Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71
  1. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmoons View Post
    I'm pretty positive that Google is throwing money at Verizon to promote Android-based phones. With the kind of cash they have, it would be no surprise. I hate Google crap and I'm sick and tired of their monolithic behavior. I agree, Verizon has utterly SUCKED at marketing the Pre. The two stores in my area have just shoved it in a little corner while the store is plastered with huge Droid posters.
    I agree with your post.

    Recent news

    Google Is Paying Carriers and Phone Makers to Adopt Android (Phone Scoop)

    Google paying carriers to adopt Android?

    And here is the google response which says they share advertising revenue just like yahoo and Microsoft.

    Google: We ain’t paying carriers jack! | Google Android Blog

    But then again , think about it , which of the three makes more money on advertising revenue ? Google , Yahoo or Microsoft.

    While it is legal now , wait till you see android reach 60% market share, this can be called monopolistic. They have to provide a choice of search for any android customer.

    Palm OTOH, cannot give any extra money to Verizon.

    Long story short , in addition to selling Droid , Verizon gets extra money from the searches on the droid from Google.

    I agree with most here that the Pre build quality is bad compared to Droid, but Droid has its glaring flaws. Keyboard is horrible, browser is sloow and the OS as a whole is a good two years behind WebOS.
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #42  
    And for those folks whose pointless arguments are only on build quality
    Read this
    Google, Verizon Deepen Ties - WSJ.com

    There are more reasons for promoting the "DROID"
  3. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #43  
    It's fine if Verizon would rather push the droid, but from what I have read, Verizon employees are actively ****-talking about the Pre, and I don't think that's appropriate.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I agree with most here that the Pre build quality is bad compared to Droid, but Droid has its glaring flaws. Keyboard is horrible, browser is sloow and the OS as a whole is a good two years behind WebOS.
    I agree! To me, Android seems slow and not innovative. WebOS and an easy, intuitive interface, and the deck of cards feature is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    It's fine if Verizon would rather push the droid, but from what I have read, Verizon employees are actively ****-talking about the Pre, and I don't think that's appropriate.
    Agreed^
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Well, if this is true, why did they even put the Palm+ models on their network.
    I've been wondering that too. There is no upside to VZW carrying the Pre and and I can't figure out why they even bothered.
  6. #46  
    I've played with the hd2, wife owned and returned samsung moment, seen a bunch of nexus one videos and played with my mother in laws iphone. Out of all the phones and softwares, palm has the best option for everyone. For people who are new to smartphones and need to be connected, the pre is the easiest phone to use. I don't see why verizon don't push palm devices harder. Some customers don't care about specs and big screens.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I've been wondering that too. There is no upside to VZW carrying the Pre and and I can't figure out why they even bothered.
    Just to laugh in Sprint's face, we have NOTHING on them. They got the Droid eris (the HTC Hero, but "cooler"), the Droid (To kill the Samsung moment, which never had a chance anyway), and the only way to kill the Palm pre was to make the pre+.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Just to laugh in Sprint's face, we have NOTHING on them. They got the Droid eris (the HTC Hero, but "cooler"), the Droid (To kill the Samsung moment, which never had a chance anyway), and the only way to kill the Palm pre was to make the pre+.
    That may well be the reason Verizon is carrying the Pre, they don't want Sprint looking like they have a wider range of smartphones.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    It's fine if Verizon would rather push the droid, but from what I have read, Verizon employees are actively ****-talking about the Pre, and I don't think that's appropriate.
    I don't think they are breaking any laws.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    And for those folks whose pointless arguments are only on build quality
    Read this
    Google, Verizon Deepen Ties - WSJ.com

    There are more reasons for promoting the "DROID"
    True, there are plenty of reasons for Verizon to promote the Droid. It makes sense that they would join with Google to try and counteract the Apple./AT&T juggernaut. It's not good news for Palm but that doesn't mean its not good for Verizon.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I don't think they are breaking any laws.
    I would hope not. Thats not the point though...
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    True, there are plenty of reasons for Verizon to promote the Droid. It makes sense that they would join with Google to try and counteract the Apple./AT&T juggernaut. It's not good news for Palm but that doesn't mean its not good for Verizon.
    Oh course it is good for Verizon. I am just saying, they should have never gotten the Pre then.
  12. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    True, there are plenty of reasons for Verizon to promote the Droid. It makes sense that they would join with Google to try and counteract the Apple./AT&T juggernaut. It's not good news for Palm but that doesn't mean its not good for Verizon.
    Well , like someone said , there is a difference in not pushing and trash talking. As long as Verizon employees do not talk trash Pre, its a fair game.

    Palm should release Pre on T Mobile too, plus add other countries to the unlocked GSM list (Russia,Brazil,Australia, India, Malaysia,South Africa). They better get some sales before releasing a new handset.
  13. #53  
    I think Verizon is carrying WebOS devices because they are still convinced that it has legs (or at least they did when they agreed to carry Palm). It is also possible that they know what Palm has coming next. But that's at the corporate level.

    At the individual store level, it's possible that they're pushing Droids because the Droids have stopped moving. You don't push something if you don't have to. But I have absolutely no facts to back that up--it's pure speculation.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heclaboy82 View Post
    I've played with the hd2, wife owned and returned samsung moment, seen a bunch of nexus one videos and played with my mother in laws iphone. Out of all the phones and softwares, palm has the best option for everyone. For people who are new to smartphones and need to be connected, the pre is the easiest phone to use. I don't see why verizon don't push palm devices harder. Some customers don't care about specs and big screens.
    Its called "Marketing". Palm didn't do it. Verizon already spent 100 million on Droid. So they won't do it.
  15. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think Verizon is carrying WebOS devices because they are still convinced that it has legs (or at least they did when they agreed to carry Palm). It is also possible that they know what Palm has coming next. But that's at the corporate level.

    At the individual store level, it's possible that they're pushing Droids because the Droids have stopped moving. You don't push something if you don't have to. But I have absolutely no facts to back that up--it's pure speculation.
    I guess its basically providing a choice to their customers, they don't want to leave out any phone. I am sure they want iPhone too. We are now hearing the rumor that iPhone is coming to Verizon. If that happens , ATT is toast. Sprint will be just fine. I doubt they loose any more customers.
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #56  
    This has been discussed in many threads, I guess we never get bored talking about Verizon and Pre
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by burghguy View Post
    Just joined after purchasing my Palm Pre Plus online from VZW. I visited a "premium retail" store in my area and the salesmen (5 young guys sitting around) were incredulous about my interest in the Palm equipment. They tried to convince me that all stores had returned their Palm inventory and that the Droid was a much better option anyhow. I walked out letting them know that they would never get my business....
    What's your point?? They (the 5 young guys sitting around) weren't getting your business in the first place...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Maybe cell phone companies are different, but I'm pretty sure commission sales aren't taken back if the product is returned. In other words, when Verizon processes the return, it doesn't look up what salesman sold the phone to them and deduct the original commission from their next paycheck. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I've never heard of commssion sales jobs working like that before.
    You've most likely never worked in cellular commission sales then....EVER. When you make a sale, it is attached to your sales number. When it is returned, it is returned on your sales number. Whatever spiffs were accrued from the sale is negated when everything is calculated.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post


    There it is. The Verizon salesmen don't even care about selling the Palm phones, all they care about is the Droid. This is BS, the Verizon store across the street from my Safeway had a poster for the BB Tour, Droid, and NOTHING for the Pre Plus. This is totally lame. There job is to sell phones.
    You're right, their job is to sell phones. Their job is to sell what people want and won't return. Palm's job is to have enough marketing $$ to showcase their stuff in the stores. Can't blame Motorola for having a top selling solid product.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  20. Thead's Avatar
    Posts
    317 Posts
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    You've most likely never worked in cellular commission sales then....EVER.
    Yeah. Which is why I said "Maybe cell phone companies are different..." That implies that I wasn't sure about what I was saying. And apparently I was wrong. I've actually never worked in any sort of commission sales job. I've just had several friends who did and any time I would buy something they would get me to buy all the extra accessories, extended warranties, etc. and then just return them the next day. They still got credit for making the accessory and warranty sale even if it was returned.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions