned mine because vanilla Android bored me and it wasn't the user experience I wanted. HTC's Sense UI was closer to what I wanted, but it was slow and frustrating to use. I moved on to the Pre +, phone 1 - sever backlight bleed, phone 2 - several stuck pixels (showed blue), phone 3 - bad keyboard, fourth phone shows up tomorrow. My co-worker and his wife returned their Pre + for keyboard issues as well.

2.Screen like/dislike is a preference but I wish that Palm had that 3.7 but realize it'd be tough to make it work in the Pre + form factor. Considering I've had a Pre (tried it out last June) and two Pre + phones with bad screens I'd say they have QA issues. Of course my 4 Palm phones are a small sample and I could just have bad luck.

3. I agree that it's not the number but the quality. However, WebOS market has work to be done, but I see great potential.

I've chosen the Pre+ because I really do like WebOS better than any other platform and that's why I'm willing to be patient and wait for a good phone. My issues have all been hardware, eventually I have to get a good one right?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234