Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The alleged concern is that the Pre is more likely to be returned and as a result that's a lost sale provided the customer doesn't pick another phone from the store.
    I get that, partly. But if they do return it and they've signed a contract, they will a) get another phone, Palm or otherwise or b) pay the ETF to get out of their contract and move to another carrier...which is more money for Verizon, in the lump sum amount anyway. I would imagine, though not fact, that most people would get the same device or another one with the carrier versus leaving the company altogether...so I'm still not sure I understand how Verizon feels compelled to push one device over another, as long as there's a signature on a contract.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3Lov3r View Post
    I get that, partly. But if they do return it and they've signed a contract, they will a) get another phone, Palm or otherwise or b) pay the ETF to get out of their contract and move to another carrier...which is more money for Verizon, in the lump sum amount anyway. I would imagine, though not fact, that most people would get the same device or another one with the carrier versus leaving the company altogether...so I'm still not sure I understand how Verizon feels compelled to push one device over another, as long as there's a signature on a contract.
    You are forgetting about the 30 day return window.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Maybe cell phone companies are different, but I'm pretty sure commission sales aren't taken back if the product is returned. In other words, when Verizon processes the return, it doesn't look up what salesman sold the phone to them and deduct the original commission from their next paycheck. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I've never heard of commssion sales jobs working like that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Two possible reasons.

1) The salesman doesn't want to sell a phone that will be returned. If he/she believes one phone is more likely to be returned than another, he/she is more likely to push the "safe" choice.

2) Its possible that their are some incentives to sell particular phone. Maybe Verizon would prefer to sell more Droids.

I'm more inclined to believe #2 is the likely reason. From what I've read on here, where people have reported similar stories, the salesperson sometimes got into an all out argument with them. This, versus painting a valid picture of why they felt one was a better device for the customer with pros and cons. If they cared so much about their customers "well being" as a cellular user, it seems to me that they'd use better people skills and an actual sales strategy versus the stunts they've pulled..as if it were personal.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Last night, my 9 year old nephew said "I want a Droid. Droids are the best phones." I told him "Nuh uh. Droids are for noobs. My Pre is way better than the Droid." To which he replied "Pre's are for hobos." I wasn't exactly sure what to say after that...
    Awesome... same conversation with my 10 year old!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You are forgetting about the 30 day return window.

No, I did consider it. The general public is very different from these forums. And usually if they go for a new phone they want a new phone. So if they don't like they one they initially chose, they'll get another one versus going back to the old one. My experience has been that the general public, using my family and friends as my sample pool, aren't as "attached" to their devices as we are. So when they're ready to upgrade, they're ready to upgrade and really don't want to go back to using the previous unit. I could be wrong, and I'm not presenting this as a blanket statement, just considering my sample pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    Maybe cell phone companies are different, but I'm pretty sure commission sales aren't taken back if the product is returned. In other words, when Verizon processes the return, it doesn't look up what salesman sold the phone to them and deduct the original commission from their next paycheck. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I've never heard of commssion sales jobs working like that before.
    I worked in manufacturing sales and returns were certainly credited back against commissions.

It wasn't as swift as deducting your next paycheck, but during the commission period when the product was returned, it simply put a negative entry against your total sales.

A company won't do well if you're paying your employees extra for product that lands back in your store two weeks later...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3Lov3r View Post
    No, I did consider it. The general public is very different from these forums. And usually if they go for a new phone they want a new phone. So if they don't like they one they initially chose, they'll get another one versus going back to the old one. My experience has been that the general public, using my family and friends as my sample pool, aren't as "attached" to their devices as we are. So when they're ready to upgrade, they're ready to upgrade and really don't want to go back to using the previous unit. I could be wrong, and I'm not presenting this as a blanket statement, just considering my sample pool.
    You also have additional factors:

1. They may return the device on a day when the original salesperson is not in the store. The customer may buy another device, but the original salesperson loses the sale.

2. They may return the device to a different store altogether, same result as above.

3. They may return the device and go to a different carrier, ie Pre Plus returned for an iPhone.

I agree, the person is likely to just pick a different phone which is no hit to the carrier, but as illustrated above, the sales individual can take a hit.
    Verizon is constantly running ads on Hulu for the Pre Plus. I think it depends on the store/location.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    I think the newest reason is that the iPhone is coming to many networks, including Verizon, this summer. Verizon is planning on lighting up their 4G network soon (to the public), so expect the 4G iPhone to just eat up the market where blackberries aren't needed....

Report: New iPhone to be on non-AT&T networks – SciTechBlog - CNN.com Blogs

http://www.edibleapple.com/iphone-hd...-a4-processor/
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    How reliable is this info?
    You also have additional factors:

1. They may return the device on a day when the original salesperson is not in the store. The customer may buy another device, but the original salesperson loses the sale.

2. They may return the device to a different store altogether, same result as above.

3. They may return the device and go to a different carrier, ie Pre Plus returned for an iPhone.

I agree, the person is likely to just pick a different phone which is no hit to the carrier, but as illustrated above, the sales individual can take a hit.
    Yes, I will absolutely concede this point. However, the behavior of individual sales persons being presented across the internet is just POOR behavior. And while I understand the "concern" for their individual bottom line, it is a risk you take when you sign up in retail. If I were in charge of Verizon I would be getting rid of people who represented my company in such a light...if they were in fact, not behaving in accordance with my directives. Because 'I' would be more inclined to leave a company after being mistreated by it's sales staff than because of a phone.
    i returned my pre once, never again
    Quote Originally Posted by drjjd3 View Post
    How reliable is this info?
    At the moment it is rumor and speculation, nothing more. Best guess is it MIGHT hit VZW sometime after September.

On the other hand, maybe it hits in June? But that seems unlikely, given the effort going toward the iPad at the moment.

At any rate, it is just guessing for the moment, nothing concrete.
    I worked in manufacturing sales and returns were certainly credited back against commissions.

It wasn't as swift as deducting your next paycheck, but during the commission period when the product was returned, it simply put a negative entry against your total sales.

A company won't do well if you're paying your employees extra for product that lands back in your store two weeks later...
    yes. Most sales jobs are like this. It's called a chargeback and it's perfectly legal and normal.

palm's problems are of their own making. Why is it so hard for some people to accept this? This phone has done poorly because Palm made numerous tactical errors. Get over it, people. It's not the end of the world.
    I'm pretty positive that Google is throwing money at Verizon to promote Android-based phones. With the kind of cash they have, it would be no surprise. I hate Google crap and I'm sick and tired of their monolithic behavior. I agree, Verizon has utterly SUCKED at marketing the Pre. The two stores in my area have just shoved it in a little corner while the store is plastered with huge Droid posters.
    LMAO!!!! i think its funny, palm has no one to blame but themselves. all this hate for verizon is ridiculous. i have a pre and wish i didnt, the phone is just ok at best. cant wait for iphone launch on verizon this year.
    To simply put it, the Droid is currently Verizon's flagship device and a carrier will always try to push their flagship device over any other device. It's just how it works, plain and simple. Here in a few weeks it will probably shift from the Motorola Droid to the HTC Incredible.
    Palm Sucks
  20.    #40  
    I skimmed the recent comment, and many people said I am off base and their job is to sell contracts. Well, if this is true, why did they even put the Palm+ models on their network. The droid was selling good, why did they put the pre if they are not going to try and sell it? They are still pointing people to the Droid. Hell, they should get rid of all the winmo 6.x phones, cause no one wants those. And, they should ditch the Curve 8530, cause the Tour is better. Do you see my point. They should try and make a sale on ANY phone. My friend went in asking about the Pre and he directed him to the Droid. That is lame.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast